A Phantom in Dubai and Maldives

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting married this april and for our honeymoon we'll be going from Sweden to the Maldives and with a transit in Dubai. On the way back home we'll go first to Dubai and then stay there for 4 nights and then leave back to Sweden.

Now my question is, I really want to bring a drone and shoot some great footage in the Maldives. If I can't do it in Dubai that's fine, just Maldives would be awesome! Can I do this?

I've emailed Dubai customs and they say that "We hereby inform you that you can't carry any of these items in checked in or carrying on due to current security procedures."

But it seems as though a lot of people can carry it in and even buy them from the Airport in Dubai... Like I said, I don't mind not flying it in Dubai... But I really, really want to fly it in the Maldives...

If anyone can help me, I would be so happy. I would definetly even buy a Phantom 3 from Dubai if that's what it takes...

Gotta love this guy - getting married in April (congrats on that occasion) - planning their honeymoon and seems like a big concern is being able to bring along his Phantom - lol, I love it!

I had some time to kill here so I did some looking online - this is a post from a couple of years ago from a guy who took his Phantom 2 to Dubai and it seems to support the email you got back as to possible customs issues.....

I just traveled to Dubai and then the Maldives with a Phantom 2 and FPV setup. I carried it as carry-on luggage on the way and only had issues with customs in Dubai. Got pulled into the custom's office and asked several questions about how high/far it would fly and why I had it. Pretty nervous for a few min but the supervisor finally decided I wasn't a risk and sent me on my way. On the return trip I checked it as checked baggage and had no issues through customs.

Here is the link where I saw that post SKYPIXEL.ORG - Travel tips for photographers looking to carry...

Who knows really - personaly I wouldn't bother as to Dubai after you got that email from customs - might be a bit of a hassle but, since you don't care about flying in Dubai, maybe just ship the Phantom back home to someone before leaving the Maldives - is that an option?

Or like you said purchase a Phantom in Dubai (flying and filming in the UAE has obviously been done - but for me, nah don't think I would risk it).

Whatever you do - be sure to read up on the rules for flying with LiPo batteries - they have to be around a 30% charge, placed in a clear plastic bag (separately and bag labelled as to content) or better still a proper LiPo battery bag and carried onboard with you - NOT in baggage since rapid temperature and pressure fluctuations can make them a real fire hazard.

You can get LiPo bag and stickers for other bag (clear plastic) from your local hobby store or on Amazon.

Best of luck and again - congratulations to you and your bride - safe happy travels!

Reactions: Juventino
Haha well, I recently fell in love with the hobby and already have some nice things to take pictures and videos with but I would really love to get an aerial view of basically paradise on earth...

Thank you for the tips and the link. I don't think I would post it back home from there... And buying one in Dubai is something I could do if it will solve the problem. But then I'll buy it when in transit and on the way back we're staying for a few nights in Dubai and the question is whether or not they will make a fuss about it still...

I could save the receipt and everything but I'm not sure if that would help... I'm probably screwed, because I can't take the chance. The drones don't come too cheap...

Could always ship what you can to the the hotel you'll be staying at Sweden before you leave Maldives. I am an ignorant 'Merican, though, and not sure of how efficient that would be or if it would be a timely solution during your four days in Dubai.

I live in Dubai and fly mine all the time just be sensible around built up areas and stay away from crowds, do most of mine at night. I know a few locals that have them. No probs here, less restrictive the most places.

I had no issue taking a Mavic Pro through MLE airport but wasn't allow to fly at the Conrad Maldives.

I posted extensively about what I encountered while flying in Bali, Thailand, the Maldives over xmas/new year in the Malaysia/Indonesia forum.
Malaysia and Indonesia reguations

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20