A little scary / compass malfunction

Reaction score
I've flown about 5 times now with my PS3. I've calibrated the compass a few times, but since I'm flying in areas that are very close to each other I haven't done it each and every flight.

Last night I took the PS3 up to 200 feet, went about 500 feet, and then did an RTH. Everything worked as it should and I hand caught it. Since I still had plenty of battery left I thought I would do another flight. I put it on the ground and did an automatic takeoff. I typically let it hover for about 20 - 30 seconds to ensure everything looks good and I have enough sats locked in. When I was just about to ascend my display reflected a compass error. The bird started to fade right, up, and down and go toward a nearby pond. My thought was to not panic and see if I could bring it safely back. I basically had to fight against the compass error some, but was able to safely move it left and since it was already at an acceptable height I simply had caught it and killed the motors.

It wasn't until I had it that I realized the display was saying something about switching to ATT Mode. I haven't tried that mode yet, but I guess it might have given me better manual control without the compass to bring it in?

Regardless, have others seen this kind of behavior before? I can't even imagine what I would have done had the drone been at 200 feet and this happened. I'll obviously recalibrate the compass before I fly again, but I'm also wondering whether others have seen something similar or could this possibly be an indication that something is wrong with my drone? Again, I just did a compass calibration a day ago at a location that was maybe only a 1/3 mile from what I flew last night.

It didn't start to fade untill you lost gps lock and it went into atti mode. I'm guessing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik