A Pachakuti's guide to safe flying

Reaction score
I've decided to make sort of short guide with tips which will be useful for begginer pilots. I see much similar questions across multiple threads regarding pretty same problems piloting.
So I'm starting this newbie guide, any additions will be welcome as Ill add them to first post
I want to share my expierence of 4 years flying DJI stuff including Naza-M controllers, Phantom 2 and Phantom 4
1. After you receive your drone
1.1 Make sure box has all contents in it.
1.2 Find battery and plug it into your wall AC. Keep battery off while charging.
1.2.1 If your controller has built-in battery, plug it to charge aswell.
Notice, that first charging cycle may take more time than you expect, since DJI send their batterys almost discharged.
1.3 While your batterys charging head back to box contents and find manuals and other papers. Read them carefully. Read them twice. Focus on flight modes and cautions.

tip: you can wright down basic controls and modes on sticky paper and stick it to your controller to have always close by.
1.4 Now, if you're planning to use iOS or Android device, download and install DJI GO 4 app (or GO/Vision for older drones). Run it, it will ask to register and log in for the first time. Look around - you will find friendly interface with options and main control buttons (e.g. make photo button).
1.5 If batterys done charging (you can see it if running LED lights stopped and turned off). Plug battery into drone and connect mobile device with remote. Dont be hasty, dont put props on this time! Walk outside and put drone on flat surface.
2. First turning on.
2.1 Always turn on your phantom system in this order:
1) Turn on remote
2) Start DJI GO 4 app (your device should be already connected with remote by usb cable)
3) Start drone ( remember, we dont have props installed yet )
2.2 Wait until DJI GO 4 connects to drone and check its status. Your screen should be free of error messages.
3. Pre-flight self check. You should make it before every take off.
3.1 Make sure you're using latest firmware on both drone and remote. In case if your firmware is outdated - refer to manual for updating.
In case if your app says drone needs calibration - refer to manual to calibrate it.
Make sure SD card is installed.
Make sure GPS signal is solid and at least 6-7 satellites available.
Make sure rc signal indicator is ok.
Try to move gimbal, make sure it has clear feedback.
IMPORTANT: If one of these checks fail - DO NOT START MOTORS.
3.2 If everything is okay - start motors as said in manual. Now try to stop them like if you're landing. Worked? Lets move to your first flight.
4. First flight.
4.1 Phantom 4 Pro has awesome beginer mode and I highly recommend you to use for first flights.
4.2 Install props (refer to manual for details).
4.3 Make sure that your remote is in correct mode and DJI GO 4 app has activated obstacle avoidance and all sensors ON along with beginner mode.
4.4 Again, run through pre-check (satellites, signal, sd and so as said in pre-flight check section).
4.5 If everything is okay - start rotors and start video recording. Now give it about 10 seconds, make sure there's nothing wrong with prop sound.
4.6 Start to take off slowly, don't pull stick to its maximum. On the first flight you should drive slowly. Don't rush. Do some simple moves and land slowly. Keep distance, land and take off at at least 3 meters from you.
4.7 After you landed and rotors stopped come to your drone and power off it first, than remote.
5. After landing
5.1 Bring SD card and watch video carefully. You will notice where you flew too fast or pulled sticks too much. Next time try move sticks smoother.
5.2 Download flight logs and run through them. Pay attention to errors and warnings. Think why they could happen. Never ignore them!

Now some tips:
- Check weather conditions. Dont risk with heavy wind or rain. During winter cold make sure you give your drone 10-15 minutes outside to chill after indoors. This will unfog your camera lenses as video may look blurry first minutes. Also your battery capacity will drop on cold, so freshly charged battery may show less than 100%-99% outdoors.
- For your first flights always keep drone in line of sight. Video feed is charming, but always look for your drone position time by time.
- Once landed always power off drone before next take off. Taking off without powering off may cause your drone go mad, not sure why, probably compass glitch
- Knowing terrain and location is a key to successfull and safe flying. Dont hestitate to spend couple of minutes planning your route, watch for trees/hills/building heights. Try to start from highest position possible.
- Take off from flat metal-free surface. Ground, asphalt, grass and even mud is okay. Never take off from car's roof, cemented metal plates (used in construction). Take off aside metal pipelines and constructions. Heavy metal interference may cause trouble with compass. If compass loses calibration - NEVER TAKE OFF.
- Set your return to home height to maximum. I use 150 meters to make sure nothing will stop my drone on its way home. I know there's an obstacle avoidance system, but we dont accept any risks, right?
- Always keep in mind "point of no return" - distance which you wont have enough charge to get back.
- Once your battery reaches 30% you better start landing. Yes, its not critical level, but less capacity left in batt - faster it will discharge. You may not have enough time to get back. Keep it in mind. For more information you may google and read about Li-Po batts.
- Imagine a crash occured. First thing to check - battery damage. Li-Po batts are extremely dangerous and fragile. Moreover, they may remain calm while discharged to 50%, but once you start charging damaged battery - it may ignite and blow up. Its not worth it - if you suspect your battery to be damaged - dispose it according to local rules and regulations. Sounds paranoid? Check youtube with "lipo damage" or something similar

- Always keep your head cold. Signal loss, video loss, batt failure, in flight vibrations. When s#!t happens - the only chance to save your drone - avoid panic.

-------------
Fly with responsibility. Although it looks like a toy, drone may cause serious damage to human or animal.
Id gladly add more info from comments.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj