A positive airport story

Reaction score
Just wanted to post about my good experience with Texarkana Regional Airport this morning. I'll by flying my P3P at Four States Fair Ground over the next few days, which is less than a mile from the airport as the crow flies. I spoke to one of the guys in the tower and he took my number and called me back a few minutes later after some checking. He said as long as I stayed under 200' agl I'd be fine. They were super nice and very helpful.

I know this doesn't make for scintillating reading like problems or drama, but I've always been a big proponent of asking permission before asking forgiveness (possibly from a jail cell). And even though there are generally accepted guidelines on flying closer to airports, every airport, town, and police dept is different. :)

Just wanted to post about my good experience with Texarkana Regional Airport this morning. I'll by flying my P3P at Four States Fair Ground over the next few days, which is less than a mile from the airport as the crow flies. I spoke to one of the guys in the tower and he took my number and called me back a few minutes later after some checking. He said as long as I stayed under 200' agl I'd be fine. They were super nice and very helpful.

I know this doesn't make for scintillating reading like problems or drama, but I've always been a big proponent of asking permission before asking forgiveness (possibly from a jail cell). And even though there are generally accepted guidelines on flying closer to airports, every airport, town, and police dept is different. :)
All that is currently required is that you notify the ATC facility - which you did by calling the tower. What they did was to create a temporary NOTAM (Notice to Airmen). Pilots arriving to the airport would hear the NOTAM with their ATIS (Automated Terminal Information System) information. It would sound to the pilot something like this: "Caution, model aircraft activity below 200 ft AGL within one mile East". I'll bet the tower operator also asked the flight start and end time.

Everyone gets what they want.

Reactions: Ari
He actually said that if I stayed below 200' I didn't even have to deal with them at all, but again, never hurts to call. He didn't really ask many questions. I just hold him I'd fly some over the next few days. Thanks for the technical description, I like to know that info as well.

I've also had nothing but great experiences with airport personnel when wanting to fly near, and actually "on" airports.

Thanks for sharing mslTguy. Welcome to the party. :D

Thought I'd post a little update to this story.

Last night and today I noticed several smaller single engine planes and two helicopters pass overhead flying very low. If assumed that they were landing. They certainly looked close to 200' or lower. Needless to say I didn't fly anymore. I did call the tower to ask about it and got a different guy. He told me (nicely) that I wasn't cleared at all and that it was restricted air space. And that those aircraft on approach could indeed be very low. He didn't know why the previous guy told me what he did. I told him it was no problem, that I'd rather be safe and jail free and thanked him for clarifying.

Any ideas on that one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj