A Global notice to all.

Reaction score
I see too many people updating apps and firmware and regretting it.

Listen up........

If you have the current DJI GO App version 2.8.3, DO NOT UPGRADE

If your phantom 4 has the current firmware, DO NOT UPGRADE.

If you have an older app or firmware version and all is working well, DO NOT UPGRADE.

Basically people, don't rock the boat, don't try to fix anything if it's not broken.

Too many cases of curiosity killed the cat on this forum and feelings of being left out from the herd.

Just don't update if all is working, there is no need to.

Your choice, just my 2cents worth of reality.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well generally speaking attariman this is true. Do not change/update/upgrade if it working is a statement that works well in software industry BUT this it is not so simple in every application.

Let’s say that you have an aircraft, transmitter & battery firmware that works fine. In addition, you have a mob/tab app DJI Go that also works fine for many flights. You assume that if you do not change the firmware/software you will not have any trouble. This is not true……………………………………………There are a lot of flight conditions that you have never flown YET !!!!!!! There are several automations i.e smart RTH that you have never tried before.

So and there is the day that you encounter a specific flight condition for the first time. Your working firmware may have a BUG !!!!

So keep in mind that every new firmware fixes BUGs that DJI did not know their existence. They found it after a customer’s incident.

Finally, you never know what will be the DJI warranty politics if you will have an incident and you have never updated the latest firmware. I guess that DJI will have the right to claim that you have ignored a BUG fix !!!!

keep in mind that every new firmware fixes BUGs that DJI did not know their existence.
Exactly. This is why it's a great idea to install new firmware after it's known to be a stable build.

I think there's a lot of ignorance involved....

I still can't find out exactly what GEO is doing. 1/2 the people say it actually opened up flying areas or gave you an option to fly more areas. Then you read other forums and people are saying everyone is upset because DJI just added a bunch more restricted flight areas. What's really going on?

Do you guys update your iPhones? I mean they work great now, but what about iOS 10! It's coming this fall.... My iPhone 6s is flawless, how could anyone make it better?

Yes...if it ain't broke, why fix it??
If there was any truth to this, DJI would never need to release new software updates. They are constantly working to fix issues (and sometimes adding new features).

That's true, but just like app developers sometimes updates aren't quite "ready for primtime" at initial release. I've learned to not immediately update if I'm not having issues. I normally let others jump at the update then read about any issues they may have found before I choose to do the same. I'm not saying DJI is reckless when an update is issued, but most of us are using various platforms to fly our aircraft so an update could potentially cause some of us issues when we didn't have any prior to an update. Testing every platform combination with each update is highly unlikely so why would I take the chance to cause myself issues? I'd rather not be a beta tester however if others would like to be that is their choice.

Valid points guys. My belief is that yes you should update if u have a bug or problem. If you don't have any issues and the bird is flying 100% to your liking, why pollute the successful build by potentially rocking the balance? I must admit, I have become fearful of the dji updates. They are not stable, and if one is stable it unfortunately was developed after many global consumers vented their anger at dji.

Like I said, bugs or no bugs.....if it's working to your liking 100%, you would be very silly to reduce that 100% to update a device that is working properly anyway. My post is to hopefully make users aware that updating a system that is working well can actually disrupt the existing reliability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenidguy
If there was any truth to this, DJI would never need to release new software updates. They are constantly working to fix issues (and sometimes adding new features).

Go back through the forum history and read the many frustrated posters who had more issues or new issues after updating. No disrespect to the manufacturer, but their support and updates are sloppy, if not borderline dodgy. I own a p4, it will be the last item I will ever purchase from dji.

I think there's a lot of ignorance involved....

I still can't find out exactly what GEO is doing. 1/2 the people say it actually opened up flying areas or gave you an option to fly more areas. Then you read other forums and people are saying everyone is upset because DJI just added a bunch more restricted flight areas. What's really going on?

Do you guys update your iPhones? I mean they work great now, but what about iOS 10! It's coming this fall.... My iPhone 6s is flawless, how could anyone make it better?

