A MUST learn before your fly VRS

But DJI slowed descent down to only 2 metres/sec quite a while back.
I've never noticed any problems coming straight down for hundreds of feet at this slow speed.
Has the slow descent eliminated VRS problems or has anyone still encountered them?

It still exists but I've got prop guards on which doesn't help.

As indicated by the OP descending whilst moving all but eliminates that problem.

Correct, but I don't have an issue with it as I don't come straight down :)

What the video doesn't state is that if you have some wind, it's ok to come straight down. It's the same as moving sideways as you decend. If you move sideways to decend in the same direction and at the same speed as the wind, you are not helping anything. Always be aware of wind direction. For the ones that fly downrange with the wind and you go to failsafe..your quad may not be able to get back or it may be very slow and you hope your batteries hold out till it lands or you can take control again.

I took my quad out for some initial flights this weekend. I took it easy on descent keeping the speed around 1.5-2.5 miles per hour (0.7-1.1m/s) to make sure I avoided VRS... has anyone had a problem with VRS (using a Vision+) if descending at the max rate (2m/s)?

Meta4 said:
I've never noticed any problems coming straight down for hundreds of feet at this slow speed.
Has the slow descent eliminated VRS problems or has anyone still encountered them?

i did the update . and NO it has not cured the problem ...

trickstar911 said:
Meta4 said:

i did the update . and NO it has not cured the problem ...

Some details please

j0seph said:
I took my quad out for some initial flights this weekend. I took it easy on descent keeping the speed around 1.5-2.5 miles per hour (0.7-1.1m/s) to make sure I avoided VRS... has anyone had a problem with VRS (using a Vision+) if descending at the max rate (2m/s)?

yep sure did .... wind . no wind ... is too hard to calculate ... better to never descend straight down unless ya moving ....

this is similar situation to mine only i was lower and over sea water .. by by drone .... useless to power up . makes it worse. what i should have done is right stick forward or back .... i had no ttime to experiment , my first reaction was more power ..WRONG if ya see on the other video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_5a4xwdP4

or this guy settled the issue down by let go of the throttle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42YxqcTuask

If and when you guys get into a VRS situation just pin the controller going forward and you may be able to get out of it. It happened to me once and fell probably 30' before snapping out and taking off forward. It's kind of a hard thing to do as your brain says go up but forward/back or left/right is the only thing that will save you. Or at least did for me

brorex said:
If and when you guys get into a VRS situation just pin the controller going forward and you may be able to get out of it. It happened to me once and fell probably 30' before snapping out and taking off forward. It's kind of a hard thing to do as your brain says go up but forward/back or left/right is the only thing that will save you. Or at least did for me
well noted ...thanks for that

trickstar911 said:
brorex said:
well noted ...thanks for that

Sorry trickstar911 pretty much the same thing you had said.

Forward, backward, left or right (whatever is best in your situarion) PLUS trottle in neutral position!

If you decide to descend quickly, be aware of the wind, as another pilot posted. Try to fly against the wind during your decent so the prop wash is blown behind the aircraft and not stuck under the bird.

Except that you can't descend quickly unless you have old firmware.
DJI sorted that out some time ago.
At full down the Phantom is limited to 2m/sec.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20