A few "Newbie Questions"..

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just found out about the Phantom Quadcopter and then this cool forum.

If you would indulge me with a few newbie questions, I would be very grateful.

1. Is there anyway to increase the distance which I believe is 1000' further out?
2. I see most are using the GoPro Hero 3. I have an older GoPro Hero 2 which doesn't have Wi-Fi.
So I would assume I either need to purchase the Wi-Fi add on for it or just upgrade to the GoPro 3?
From the great videos I've seen shot with this, I assume your video signal can be transmitted to either
a smart phone or a tablet? If so, will it work with a Droid? What tablet is best suited as well?

As I said, I just found out about this cool way of filming and have been reading as much as I can. Once I found
there was a forum specifically for the Phantom, I figured this would be the best place to get first hand information.

Thank you in advance for any help and answers. Looking forward to getting started.

Regards.

Mark / Las Vegas, NV

Don't use WiFi on the Go Pro... It operates in the same 2.4Ghz band as the Phantom TX/RX and could cause undesired results.
Most people are shooting video on the fly. you can spend more $$ on FPV gear (my Fat Shark is on back order for the last month)if you really want to get the shot in the frame.

SCADAMON said:
Don't use WiFi on the Go Pro... It operates in the same 2.4Ghz band as the Phantom TX/RX and could cause undesired results.
Most people are shooting video on the fly. you can spend more $$ on FPV gear (my Fat Shark is on back order for the last month)if you really want to get the shot in the frame.

Thanks for replying SCADAMON. So are you saying that people who have the Phantom Quadcopter/GoPro Hero3 setup are
shooting video basically "blind". Without any video assist / monitor as a reference? How do you know what's being framed
then?
I've seen some really beautiful footage of shots that go thru forests or shots following rivers in the Amazon that seem to
have major curves. How can you shoot "on the fly" when the Phantom is that far out knowing how to navigate the system?

Also, can you tell me more about the Fat Shark. How do you use it? What model is recommended? Expense etc.

Thanks.

Mark

Re: A few "Newbie Questions"..

You need a 5.6 Downlink that includes a RX and TX with monitor to frame shots.
Do not use wifi.

Google downlink for Phantom.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: A few

edunwody said:
You need a 5.6 Downlink that includes a RX and TX with monitor to frame shots.
Do not use wifi.

Google downlink for Phantom.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edunwody,
Will my older GoPro Hero 2 work with this setup or do I need the new GoPro Hero 3 Black?

jumanoc said:
Hey, you can shot what you are qatching on a monitor or goggles, connecting the gopro video out to a VTX (video transmiter) on phantom.
Check my diagrams here and you'll be clear around this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052727&postcount=4

Jumanoc,

Thanks for taking time to post and the link to your diagrams. I will definitely check them out.
This is all very new to me. I'm used to the "old style" conventional film making but it looks very intriguing not
to mention very creative.

Best.

Mark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers