A disaster into the river, and a happy ending!

Reaction score
So, I've been following all these posts for months watching people worried about drowning their phantom. Not me! I've been uber careful, long battery life, foam noodle floats, careful over saltwater etc. I did a great video of some gold claims that I pan at near Victoria where I live and made some lovely shots in a narrow river with overhanging trees. see a problem yet? This is the video I made of the footage before...the disaster...

http://youtu.be/pRyOlA5nfck

Then the last battery, last shot, I wanted a high shot over the river. With the orientation reversed the GPS starting drifting into a tree. i hit forward, the quad obviously went backwards and it was up a tree 12 metres above the ground over a river. ****! I'm in the middle of nowhere, the people I'm with are way down river and I don't want to look like an idiot. So instead of asking for help I climb up the moss covered rocks and using a dead branch, snag a lower branch on the tree. i start rocking the tree and eventually manage to loosen the Phantom. It spins 12 metres to the ground, a large granite boulder, and bounces 8 metres in the air, shooting the rubber grommet no-mo-jello mounted go pro in an arc into the river. The Phantom lands in the water upside down, the floats keeping it above water. I manage to snag it with a piece of wood before it's gone downstream, although it is floating. And I recover the Gopro. This is the video from it;, fairly hallucinogenic, although you can see me at the start trying to free it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7woMunx_ ... Vjd-PHQT0w

So I eventually get the Phantom home, put a blow dryer near it's battery hole and let it run on low for an hour. Find some new screws for the landing skids that went flying, recalibrate the brain, twice, and replace and rebalance the props. Today I had to recalibrate again after the motors wouldnt start. Then....normal. GPS working, Home lock good, Return to Home working...all good.This thing is a tank! It takes a licking and keeps on ticking! Probably a different story in the saltwater, but for a freshwater dunk, there is a happy ending. Hope you enjoy the videos....

Cool videos. Glad it wasn't badly damaged.

How big is Victoria Island ? I went there in 1974, when I was a teen, but don't really remember too much except
for the Butchart Gardens.
Oh yeah, and the weird cigarettes ! Prince Charles, in a box, quite a change from Marlboro. God I'm glad I quit smoking. ;)

Nice video but I have to say... risky flying!

A few days ago in this forum someone mentioned that flying close to tall trees can degrade GPS lock -- I've observed this myself in our backyard, where I've narrowly avoided crashing into the tall firs in GPS because of drift. I've also been confused by orientation and like you, went "forth" when I should have gone "back".

When the quad is drifting towards a tree it's hard not to want to do something fast. Usually a mistake is the only thing I can do quickly. I think I ended up trying to pull it back with home lock but because it was almost directly overhead it didn't respond the way I wanted and did the opposite. Home lock only works reliably to about 10m away sideways. Overhead I don't know what it does, something to practice I guess.

I have found that when I'm headed into a disaster, it is easiest to just flip the Phantom into RTH mode or just sent it straight up- and then worry about additional control once you're above the trees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik