A not thrilled neighbor

Reaction score
How many of you have had a neighbor come and say they are not thrilled with you flying over their airspace? Is there any recourse for them should they decide to get nasty about me flying my p4 in the neighborhood. I was flying a few hundred feet up so it was not like I was parked in front of their bathroom.

Last edited:
How many hope you have had a neighbor come and say they are not thrilled with you flying over their airspace? Is there any recourse for them should they decide to get nasty about me flying my p4 in the neighborhood. I was flying a few hundred feet up so it was not like I was parked in front of their bathroom.
you might be up high enough but it depends where you are taking off and landing from. Maybe you are taking off close to their home or others. Maintain flying the rules and keep away from their house. I have been the brunt of people too and hate it. I would find somewhere else to fly.

I let all mine know I had the drone and that if they thought it was too close to their place let me know. I live out so being over another's house would be an intentional act. I've been near but not enough to see them wave. They ask me later 'Did you see me wave?' or with a grin 'did you see me flip you off?'
It might help to let that neighbor see your screen as you fly around a little. They will quickly realize that unless you're right on top of them, the cars on the road can see a lot more than you can.

Reactions: movius
Someone who I know almost got their Inspire shot down by a neighbor :eek:. And the Inspire wasn't even near the neighbor's property...
if that was me I would follow them and when they were shopping etc, I would let all their tyres down.

How many of you have had a neighbor come and say they are not thrilled with you flying over their airspace? Is there any recourse for them should they decide to get nasty about me flying my p4 in the neighborhood. I was flying a few hundred feet up so it was not like I was parked in front of their bathroom.
Have you let them view what you see on your monitor? So many think that a drone has supernatural vision and thats what freaks so many out. You can thank news helicopters with big cameras for that point of view

if that was me I would follow them and when they were shopping etc, I would let all their tyres down.
Shooting or attacking an aircraft is a serious felony, can cause damage to property and or persons, and can lead to many many years in jail, in Canada, Drones are considered aircraft, And the maximum penalty is 14 years in jail. Tell that to anyone who threaten to shoot you down...

I agree with @Prairie Pyro and @Dirtdroner, a charm offensive could work wonders. If you tell him that you understand his concerns and invite him to review in flight operation, this might put his mind at rest. I also agree that avoiding conflict is a positive way forward. Hopefully sanity will prevail.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I live in almost the middle of nowhere - only about 4 or 5 houses in drone range. I asked all the owners for permission to overfly and showed them the results. Now most of them are considering buying DJIs!
Obviously in more densely populated areas this isn't possible. I used to live in the suburbs and my neighbours were HELL which is why I moved here!

Well... today I was flying my drone around the water (with no one around). I took some good pictures (and a panorama) and was about to leave when a neighbor who was going for a walk came up. While talking to my father, he said something along the lines of "Why don't you fly over our houses with it and see what we're doing". My father responded with "That's one rule we have - no stalking anyone". I hate how people automatically assume that you are stalking when you have a drone. I'm in this for photography - I have absolutely no intentions of stalking anyone.

Someone who I know almost got their Inspire shot down by a neighbor :eek:. And the Inspire wasn't even near the neighbor's property...

Well, in the USA its a federal offense to shoot down drones. My suggestion: as long as you know the law where you are flying, do not back down when met by ignorance! We have just as much right to fly our drones as the neighbour's kid does flying his kite.

I try the respectful approach first, show them what I see on the monitor from 200' up. Once they see that you really can't see much and that the p3 is pretty useless to spy on them, they actually become interested in learning how it works.

If met by ignorant fools who are too self indulged, I turn even more ignorant and send them on their merry way. But in either case, when I know I'm in the right to fly I do not back down.

I had a neighbor threaten to shoot my bird down. I informed him of the laws he would be violating and he shut the fux up

As I posted on a thread, I had my first complaint yesterday on a local (mostly deserted) beach from a non local holiday home owner. Not being 100% sure of my rights (I will next time) I apologised and packed drone away and carried on the dog walk with my family that I had planned on filming in track mode. In my head though I wanted to throw him in the sea.

Drone law UK as it stands
When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.

Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.

Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don't fly higher than 400 feet. Always keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields Use your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don't.

Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Geeno
As I posted on a thread, I had my first complaint yesterday on a local (mostly deserted) beach from a non local holiday home owner. Not being 100% sure of my rights (I will next time) I apologised and packed drone away and carried on the dog walk with my family that I had planned on filming in track mode. In my head though I wanted to throw him in the sea.

Drone law UK as it stands
When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.

Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.

Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don't fly higher than 400 feet. Always keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields Use your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don't.

Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structures over congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

See my other post!

Basically you can fly at 1000' and you can fly closer than 50m - as long as you are using the camera for navigation and are not recording!
The Law - FPV UK

I guess I'm lucky. I live in a rather close subdivision and have been flying for about two years now and no one has ever complained. No one has really ever commented either. I'm good friends with the police chief but as far as I know no one has ever complained.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj