A few questions

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie, so hello to everyone.
I got my P3S around a month ago and I've been playing with it on clear weekends (it's a bit windy/rainy here in the UK at the moment).

On my 5th & 6th flights last weekend I had an odd signal issue, which I wanted to ask you experts about.
On the 5th (longer) flight I flew the bird out from my position (in a large field) and had clear FPV and signal response. I then turned around 90 degrees and flew a little further, stopped for 10 secs or so to adjust the gimbal tilt and then lost both video feed and signal. (No Signal in red at top of app - and 1 bar for remote)
I sent a return to home and she duly came back overhead. The thing I found odd was that I didn't regain signal until she'd landed on the floor - I still had no video feed while she was auto-landing.
I must have had control, as I could move her left/right during the descent. This also happened on flight 6, and I had a red LED on the remote instead of green when I lost the signal. I'm 99.9% sure I COULD still control the drone though...
Any ideas on why this would be?
I've uploaded the Healthy Drones track for flight 5:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

As you can see, I've flown further (and in a much more wi-fi heavy area - i.e: an industrial estate) without signal issues:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I've made no firmware updates or alterations since the first flight.

My other questions, somewhat related:

1) Does the P3S create a wi-fi network from the drone that is boosted by the remote, or is the video sent in a non-wifi format to the remote which then creates a network for the phone/tablet to join?

2) Can you lose the remote control link and maintain the video link?

3) Vice-versa, can you lose the video link and still have flight controls?

Sorry to ask possibly stupid questions, but I've done a lot of reading and thought I understood this but my experience above has made me question it!!

(my understanding: drone controls are on 5.8ghz, video downlink on 2.4ghz to remote, remote then makes 2.4ghz wi-fi network that DJI Go/tablet connects to)

same thing happened to me people on here said it was normal

The way I understand it is, the phantom is sending data back which your controller picks up with its internal antennas, the phone is connected to your controller via wifi.

And finally, I doubt you'll lose control before you lose video/telemetry data from the phantom. Don't know why I didnt just post one response... oh well.

1) My understanding is, your controller has a WiFi extender built-in. So your aircraft's wifi signal is actually communicating with the WiFi extender, which in turn talks to your monitor device on a different freq. And vice versa. This is invisible to you though. It seems you're using your monitor device to talk to the Phantom, but you're actually talking to your extender which talks to the phantom. And this is two-way communication. All data is sent and then relayed back to be verified as correct.

2) Yes.

3) Yes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic