A few simple questions to you who know..

Reaction score
1. When you set the p3 batt to discharge say on x-amount of days.. How exactly does that work?

will the count basically begin after the first day it's not touched? Or not used? Like is it based off when the drone/battery was powerd up last I take it? So if I powerd on the battery last night, then it will start the x-amount of days count down with in 24 hours After it was last powerd up?

2. I know we can shoot pics in single shots or burst, but wouldn't it be an even more detailed image if I were to just take a screenshot of the video playback directly off the sd card? I have a p3a, so if I took a screen shot of a video, it would basically be a still image in 2.7k.. So wouldn't that be better detailed than a 16mp still picture? Or is it not as good..?

3. When setting the low battery warning.. If I set the warning up to say 35-40% vs stock 30% will the craft I
Enable rth sooner? Or will it still only rth at 30%? Cuz I thought about setting it up to 35% cuz I often go out far and would like that little extra time for my battery to make the trip home incase of high winds or some other issue I may encounter.

4.in advanced settings there is a blue button -enter flight data mode- what exactly is this used for? Is it for when you are on the dji website or healthy drones, you connect the USB from the quad directly to your PC and click this button? Or is it for something totally differnt.

5. I know the USB on the quad itself is for flight data, does anybody ever use this method to transfer the flight data? Or can you just as easily transfer the data to dji website or healthy drones through browsing/uploading directly from the device that you use for fpv/dji go.

6. Are the stock props the best props? And are carbon fiber props the ONLY other prop that will work with the p3? Is there something better than stock? I'm not a huge fan of the cf props as they are very stiff and will make the aircraft not as fluid though the air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. When you set the p3 batt to discharge say on x-amount of days.. How exactly does that work?

will the count basically begin after the first day it's not touched? Or not used? Like is it based off when the drone/battery was powerd up last I take it? So if I powerd on the battery last night, then it will start the x-amount of days count down with in 24 hours After it was last powerd up?

2. I know we can shoot pics in single shots or burst, but wouldn't it be an even more detailed image if I were to just take a screenshot of the video playback directly off the sd card? I have a p3a, so if I took a screen shot of a video, it would basically be a still image in 2.7k.. So wouldn't that be better detailed than a 16mp still picture? Or is it not as good..?

3. When setting the low battery warning.. If I set the warning up to say 35-40% vs stock 30% will the craft I
Enable rth sooner? Or will it still only rth at 30%? Cuz I thought about setting it up to 35% cuz I often go out far and would like that little extra time for my battery to make the trip home incase of high winds or some other issue I may encounter.

4.in advanced settings there is a blue button -enter flight data mode- what exactly is this used for? Is it for when you are on the dji website or healthy drones, you connect the USB from the quad directly to your PC and click this button? Or is it for something totally differnt.

5. I know the USB on the quad itself is for flight data, does anybody ever use this method to transfer the flight data? Or can you just as easily transfer the data to dji website or healthy drones through browsing/uploading directly from the device that you use for fpv/dji go.

6. Are the stock props the best props? And are carbon fiber props the ONLY other prop that will work with the p3? Is there something better than stock? I'm not a huge fan of the cf props as they are very stiff and will make the aircraft not as fluid though the air

Oops too many questions in one post, most of it is covered in manual.

Let me answer few.

1. Discharge counter starts when battery idles. If you press the button, counter resets.

2. Videos use compressed images and thus there is a loss of information. If you want the best image quality, go for Raw image.

3. Smart RTH will get activated at critical voltage and not at a low voltage setting and actions are as set by you on the DJI Go app.

4. Read the manual.

5. Read the manual.

6. Yes stock props are the best matched props.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When you set the p3 batt to discharge say on x-amount of days.. How exactly does that work?
The battery will start auto discharging X days after it has been sitting without use. It can take up to 2-3 additional days to discharge down to 65%.

will the count basically begin after the first day it's not touched?
Yes. The count will be reset each time the battery button is pressed.

So wouldn't that be better detailed than a 16mp still picture?
It would be equivalent to the quality of a JPG.

cuz I often go out far and would like that little extra time for my battery to make the trip home incase of high winds or some other issue I may encounter.
Enable the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting in the "Main Controller Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" section of DJI GO. That function will notify you when it's time to turn back. If the wind is strong, you might want to turn back even sooner if you'll be flying into the wind on the way back to the home point.

in advanced settings there is a blue button -enter flight data mode- what exactly is this used for?
That allows you to transfer the DAT flight logs from your Phantom. See more details here.

I know the USB on the quad itself is for flight data, does anybody ever use this method to transfer the flight data?
You must use that method to transfer the DAT flight logs. The TXT flight logs are stored on your mobile device.

Are the stock props the best props?
Yes. It's best to always use OEM DJI props.

are carbon fiber props the ONLY other prop that will work with the p3?
You can use any of the props listed here.

Is there something better than stock?
No.

Thanks for all your answers guys. FYI I have read the entire manual, word by word.. But the manual doesn't explain many of these questions in details ... And some of these things I may have forgotten cuz anybody who can read all that and memorize the entire thing the first time over must have an extremely high iq unless it's not your first phantom in my case this is.

I know I should rth early if there is winds , I was just thinking maybe I would set the batt warning a little higher incase I'm far out and didn't notice where my batt level was at, in this case it would worn me sooner thus giving me an extra few minutes to head home INCASE the wind changes or something like that. If there are strong winds that I KNOW I will have to fight then I always head home earlyer than later.

Hey msinger, What's the difference between the DAT log and the TXT flight log? J/q so that I will know when to use one and when to use the other.. Other than that I pretty much understand everything else.. Those were just some of the things I wanted to be more filled in with some more details on just to make sure I was correct on my logic of how all that works and what these things are for/used for ..

What's the difference between the DAT log and the TXT flight log?
The DAT log contains more flight information. Also, if the downlink or remote controller disconnects mid-flight, data continues to log there since it's stored on the Phantom.

Ok so the dat log will have recorded everyhing .. This must be what ppl are using when they have a crash or go into water, or loose their drone? Cuz I have seen ppl bring up very detailed information on healthy drones before when they have a crash to see what went wrong.. Is this one of the primary reasons for using DAT log? Incase something goes wrong they can go back and see what happend? Or is there yet another form of logs that ppl are reading from to find this crutial information when their phantom gets crashed or lost

... Yah right try finding that Information in the manual, your lucky they even tell you what the port means

Cuz I have seen ppl bring up very detailed information on healthy drones before when they have a crash to see what went wrong
Healthy Drones can only read TXT flight logs.

Is this one of the primary reasons for using DAT log?
There are potentially many reasons someone might want to access the internal flight data.

Or is there yet another form of logs that ppl are reading from to find this crutial information when their phantom gets crashed or lost
You will not be able to access the DAT flight log if you lose your Phantom -- since it's stored on the Phantom.

Got ya.. Well ppl must be using the logs stored in the app then, being that those are the only other logs avalible by the sounds of it.. Must be ppl just upload them to healthy drones more or less becusee it breaks it down much more step by step and is more detailed through that site when looking at your flight logs .

None the less thankyou msinger for all your helpful info. I'm the kinda guy that likes to know every single thing about everything there is to know about something as as this drone. The more we know the better we can use the equiptment, figure out problems, and work though errors, and the better we can fly these beasts. Thanks again

Whats a good app to download to my iPad mini 2 that will allow me to watch and edit 2.7k video? I can watch it on iMovie but it's not full screen unless I "finish" the movie..

Got ya.. Well ppl must be using the logs stored in the app then, being that those are the only other logs avalible by the sounds of it.. Must be ppl just upload them to healthy drones more or less becusee it breaks it down much more step by step and is more detailed through that site when looking at your flight logs .

None the less thankyou msinger for all your helpful info. I'm the kinda guy that likes to know every single thing about everything there is to know about something as as this drone. The more we know the better we can use the equiptment, figure out problems, and work though errors, and the better we can fly these beasts. Thanks again

You certainly won't get "it" all the first time you read the manual, but I think many of the answers to your questions are in there. I read (and still refer to) the manual at least half-a-dozen times, plus buying and reading other books, watching the DJI tuition videos with "Ty" again and again before I even opened the box! So if someone says here "RTFM" please don't take offence. Also, please use the search function here too; many, if not all, the basic queries have been asked and answered many, many times.... and then go and enjoy your flying!

As others have said, a frame grab from video will have compression artifacts. What I didn't see mentioned is that the 2.7k frame grab will also be much lower resolution than a still from the P3 camera, 2704 by 1524 vs 4000 by 3000 pixels.

Also, smart GO home is not triggered at critical battery as has been suggested, rather it is calculated based on distance from home, estimated power required to return and battery level. AC will attempt autoland at critical battery level.

As others have said, a frame grab from video will have compression artifacts. What I didn't see mentioned is that the 2.7k frame grab will also be much lower resolution than a still from the P3 camera, 2704 by 1524 vs 4000 by 3000 pixels.

Also, smart GO home is not triggered at critical battery as has been suggested, rather it is calculated based on distance from home, estimated power required to return and battery level. AC will attempt autoland at critical battery level.

This is exactly what I thought, cuz at critical batt it will automatically start to descend... Which is why I asked the question in the first place.. The manual will not explain many of these questions in great detail which is why I re-asked them on here to get it straight from users who have been there and done that, and what they suggest. I am not new to flying just new to dji. I already know a ton from research, the manual, and this site thanks to helpful ppl..just basically wanted to get more clarification on a few of these matters

Also thanks for letting me know, I will take stills from now on if I want a high res still photo vs. screenshot of a 2.7k.

Thanks to all those who have helped.

Whats a Phantom?...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic