A few questions before first flight of my P3A

Reaction score
I've been reading forums and watching videos prior to purchase but I finally pulled the trigger and bought one. The rain has finally passed (for now) so I think I'm about ready to fly.
I've charged the batteries, unpacked everything, and downloaded the GO app, etc. although I've not turned anything on yet. I've FAA registered the drone and have chatted with the local airport manager (small unmanned airport is 3.3 miles away). Before flight I think I need to check imu and calibrate the compass. Anything else? I doubt that firmware is up to date...can I at least try flying without an immediate update? I'm on iOS and plan on using an iPad air2 so I hope that's not problematic.
Finally, the sd card was already in the camera slot when unpacking. Is it formatted, or will it format when I turn on the RC, or do I need to format it? Thanks for any help.

I've been reading forums and watching videos prior to purchase but I finally pulled the trigger and bought one. The rain has finally passed (for now) so I think I'm about ready to fly.
I've charged the batteries, unpacked everything, and downloaded the GO app, etc. although I've not turned anything on yet. I've FAA registered the drone and have chatted with the local airport manager (small unmanned airport is 3.3 miles away). Before flight I think I need to check imu and calibrate the compass. Anything else? I doubt that firmware is up to date...can I at least try flying without an immediate update? I'm on iOS and plan on using an iPad air2 so I hope that's not problematic.
Finally, the sd card was already in the camera slot when unpacking. Is it formatted, or will it format when I turn on the RC, or do I need to format it? Thanks for any help.
With the latest go app, depending on the FW that is currently on the AC and RC, you may need to update both. Give power up a try, then check the AC and RC versions in the app. It is possible that it may not connect properly. No need to format the SD card. IMU should be good, but definately calibrate the compass!

Last edited:
You don't mention if you have flown quads/drones before. I would spend some time in the simulator that's included with the Go App. It is a great way to get familiar and comfortable with the advanced flight modes and RTH. I know I felt a lot more comfortable spending a day using it. It also helps with aircraft orientation if you are not use to flying a copter/quad, or if you haven't in some time. Just my opinion :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You don't mention if you have flown quads/drones before. I would spend some time in the simulator that's included with the Go App. It is a great way to get familiar and comfortable with the advanced flight modes and RTH. I know I felt a lot more comfortable spending a day using it. It also helps with aircraft orientation if you are not use to flying a copter/quad, or if you haven't in some time. Just my opinion :)

I have not flown before. It has taken several days just to find time to get things unpacked, charged and ready so until I turn it on, I have no idea what FW version I have or what to expect. I know I will need to register with DJI. I also have both an iPad air2 and an iPhone 6s, both of which are mentioned on forums as having possible connectivity problems. So if everything will turn on and interconnect, simulator is a good option. Will I be able to use it even if the FW is old? Do the motors turn on when in simulator? I am totally new to all of this...and there is a lot to take in. Thanks.

I agree with MasterBlaster's response. It would be very wise to fly a smaller craft to get started. Yes, the Phantom's are easy to fly, however to be prepared for an eventual emergency, and it does happen. You would be well advise to use a "practice" aircraft first. Personally, I flew a Syma X5C, quite some time before I reached for a Phantom and it really helps to have that flight time.And don't count on the simulator to give a real time response. Just my 2.5 cents.

Just take baby steps. Update and calibrate everything. When you are ready for your first flight, find a very open area, calibrate your compass, make sure a home point is set, as well as a safe return to home altitude. Set the app to beginner mode. Auto take off and hover. Carefully learn what the sticks do. Move the quad around a bit. Snap a couple of pics maybe. Land. You can auto land, or gently bring the quad down with left stick. When on the ground, hold left stick all the way down, and the motors will shut down. Go have a beer, and admire your new pilot skills.

Appreciate all the responses. Luckily we live on 90 acres; approx. 15 acres are treeless pasture so I have a great practice area within a few minutes walk. I am anxious to get started but I am cautious to make sure everything is done right. Thank you for the advice.

Agree with Fly Dawg. You can pick up a micro drone for around 30 bucks and that will get you some flight time without hurting anyone or anything. I know that sounds funny but it has helped many others and will be cheaper than a repair will run you. I learned that the hard way with my collective choppers. I ended up with $500+ in repairs 2 times. That's when I decided to throw down $179 on a simulator. Spent a month on it before I flew again.
To answer your question, no, the motors will not spin. Although the bird does need to be on. As far as updates, someone else can answer that that knows better. I am one that always updates. Remember the important thing, have fun! Your going to love it!

If I can impose with a few more questions. I've gotten everything turned on, calibrated compass. I use shows good. Camera works but moving the left stick does not start the motors. AC and controller FW versions show as "unknown". Is this why motors don't start? Front lights solid red, rear lights slow blink green. Also, to turn everything off do I just reverse the process?
BTW, no flying for me until I get something to practice with. Thanks

If I can impose with a few more questions. I've gotten everything turned on, calibrated compass. I use shows good. Camera works but moving the left stick does not start the motors. AC and controller FW versions show as "unknown". Is this why motors don't start? Front lights solid red, rear lights slow blink green. Also, to turn everything off do I just reverse the process?
BTW, no flying for me until I get something to practice with. Thanks
Nevermind--2 sticks. I'm calling it a night.

Both sticks bottom corners to start, left stick all the way down for 3 seconds to stop them. I would read the manual, or like I said fly the sim to get more familiar. In the sim, you start, stop the exact way you would if you were flying the real thing. Good Luck!

Any thoughts about why the rc and Ac show as "versions unknown "? Hard to know what the latest FW version is to know how to upgrade, right?

I have no idea. I am sure someone on here will give you good advice though. Will the motors spin?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic