A Couple Of Questions That Have Probably Been Asked Before

Reaction score
My P3A has around 800k ft on it, with no problems except for the occasion signal issue. Recently, I have noticed three things:

1) When flying in a straight line, without touching the left stick, it seems to turn slightly right. It is not drifting and is always in P-GPS. It just turns a little, requiring I make an adjustment. I have to be moving, though. When I stop and hover, it always locks in position. Any thoughts to that?

2) The rear motors are slightly warmer to the touch that the front motors after a long flight (20k+). I ALWAYS flight forward, so I am assuming it is because they are doing more work. Would that be accurate?

3) The right rear motor is slightly warmer to the touch than the left rear motor. Again, it is SLIGHT. The motors are never too hot to touch and hold. It is just a minor (perceived?) temp difference. Should I be concerned?

For background, after each flying session, I pull the props. I verify the motors spin up at the same time, and I listen for any strange noises. There are none. I also hand turn the motors regularly to feel for binding. I have not felt any.

Probably paranoia on my part, but most people here have a lot more experience than I, and I appreciate the input and advice.

If your drone is veering to the side slightly in travel, perhaps you only need to recalibrate the IMU and Compass.
Not sure about warmer motors, but if you want to know actual temperature numbers, buy an RC laser thermometer. Heat gauge will tell you exactly.
How is everything else working? Camera ok? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Thanks for responding. "Veering" may be the best way to describe it. It is not a constant veer and is slight enough that I thought it was the wind initially. I guess that possibility is still there. Everything else is perfect. Camera is steady, video good, the horizon is level. I did an 18k flight out and back, stock, with no signal issues. Even after that, the motors were only warm, not hot.

calibrate sticks also in the app when phantom is off.
+1 - hunch knows. It definitely sounds like a minor stick calibration problem with the rc.

Sure, Sticks should be done too, removing all obvious variables.

Hopefully you get this corrected, however minor the deviation. ;-)

I have gotta' admit, how much I love the fact, that my drone flies exactly where I aim and direct it.
Object avoidance would certainly benefit this too. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Hunch, thanks. Reed, thanks for the link. That makes sense on the veering. I will do that tonight and test it in the morning.

RedHotPoker, I appreciate the suggestion. I calibrated the compass at the flying site, but still had the veering. I will recalibrate the IMU after I work up the courage to install the latest firmware update.

Reactions: hunch
Eh, the latest firmware is Rock-solid, so fear~not. Haha
I can only voice personal opinion and experience, but if you have a trouble free drone, this update won't hurt you. ;-)

Now some folks are saying recalibration of the IMU isn't critical after any of these firmware updates. Go figure. Each to their own. YMMV but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Besides I enjoy the chilling procedure. Haha

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj