A fix for GPS loss during video recording

RichWest said:
I'm beginning to believe the interference is sourcing from any number of connectors rather than short-comings of the shielding. My thinking, the unit had no issues in the first few weeks as it was built by DJI. I believe the connections and/or the cables are the source for deteriorating services.

My addition of Stage 3, bird side, did negatively impact my GPS signal. I believe the mod'd Rx board, to accept the new u.fl connected cables, could be the current issue for my installation. I mangled two Rx boards and will now go for a third, better tooled to tackle the black glue per Tony's tip for hot air removal.

Just sharing my results...Thank you HunterSK!

Thanks RichWest. On both my Vision+ units, I've noticed that the GPS loss while recording issue was not noticeable until a number of weeks or months of ownership.

As Burbank commented in a previous forum post, the GPS cable's connection could be deteriorating due to the aircraft vibration. If this is true, it might be a good idea to apply silicone or some sort of adhesive to reinforce the mechanical connection of the GPS plug.

Thanks for your insight on the FPVLR antenna upgrade, I've encountered people mentioning the black epoxy in the transmitter. Definitely a delicate job.

Result after 12 more flights

After completing 12 fights over the past week in three different environments and varying Kp index between 1-3, here are my results:

11 flights while video recording - no loss of GPS satellite noticeable.

1 flight showed signs of some (1-2) GPS loss. GPS reception during that time was variable between 6-9 satellites. If the aircraft kept constant altitude and position, the GPS satellites would vary 1-3 satellites. Starting/stopping video multiple times appears to cause loss of 1-2 satellites. This environment was in an industrial area and have have contributed to marginal GPS reception, making it hard to be conclusive.

I think I'll be monitoring this issue for all future flights, but based on the evidence gathered so far I consider this GPS plug fix to be largely effective in mitigating loss of GPS during video recording.

HunterSK said:
RichWest said:
I'm beginning to believe the interference is sourcing from any number of connectors rather than short-comings of the shielding. My thinking, the unit had no issues in the first few weeks as it was built by DJI. I believe the connections and/or the cables are the source for deteriorating services.

My addition of Stage 3, bird side, did negatively impact my GPS signal. I believe the mod'd Rx board, to accept the new u.fl connected cables, could be the current issue for my installation. I mangled two Rx boards and will now go for a third, better tooled to tackle the black glue per Tony's tip for hot air removal.

Just sharing my results...Thank you HunterSK!

Thanks RichWest. On both my Vision+ units, I've noticed that the GPS loss while recording issue was not noticeable until a number of weeks or months of ownership.

As Burbank commented in a previous forum post, the GPS cable's connection could be deteriorating due to the aircraft vibration. If this is true, it might be a good idea to apply silicone or some sort of adhesive to reinforce the mechanical connection of the GPS plug.

Thanks for your insight on the FPVLR antenna upgrade, I've encountered people mentioning the black epoxy in the transmitter. Definitely a delicate job.

Result after 12 more flights

After completing 12 fights over the past week in three different environments and varying Kp index between 1-3, here are my results:

11 flights while video recording - no loss of GPS satellite noticeable.

1 flight showed signs of some (1-2) GPS loss. GPS reception during that time was variable between 6-9 satellites. If the aircraft kept constant altitude and position, the GPS satellites would vary 1-3 satellites. Starting/stopping video multiple times appears to cause loss of 1-2 satellites. This environment was in an industrial area and have have contributed to marginal GPS reception, making it hard to be conclusive.

I think I'll be monitoring this issue for all future flights, but based on the evidence gathered so far I consider this GPS plug fix to be largely effective in mitigating loss of GPS during video recording.

Thanks for posting this up Hunter. I never realized the amount of people that where running into this issue. I had found that most GPS drop issues where fixed by the shielding mod and shielding the cable.

Now I realize why all of those people that found their GPS signal decrease after the mod and had it gets worse because of the repeated plug insertion and removal. It hard to stay up on top of everything and I am glad I was able to help you in your situation. My apologies for clogging up your thread, it is most informative and contributes greatly to this community. :geek:

Short flights over the last two weekends, GPS is showing 9-11 sat's while recording. Maybe lose 1 when recording starts, but it comes back as my flight continues. Still have not done the complete GPS shield mod, other than placing the cable under the shielding.

I am to receive what I hope is a replacement connector for the GPS plug, which has the tab latch. Should have parts this week and will be able to confirm if it is a fit. This will hopefully resolve the mod to secure the plug to the main board's connection.

EDIT to add: Received the connector and it fits nicely. However the terminal pins are crimp style and for my limited application needs the $679 tool doesn't make sense. If I did upgrade the connector the wires would be soldered to the new pins. The pin quality, fwiw, is much better than the stock version from DJI, Tyco Electronics from Mouser. The contact pressure is noticeable when installing and removing from the pin terminal.

EDIT TO ADD, Parts list for a replacement connector options : http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912&p=326645#p326645

Side note, FPV signal is at full resolution over the last two weekends. Not sure exactly what has corrected, but for the first time in several months everything seems to be working great. Could the GPS connection be a source for interference to effect the FPV transmission? FWIW, I have not updated any firmware that was recently released. The temp's are around 76F... overcast with 15 MPH winds

Hi

does anyone know whether the problem with the GPS plug has been eradicated on the P2V+ V3.0? I know the shielding around the GPS unit has been improved but I haven't heard with the the plug issue has been addressed.

Thanks

Bill

I have a V3, it works fine, however I did put a little velcro on the back of the plug to make sure it is a tight fit just to be sure.

robinb said:
I have a V3, it works fine, however I did put a little velcro on the back of the plug to make sure it is a tight fit just to be sure.

That's my question really. Being ham fisted, I'm wondering whether I really have to do something and risk making a mess of it, or whether it's better left alone.

well its only a 5mm strip of velcro on back of plug. (the coil firmer bit of velcro).

The plug is will not come out of socket as the top shell would stop that.
As for if it could loose connection in place, that is the $64k question.
I had the top off to inspect everything so it took only a few seconds to fit the velcro.
With the V3 the cable is not a loose inside as the extra shielding, took longer to fit the plug back on due to lack of gap, but then that only took 30 seconds.

If you do, just make sure plug is pushed home fully and that all the screws are tightened correctly.

I did not continue mentioning the smoke and mirrors because I thought it was clear enough. You said on the GPS plug that you discovered 5 months ago there was a problem. But yet you didn't want to mention it until after it came up in my posting at the beginning of December.

You also said that since discovering it, you have been doing a fix on all the visions that come into your shop. I pointed out how it was odd that your own partner didn't even know about these quads being fixed in house. I shared a link where if you looked on page 9 on December 9th he was just learning about such a problem. Otherwise the man would have said how you guys had been addressing the problem.

You also then mentioned how this area of the GPS Plug needing to be shielded. You say you do place a small amount of hot glue, but nowhere do you show anything you have been doing to address the shielded issue.

Overall it simply gets to the point in which people begin asking themselves if Jeremy knows what he is talking about, or knows what he doing, ect.

I can get along with you. I just ask that you be considerate to those that could be less inclined, and in a desperate situation.

Hey Guys if you want to fight use your own email. I don't feel this is a forum for what you both are doing. You both can contribute without being vindictive, so do so.

It looks like they did.

It was dormant since Feb. until you brought it up again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic