Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

A question about hand catching the P3

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by KevinfromUK, Jul 22, 2015.

1. KevinfromUK

I haven't got a P3 yet, but I've been so spooked by the stories of how easily the gimbal can be damaged that I'd like to hand catch from day 1.

It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that there are two possible approaches to doing this:

1) Get it above shoulder height, grab a rear strut with your right hand (if you're right-handed) then with your left thumb, take the throttle control on the transmitter down to zero.

2) Get it above shoulder height then put the transmitter down. Approach the P3, grab the right hand rear strut, and with your thumb, switch it off using the button on the quad itself.

I'm all for the second option, as you've both hands free and you're not distracted by having to do two things at once. But am I missing something?

2. Monte55

I'm right handed and always catch with my left . I also have my tx on a neck strap. I would never put my tx down until all is shut down

3. wotblake

I always catch at the max height I can reach. I don't want to get my face closer than I have to. Also - I always wear glasses in the event something goes wrong...

Bill7259 likes this.
  4. msinger

Approved Vendor

Do it like this:

5. duse500

No reason to put the transmitter down.
    Just grab the landing gear and throttle down.
    I keep it above my head and the camera facing away from me(BUTT UGLY,)
    Hover and downwind

S5S5G6 and Robin Slater like this.
  6. Robin Slater

I hand catch mine always. hover at 1.5 meters or 5 foot and walk up behind, catch with your right hand and shut down with your left thumb - much the safest way to keep the crap blown up from a ground landing out of your lens, motors etc. Kev where in UK are you from? I'm from Tamworth

7. MikeON

I use method 1. I haven't tried method 2, but unless you can hold it perfectly level and stationary until shut down, I think it would be revving motors trying to right itself.

SENC likes this.
  8. tvckz

Method Number 3 - the best of all mentioned.

Use your girlfriend for that. (Girlfriend with big boobs is a must have these days) Plus you get a great view on your iPad

222.jpg

#8 tvckz, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    FotoGeek, dronebandit, ImJim and 9 others like this.
  9. Nick Davis

Yes I agree with most people on here. I always hover to a height that I can easily reach up and grab the vertical part of the left landing skid with my right hand. The moment that I grab onto the landing gear the Phantom will begin to rev its motors a bit to level itself. That is why I always immediately pull the throttle all the way down and hold it there until the motors shut off. It usually takes about 3-5 seconds. You have to make sure and commit to the grab, hold on tight, and not move your arm or the Phantom until the motors shut down. Good luck!

10. KevinfromUK

OP here - thank you all for your
    useful advice.

S5S5G6 likes this.
  11. Zigs

I might add one more thing. Make sure you know what the ground is under foot as you approach the copter. Gopher holes, etc. can make you look mighty foolish.

--zigs

S5S5G6 and Bill7259 like this.
  12. kdrak

Purposeless hand catching ......but you can injure yourself

13. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not at all ... with care, there is no risk of injury to yourself ... and no risk to the Phantom or gimbal.

To the OP ... one last tip
    As you bring the P3 closer, turn it so it is pointing away and you are looking at the battery.
    That way, the controls are simple, left is left, back is back etc .. no confusion.
    Slowly bring the P3 back closer, then step toward it, reach up with the right hand on the right leg and left stick down with left thumb.
    You have to hold the P3 level for 3 secs for the motors to shut down.
    If you wobble it a bit it doesn't shut down straight away.

14. YolevonALLin

I don't understand your statement. Why say it's purposeless and then say "but" it's dangerous? If you think hand catching is stupid, I'll double down and say landing anywhere, and not hand catching, is extemerly stupid. If you have arms and are half way coordinated, you extend the life of your gimbal and reduce risk of damage a million times by hand catching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mike Mauk, snowghost and skyhighdiver like this.
  15. taroh

Right hand catch right rear skid, left hand CSC stop with 2 fingers.
    I could catch left skid when P2, but P3 sometimes escapes when I put hand into legs (under VPS)...?

16. ScottyT

But he's right, there's always a risk of injury with hand catching, especially with one hand that would mean the operator can't easily fight unexpected torque. Not everyone is keen to get their hands so close to the high powered props, which is just common sense and good general safety.
    No danger of personal injury with normally landing

GoodnNuff likes this.
  17. emilewski

I always hand catch. But if and when I teach my wife to fly on her own and she flies when I am not around, then I would not want her to hand catch and have her auto-land. I would never forgive myself if she messed up with a hand-catch when I was not around while I feel fully confident doing it myself.

18. Rick K

I agree hand catching is safer.......for the quad! I use this item while catching my bird.
    Available at any safety wear store, highly recommended. Cut resistant Kevlar is
    the answer to many unasked questions!

P_20150723_164520.jpg

#18 Rick K, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  19. 30secs

Sometimes I hand catch as its descending.. It's really not difficult. I think it's much harder to land than catch.

I zoom it towards me and over my head.. Then I walk towards it reach you hold and descend and that's about it. Now if only I could take off like that...

20. amonge

Jajaja! You are flying!!