Difference between Apple updates and DJI updates is that Apple updates enhance and are tested thoroughly and are reliable. Dji updates can destroy or diminish reliability and performance. Eg, poor range, pixelated screen, yo yo, poor horizontal......feel free to add more of the well documented issues arising from poorly written updates from Dji. Name me a person who installed an IOS update to their iPad or iPhone and it killed the phone or diminished its performance ?

I have always updated my P3P, RC, and Go app with everything new, and never had a problem. I also have a DJI Osmo for its "steadycam" video features.

I agree with Greenidguy that, on any computer/software platform, "sometimes updates aren't quite 'ready for primetime' at initial release".

But overall, during the past year, it's been clear that DJI has provided more features and better performance with its updates.

What strikes me as odd, I guess, is why some people who have almost no previous knowledge of aeronautics, computers, file structure, or digital photography, would buy these products as their first venture into "flying cameras" -- and then scream about how hard it is to master all of the technical details.

Anyway, happy flying. I love my DJI products!

Reactions: Phantom George
I have always updated my P3P, RC, and Go app with everything new, and never had a problem. I also have a DJI Osmo for its "steadycam" video features.

I agree with Greenidguy that, on any computer/software platform, "sometimes updates aren't quite 'ready for primetime' at initial release".

But overall, during the past year, it's been clear that DJI has provided more features and better performance with its updates.

What strikes me as odd, I guess, is why some people who have almost no previous knowledge of aeronautics, computers, file structure, or digital photography, would buy these products as their first venture into "flying cameras" -- and then scream about how hard it is to master all of the technical details.

Anyway, happy flying. I love my DJI products!

Marketing, marketing and more aggressive marketing. I purchased mine as a weekend fun toy. I have flown fixed wing craft for years and just wanted something that could hover. I like exploring. The issue I have with the brand is that it is not producing solid updates for a device that has the potential to hurt someone if it goes silly. If it was a RC car then it's not too bad, but these drones have dodgy firmware which poses a risk. Imagine dji making assault rifles for our soldiers and 60% misfire when used in a live action mission in war. See how dangerous they are. Their reply would be that the mark 2 rifle should work better. Lol The drone is not worth the money. It should be cheaper. It's only a matter of time til they release an update that ends up crashing a massive amount of p4's.......I bet it will happen.

Last edited:
Go back through the forum history and read the many frustrated posters who had more issues or new issues after updating.
I don't think counting up those posts is a fair representation of firmware stability when considering barely anyone who had a good experience is posting their praises here.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
I guess I'm in the minority then. I think it is great that they frequently update their software. On the whole DJI products crash more often then any other product. DJI has more reported defects than any other product, more repairs than any other manufacturer. It's not because the product is bad... To the contrary, im convinced it is the best platform in the world. The reason there are more problems reported Is because DJI has sold more products than the rest combined. There is great value in crash data, reported problems and repairs. I'm confident that is why we get frequent updates. It's not because they are sinister and want to ruin your AC. I kind of view the people that don't update the beta testers. You get to find out what bug was in the previous software.

DJI holds like 70% of the market......

And you got a few who complained about an update and now it's a world wide panic attack of how DJI is shooting from the hip? Let's get for real guys:)

Who is complaining and why? What exactly is the problem? OP can you list the major defect on the latest update, and how it affects your flying? I'm courious as I plan to update today when I get home from work.

Reactions: konidair
I continue to update with the HOPE of bug fixes, new features and improvements. I flew last night with the updated IOS app, and I didn't see any difference from before.

However, I'd still pay good money if an app developer put out an app that competed with DJI Go. That app would be really cool if it was customizable with the ability to tweak different settings like transmission power output.

I am just saying, if it's not broke why update. Read the forum and see how many people regretted the update when their bird was flying well before. I am not saying to never update, just avoid it if all is working for you.

Reactions: Greenidguy
I dont trust software that much (I work in the software industry), that said if a patch comes out that pertains to my device, Im gonna update it.
Im not of the if it aint broke dont fix it type, I would hate to find out "its broke" when Im 200' above ground.. but to each, their own.

Reactions: Technodynamic

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj