A post that explains how lightbridge works?

Reaction score
Is there a post on here that explains how light bridge works? I don't expect someone to explain it all over again. Just post a link if you know of one. Thanks.

Reactions: belmontncguy
In short light bridge is same as wifi but it's protocol is different. Main difference is that it doesn't validate correctness of each transmitted package. So there is no handshake for each transmitted packet.

Reactions: Quest-So
I believe any available router will work if we are able to change the protocol. Protocol is a SW piece and can work on standard HW.

Lightbridge is very likely to be a slick implementation of the "wifibroadcast" protocol. as @alokbhargava has described wifibroadcast allows continuous transmission of packets without any need for the receiver to confirm integrity of data, in fact you can have multiple receivers. It is part of the existing wifi protocol and several open source implementations are available. Performance equals of betters lightbridge. You will find a lot of info through google searches.

DD-WRT is your friend

Nice. I've used DD-WRT in the past and my current routers are capable of running it too. What specific setting should I look at in DD-WRT? I never really mucked around with the settings in DD-WRT.... just upped the TX power a little and that was about it. Ohhh.... A few years back I made this neat repeater once out of a WRT54G that would grab ANY open wifi source and repeat it back to me, but under a different SSID. If it lost connection with the source, it would scan and find another. It came in really handy when I was laid off from work and didn't have internet.

Last edited:
Nice. I've used DD-WRT in the past and my current routers are capable of running it too. What specific setting should I look at in DD-WRT? I never relly mucked around with the settings in DD-WRT.... just upped the TX power a little and that was about it. Ohhh.... A few years back I made this neat repeater once out of a WRT54G that would grab ANY open wifi source and repeat it back to me, but under a different SSID. If it lost connection with the source, it would scan and find another. It came in really handy when I was laid off from work and didn't have internet.
Two potential issues will likely preclude you from doing this. The router chipset will need to support injection mode and it will have to be supported by Dd- wrt. None of the Dd- wrt builds I have seen do.

Nice. I've used DD-WRT in the past and my current routers are capable of running it too. What specific setting should I look at in DD-WRT? I never really mucked around with the settings in DD-WRT.... just upped the TX power a little and that was about it. Ohhh.... A few years back I made this neat repeater once out of a WRT54G that would grab ANY open wifi source and repeat it back to me, but under a different SSID. If it lost connection with the source, it would scan and find another. It came in really handy when I was laid off from work and didn't have internet.
So were you piggybacking on some poor schmucks wifi?

So were you piggybacking on some poor schmucks wifi?

The poor schmuck should have used a password. I got laid off from my job in 2012 for a while.... so I had to do what I had to do to stay afloat. I cut every unnecessary expense I had. I'm not kidding. Our version of "going out to eat" was Taco Bell value menu..... once a month. So I stole a little wifi? At least I didn't sell drugs or swindle people or break into houses. There are more serious crimes in this world to worry about, my friend.

The poor schmuck should have used a password. I got laid off from my job in 2012 for a while.... so I had to do what I had to do to stay afloat. I cut every unnecessary expense I had. I'm not kidding. Our version of "going out to eat" was Taco Bell value menu..... once a month. So I stole a little wifi? At least I didn't sell drugs or swindle people or break into houses. There are more serious crimes in this world to worry about, my friend.

Hard times bro, even the WiFi police tailing you now

Reactions: sftceo
Wasn't judging you matey, and your long explanation shows you weren't happy doing it either. I've been there in the past too, and I'm there again now; made redundant last year and after >100 job applications, not and a single callback...

Reactions: Matts175
Wasn't judging you matey, and your long explanation shows you weren't happy doing it either. I've been there in the past too, and I'm there again now; made redundant last year and after >100 job applications, not and a single callback...

Sorry to hear that. Things did get better in 2013 for me though. I got hired at the same place, but a completely different job and then quickly learned it and moved my way up the ladder. All is good now. Things will get better for you too. I know it's hard to see while you are there.... but as long as you keep at it.... it will.

Reactions: Numone
Sorry to hear that. Things did get better in 2013 for me though. I got hired at the same place, but a completely different job and then quickly learned it and moved my way up the ladder. All is good now. Things will get better for you too. I know it's hard to see while you are there.... but as long as you keep at it.... it will.
Yeah, thanks for that Matts; much appreciated...

Reactions: Matts175
Nice thing about Lightbridge, the secure transmission to your device keeps people from hacking in, or sharing your pic/video downlink.

In short light bridge is same as wifi but it's protocol is different. Main difference is that it doesn't validate correctness of each transmitted package. So there is no handshake for each transmitted packet.
udp

Yes it uses UDP/IP and not TCP/IP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik