A lot to learn in S.C.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

The P4P+ is a great bird. Check out the review below. It talks about a few potential cons of using the remote controller with the built-in screen.

Hello from Myrtle Beach....WTB P4P+....Just retired and want to start my next journey. Any thoughts?
Including this link, so you can familiarize yourself with the FAA Airspace Rules in your area. I see so many people here that buy a drone and then get very angry with the rules about where they can & cannot fly close to their home. A few miles of the Myrtle Beach area is Class C Controlled Airspace to the Surface. Just a few miles North is Class D - controlled to the surface with a Class E - Controlled to the Surface Extension. This is not the time to go into the ins & outs of what that actually means for flying in the area, but you did say that you, "have a lot to learn", so I thought you would want to know.

VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BigAl07
I'll thank you as soon as I catch my breath. Wow!
There is a lot to FAA Airspace Rules and then there are the FAA Rules for flying for recreation, too. It can seem like a lot to digest in the beginning, so feel free to ask questions. Quite a few of us do not want to see anyone get in trouble, or give the hobby a bad name because you were not aware of a Federal rule. Check your Local law too, Beach area, Parks, etc for possible Ordinances.

Any suggestions on a place/class for newbees?
The airspace I mentioned is open to your recreational flying but you must notify the airports that are with-in 5 miles of your flight path prior to taking off.
Following is the start of the rules/guidelines, (copied for the FAA website), that you want to know before you fly. Follow the links to learn more. I have to run out the door to a bee keeper meeting, but I will be back in a couple of hours. Others will chime in soon to help out also.

"You don't need permission from the FAA to fly your UAS (aka drone) for fun or recreation, but you must always fly safely.

Before you fly outside you must:
Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower.

• Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
    • Fly at or below 400 feet
    • Keep your UAS within sight
    • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
    • Never fly over groups of people
    • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
    • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
    • Never fly under the influence
    • Be aware of airspace requirements
    • Special use airspace is used to designate airspace in which certain activities must be confined, or where limitations may be imposed on aircraft operations that are not part of those activities. Types of Special Use Airspace include:
      • Prohibited areas
      • Restricted areas
      • Warning areas
      • Military operation areas (MOAs)
      • Alert areas
      • Controlled firing areas (CFAs)
      For more detailed information about airspace classifications and categories, review the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

Stadiums and sporting events
      Flying UAS in and around stadiums is prohibited starting one hour before and ending one hour after the scheduled time of any of the following events:
      • Major League Baseball
      • Major League Football
      • NCAA Division One Football
      • Nascar Sprint Cup, Indy Car, and Champ Series races
      Specifically, UAS operations are prohibited within a radius of three nautical miles of the stadium or venue.

Further information is available in this handout on sports TFRs (PDF).

Wildfires
      It is illegal to fly your UAS in or around a wildfire firefighting operation.

Airports
      Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination.
    FAA Drone website = Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj