a new fc40 pilot

Reaction score
im in the market for an fc40,which I shall be getting in a couple of weeks,any advice from any one would be gratefull,i.e flying time upgrades

are the mad dog batteries sold in London uk, and with those 2 upgrades what would flight time approx. be

I'm actually gonna try it out maybe some time next month and try to give a video review. I needed some extra batteries anyways and better props would be a nice bonus.

I had trouble with my 2700 battery. The thing is so big, it barely fits in the opening, there wasn't room for the cables to fit through, if the battery was in place. I had to put the end of the battery with the wires in first and really jam it in to get the battery door to close.

I solved the problem by running the battery wires out through the body and connecting them outside of the hull. And then I eliminated the door altogether, using a strip of Velcro to hold the battery in place.

If your looking for batteries I use Overlander 2900mah 30c and are a perfect fit in the fc40. Search eBay UK for them. Flight time I got with standard camera before fitting a vision one was 17 mins. Hope this helps :)

Hello, and welcome!

I see you're getting some great advice from the guys here, this is a really great group. Some of us were not pleased with the quality of the camera, and have upgraded to "GoPros & Gimbals" (someone wrote a song about it). You'll be happy to know that your FC40 is fully upgradeable, and you can still use your camera for FPV.

Just pick an upgrade and holler out, someone here has surly done it. And keep us posted on your first flight, we all remember ours. :)

If you aren't happy with the quality of the FC40 camera (I wasn't) you can sell it on eBay for more than the extra $20 it cost you over the cost of a Phantom 1.1.1. They sell new for $69 and up on eBay.

Of course without a gimbal, video will still look shaky no matter what camera you use. But for still photos the FC40 with a hard mounted GoPro is a good set-up. I use the GoPro quick release buckle with an extended J mount to lower the camera out and away from the props and legs.

Attachments

• 100_0006.JPG
    100_0006.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 737
Woody said:
If you aren't happy with the quality of the FC40 camera (I wasn't) you can sell it on eBay for more than the extra $20 it cost you over the cost of a Phantom 1.1.1. They sell new for $69 and up on eBay.

Of course without a gimbal, video will still look shaky no matter what camera you use. But for still photos the FC40 with a hard mounted GoPro is a good set-up. I use the GoPro quick release buckle with an extended J mount to lower the camera out and away from the props and legs.

I don't see any cables leaving the gopro. Are there? Do you have a view from the camera to line up your shots? Of course you do. How does it work, if you don't mind me asking. I am dumb as a rock but I can learn.

I just finished a few external mods to mine to increase flight time

Here what it looks like now:
2014-07-08%2013.35.48.jpg

Where I got parts:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1059927/ ... terialId=6
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1404779/ ... terialId=6

I really like the Zippy compact batteries from Hobby king, The batteries I have in the picture are 3700mah each....I am getting around 20-25 min of flight time with 8in props I will be getting dual 2700mah ones to lighten it up a bit since I plan to have a gopro and gimbal here soon

Also a newbie is the FC40 camera supposed to record sound or is the holes that look like a mic actually just a vent?

Wedeliver said:
I don't see any cables leaving the gopro. Are there? Do you have a view from the camera to line up your shots? Of course you do. How does it work, if you don't mind me asking. I am dumb as a rock but I can learn.

No FPV on mine, I use time lapse and just fly around the subject at different angles and heights. If I take 500 pictures per flight there is always a keeper or two in the batch. I'm not as serious about video and photography as many here, most times I fly without a camera just for fun.

JohnT2 said:
Also a newbie is the FC40 camera supposed to record sound or is the holes that look like a mic actually just a vent?
There is no audio recording on the FC40 camera. Don't know what the hole is for.

Glad to hear it GOKU! Hope you have as much fun as I do. Are you using the assistant software yet? Home Lock is a very useful tool that comes is handy if you lose orientation at long distance.

all the software is up and running, and like you say quite useful. managed to forget to press the record button on my phone . when I did remember only had about 3 minutes of flight time left, other than that a great time was had.must say though do need a 2nd battery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers