A Global notice to all.

I dont trust software that much (I work in the software industry), that said if a patch comes out that pertains to my device, Im gonna update it.
Im not of the if it aint broke dont fix it type, I would hate to find out "its broke" when Im 200' above ground.. but to each, their own.

Thanks for the reply. I agree. Let me clear this cause to many peeps getting edgy. Every device I own except my phantom gets updated with new software. I avoid updating the phantom because the updates have proven unstable, hence the very reason why this forum exists.

Dji updates should always be 100%. They are not. You know that along with many others reading this post. My concern is that we all own a device that has the potential to damage if not kill someone if it goes wrong.

I am not bagging out pilots, I am just saying putting in poorly engineered updates into a flying craft is a liability to the operator. So answer me this, what are you going to do when dji release an update that causes your drone to crash? You will hop onto this forum, read all the posts in the "Update caused my drone to crash" thread and sit back thinking, " ****......atariman was right, I should have just left it alone, it was flying 100% before I upgraded"

When dji starts producing rock solid, reliable updates I will be more confident with the products and brand.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just bought my Phantom. It says I need an upgrade to even start flying it. Says IMU needs calibrating...but when i click on the "helicopter" image under settings and it says IMU is normal. Should I upgrade firmware or just fly it for first time?

I just bought my Phantom. It says I need an upgrade to even start flying it. Says IMU needs calibrating...but when i click on the "helicopter" image under settings and it says IMU is normal. Should I upgrade firmware or just fly it for first time?

That's your call my friend. If this post is legit and you really do own a new drone. I would regardless of updates, perform calibrations out of the box, pretty sure instructions mention that. You own a drone, you now have to accept responsibility for its actions.

Its legit. I have owned a phantom 3 standard but did the 1.6 upgrade...two days later i lost a LOT of range ability. I went from being able to fly almost 2300 ft out to only 600 ft out. I thought it was my drone simply malfuntioned. So yesterday I replaced it but bought a Phantom 3 4k. I have not flown it yet and have not upgraded the firmware. When i first turn it on instead of it saying safe at top of screen it says IMU needs calibrating. But as I said under setting it says IMU normal. After reading all these posts I am wondering if the firmware update on my last drone is what caused the distance issue. I had owned it for almost two months with no problems before the upgrade.

I always perform the compass calibrations as required...just wondering about firmware updates.

when did 2.8.4 come out?
Today i got new windsurfers. put them on got about 200 feet up and started getting choppy video. weird black lines and stuttering. thought ok screw the windsurfers. took them off and still choppy video. WTF?
just wondering if it did an automatic upgrade to 2.8.4 as being the culprit?
things were fine 2 days ago.
ipad mini was down to 28%...maybe that's the problem? seems weird for that to be the issue but who knows...
sure as hell hope its not the new firmware!

forgot to add...new lightning cable too...got one of the short ones from amazon...now that i think about it...that would make the most sense as the problem?

Last edited:
Dji updates should always be 100%.
No update is 100%.. Not even the almighty Apple.

you going to do when dji release an update that causes your drone to crash? You will hop onto this forum, read all the posts in the "Update caused my drone to crash" thread and sit back thinking, " ****......atariman was right, I should have just left it alone, it was flying 100% before I upgraded"
That logic works inversely as well. Let's say, You don't update to the software that prevents engine shutdown in cold temps when batteries are under load..

The argument that "if it ain't broke.... " is not one that I hold because I have no idea if it's "broke" I think my understanding of when my AC is flying perfect is short of what DJI knows. It's like feeling fine not knowing you have serious Herat condition. I'll get regular check ups and take the medicine prescribed by my physician. Could he be wrong yes......

Thanks for the reply. I agree. Let me clear this cause to many peeps getting edgy. Every device I own except my phantom gets updated with new software. I avoid updating the phantom because the updates have proven unstable, hence the very reason why this forum exists.

Dji updates should always be 100%. They are not. You know that along with many others reading this post. My concern is that we all own a device that has the potential to damage if not kill someone if it goes wrong.

I am not bagging out pilots, I am just saying putting in poorly engineered updates into a flying craft is a liability to the operator. So answer me this, what are you going to do when dji release an update that causes your drone to crash? You will hop onto this forum, read all the posts in the "Update caused my drone to crash" thread and sit back thinking, " ****......atariman was right, I should have just left it alone, it was flying 100% before I upgraded"

When dji starts producing rock solid, reliable updates I will be more confident with the products and brand.

So I still haven't updated yet.... Can you provide any links on the posts from people that are not happy with the latest updates? Or explain the reason why you are not satisfied.

I'm on this forum, rc groups, helifreak, FB, ...... All the time. I'm not really seeing a lot of negative. I am however seeing negative feedback from people who don't own a phantom, or, people who haven't updated.

Reactions: Norweigan
Just think one morning you'll sit down at your PC to discover Microsoft "upgraded" you to Windows 10 (without your consent).

Curious how you'd feel if you discover your just-released "update" is broke 200' above the ground?

I dont trust software that much (I work in the software industry), that said if a patch comes out that pertains to my device, Im gonna update it.
Im not of the if it aint broke dont fix it type, I would hate to find out "its broke" when Im 200' above ground.. but to each, their own.

