A few questions before first flight...

Reaction score
1. Should I turn off cell phone wifi/data/blutooth while flying? Is this a good practice assuming you have the map already loaded? Is the issue possible interference and not having someone call you in the middle of your flight (and cutting down # of running applications)? Airplane mode should be activated I assume as well.

2. I guess I will find out, but when you move the direction level forward, will the aircraft maintain altitude or do you need to correct for this?

3. Is the "distance away" metric the horizontal distance from you or the hypotenuse leg of the right triangle?

4. Is "altitude" measured from above home point, sea level, or ground level (which will change as you fly)?

5. Will be using a Galaxy S6. Anyone have any issues with this or recommendations?

6. How close to a body of water should I be before I start worrying about shutting off the visual positioning system (if that is necessary?). Planning on flying over water most of the time.

7. Realistic expectations for max distance (line of sight, no obstructions)? Lots of conflicting info out there...

Thanks in advance!

Yes, yes it will maintain, from takeoff, ?? iOS here, you can turn off VPS forever and be fine. Lastly, everyone's mileage varies due to magnetic and radio interference

1. In the beginning until you are comfortable I would say after you load your maps airplane mode is a good idea. I answer calls and make it quick while I fly because I always have control through the controller not the phone but that could take time to get used to.
2. Yes the aircraft will stay at it's "altitude", it does however measure altitude based off of where you took off so if you were flying up a slight incline, then eventually you would have to adjust the altitude yourself to avoid crashing.
3. Distance Away is the Adjacent side of a right triangle.
4. Altitude is measured from the home point in DJI Go, some 3rd party apps are starting to implement a dynamic altitude, I think Autopilot is the first one to do this.
5. I don't personally have experience with the Galaxy S6 but I have heard nothing but good things about using it with the DJI Go app.
6. Unless you are flying indoors you really don't need the VPS. I hand catch my P3P when landing so I don't even use it at all.
7. In general the higher you are, the more range you will get. I have flown over salt flats though at a 100' altitude and got out to 14,000 feet before I had to turn back because of battery. In an urban enviroment you can expect to get about a mile or so with no antenna mods or windsurfer boosters, just make sure you follow the DJI antenna best practices

And please make sure you read, and then re-read the manual. I don't know why they didn't include it in every package but here is the link to the most current ones:
DJI Phantom 3 Pro
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
DJI Phantom 3 4K
DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Reactions: Bigsekcee
And please make sure you read, and then re-read the manual. I don't know why they didn't include it in every package but here is the link to the most current ones:
DJI Phantom 3 Pro
DJI Phantom 3 Advanced
DJI Phantom 3 4K
DJI Phantom 3 Standard

This, above all else. :)

Please read and then re-read the parts that you already don't know backward and forwards.

GPS will over-ride VPS when you have a GPS lock. VPS would only then serve to increase the height of the Phantom if the Phantom is a few feet from the ground and is being flown up a slight hill. That is, VPS would then help maintain the height above ground.

Thanks for the info. Also, I will assume they ship new P3As with current firmware and unless the App tells me an upgrade is available I won't bother with an update. Is this the recommended procedure?

I dont think they are shipping with new firmware, just unzip the firmware file and put it on the sd card. It is best to just leave the firmware there to be sure you update any new batteries. As for the controller firmware you update that through the Go app.

This will tell you how to update the firmware:

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Firmware_Update_Guide_en_v1.4.zip

This is a link to the firmware:
http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/P3S_FW_V01.06.0040.zip

Here is a link to the manual:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Advanced_User_Manual__V1.6.zip

1. I'd recommend using a dedicated device that isn't your primary cell phone. WiFi can be an issue with interference
  2. You might get drift in non GPS modes or if it's using the VPS to maintain height, but should remain level.
  3. It's as the 'crow flies' from it's home point.
  4. It's measured from start point.
  5. See point 1
  6. You'll not be flying that close to water for the VPS to be a factor, I'm sure GPS will be used in those instances.
  7. I'd suggest you test it out in over increasing distances until you reach your limit. Be sure to set failsafe height to a decent height for your area to clear all obstacles.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik