A Hike in San Diego

Reaction score
So I did a little hiking last weekend with some friends and brought the P2 along to get some shots. We stopped by University of California San Diego to check out the "Fallen Star" which is a house that was built off the side of the roof of the engineering building, then we went to Torrey Pines State Reserve and Sunset Cliffs. It is a bit long at 5 minutes, but there were too many good shots that I could not pass up. Only a little jello (forgot to put on the ND), but over all I'm pretty happy with it. Let me know what you think.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPwSl__XE3s[/youtube]

Some really beautiful shots and nice music with the surf sfx and all. My only suggestion would be to lay off the yaw, although the yaw in the next to the last shot would have been perfect had you cut out the wobble at the end (twitchy yaw is one of my pet peeves!) About 2 minutes shorter and eliminating the jump-cuts would be good, too. :)

If I'm not mistaken, sunset cliffs is within a 5 mile radius of the airport. Is this not a no fly zone?

I believe there are graduated height restrictions the closer you fly to an airport within the 5 mile radius, so this may be perfectly fine, no?

Yes, I was with in a height restriction zone because I had the ending red flashes. I was able to go about 150ft up which was high enough. The sunset cliffs area I was not too concerned about since I did not see much air traffic, but the Torrey Pines area was swarming with airplane banner tows, low flying helicopters and the Goodyear Blimp since there was a tournament at Torrey Pines golf course. I walk far down the beach away from the golf coarse to avoid most of that. Even though after i was done flying a helicopter came down the coast above the water about 150ft AGL.

beeline, thanks for the critique, I do agree with you on all your comments. I am still learning to fly strategically for video with no yaw correction.

So you did not notify the airport as required by the FAA?

Are your proud of your illegal flight? Is it that hard to follow the law? You still could have gotten your video no problem only that helicopter and blimp would have known to avoid you!

jahjahwarrior said:
So you did not notify the airport as required by the FAA?

Are your proud of your illegal flight? Is it that hard to follow the law? You still could have gotten your video no problem only that helicopter and blimp would have known to avoid you!
Calm down, I did not fly much more than 75ft above the cliffs. Also i looked and i knew i was 3.4 miles out from the airport runway. Also the take off pattern was way north of were i was. Nothing at all illegal about my flight.

The FAA rules apply from 0 feet, and don't give any leeway for flights below or at 75 feet, and they apply within 5 miles of an airport. The best I can tell, they really apply to any point within 5 miles of a boundary of a runway. 3.4 is within the range from 0 to 5 miles.

And all you had to do was notify the airport. A 5 minute phone call. Then all of those people would have been aware of your activity and would have been sure to avoid you, reducing the already slim chance of any encounter.

jahjahwarrior said:
The FAA rules apply from 0 feet, and don't give any leeway for flights below or at 75 feet, and they apply within 5 miles of an airport. The best I can tell, they really apply to any point within 5 miles of a boundary of a runway. 3.4 is within the range from 0 to 5 miles.

And all you had to do was notify the airport. A 5 minute phone call. Then all of those people would have been aware of your activity and would have been sure to avoid you, reducing the already slim chance of any encounter.
Noted, thanks. For future reference is there a site where i can get phone numbers for local control towers? On another note, I also saw an Inspire 1 flying there as well, first time in the wild.

It was cool video, thanks for sharing! As far as the proximity to SAN...there is a AMA sanctioned flying field much closer than you were at any point during that video. a pilot flying that corridor would have a better chance of hitting a kite...don't sweat it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31