But if one hadn't updated from 1.4 to 1.5, they would never have experienced the "update" that brought on the unexpected shutdown issue. How many Phantom 3's were lost due to the 1.5 update? :eek:

No update is 100%.. Not even the almighty Apple.

That logic works inversely as well. Let's say, You don't update to the software that prevents engine shutdown in cold temps when batteries are under load..

The argument that "if it ain't broke.... " is not one that I hold because I have no idea if it's "broke" I think my understanding of when my AC is flying perfect is short of what DJI knows. It's like feeling fine not knowing you have serious Herat condition. I'll get regular check ups and take the medicine prescribed by my physician. Could he be wrong yes......

But if one hadn't updated from 1.4 to 1.5, they would never have experienced the "update" that brought on the unexpected shutdown issue. How many Phantom 3's were lost due to the 1.5 update? :eek:

That's true but how many would have had batteries shutdown mid flight anyway from cold flight max thrust. 1.4 or not if you are flying in cold weather and push the throttle full you still run the risk of shutdown even on magical 1.4.

Not everyone who flies understands monitoring the battery voltage and other precautions that will allow for safe flight.

Updates are probably put through a test plan in house, but once released to the wild, things can and do go wrong. This is nothing new. I usually wait a week or two until the dust settles before upgrading anything, and that's not just my Phantoms. I think the OPs post is overly dramatic. Let's just all stay at the versions we are at forever. Really? The firmware folks may have discovered issues, and fixed them without you ever knowing. These fixes could apply to any aspect of the firmware for image processing, flight control, data transmission, app functionality, who knows. There is usually a running list of defects and wanted upgrades to any firmware, the ones that bubble to the top are typically the most serious defects, or features that marketing wants to improve sales. To the OP: maybe think about all this before you post that the sky is falling, and we should all follow your global directives.

Reactions: hjklaassen
I have updated my Phantom 3 Advanced every time DJI pushed out the Firmware update. I have not had any issues to date. I am usually on the side of trusting the manufacturer when they introduce the updates. They certainly would never intentionally make changes that would cause their customers to lose or damage their aircraft. Can you imagine what that would do to their reputation with their customers?

I will always update.

It's always interesting to me how many variants there are to this story. Some that always update and no problems and some that do have them right after.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Valid points guys. My belief is that yes you should update if u have a bug or problem. If you don't have any issues and the bird is flying 100% to your liking, why pollute the successful build by potentially rocking the balance? I must admit, I have become fearful of the dji updates. They are not stable, and if one is stable it unfortunately was developed after many global consumers vented their anger at dji.

Like I said, bugs or no bugs.....if it's working to your liking 100%, you would be very silly to reduce that 100% to update a device that is working properly anyway. My post is to hopefully make users aware that updating a system that is working well can actually disrupt the existing reliability.

One of the best reasons I have for flying exclusively with Litchi, is that you don't get nagged about firmware being out of date. I only use the DJI app to calibrate the IMU or gimbal once is a blue moon. Now that Litchi has voice direction when calibrating the compass, there is no reason to use the DJI app. My Phantom flies flawlessly, so I probably will never do another update unless the improvements warrant doing so. Even then, I like to read all about the user experiences, primarily from this forum, before updating.

Reactions: grizgrin
I see too many people updating apps and firmware and regretting it.

Listen up........

If you have the current DJI GO App version 2.8.3, DO NOT UPGRADE

If your phantom 4 has the current firmware, DO NOT UPGRADE.

If you have an older app or firmware version and all is working well, DO NOT UPGRADE.

Basically people, don't rock the boat, don't try to fix anything if it's not broken.

Too many cases of curiosity killed the cat on this forum and feelings of being left out from the herd.

Just don't update if all is working, there is no need to.

Your choice, just my 2cents worth of reality.

I have said the same thing before and gotten "beat up" on here for saying that. Nobody is making people update, and after updating, somebody always blames their crash on the update. Most of the time, people are not being culpable for their own mistakes and then ask if DJI will replace their crashed lawn dart.

Just think one morning you'll sit down at your PC to discover Microsoft "upgraded" you to Windows 10

Yeah, but every morning when I wake up.... same girlfriend. ;)

To the OP's point... I've followed sound advice not to upgrade anything until you need the benefits of an upgrade.

I bricked my Taranis radio by attempting to upgrade the firmware, and it took me many hours of work to undo it.

Building is fun, shopping for parts is fun, and God knows flying is fun.... but trying to fix a bad upgrade is not.

Reactions: grizgrin
I see too many people updating apps and firmware and regretting it.

Listen up........

If you have the current DJI GO App version 2.8.3, DO NOT UPGRADE

If your phantom 4 has the current firmware, DO NOT UPGRADE.

If you have an older app or firmware version and all is working well, DO NOT UPGRADE.

Basically people, don't rock the boat, don't try to fix anything if it's not broken.

Too many cases of curiosity killed the cat on this forum and feelings of being left out from the herd.

Just don't update if all is working, there is no need to.

Your choice, just my 2cents worth of reality.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj