A compatible high channel transmitter. Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I don't consider myself an expert on the Phantom 2, so I need some advice. Being an electrical engineer, ham, etc. makes me want to add a lot of 'things' to my Phantom.

Ideally, I would like a absolute minimum of 10 channels, but I would prefer more. I recall reading that the P2 has a receiver with some unused channels. But, I might want to swap it out, for a higher channel rave later.

I can't afford a Futaba 18 channel transmitter. I do have a Futaba 9Z, that I converted to 2.4Ghz, but I don't know if it would be compatible. So, what are some good, high channel transmitters that will work with the factory receiver. Second, any suggestions on a transmitter and receiver for even more channels.

I think there are at least 4 unused channels on the P2, but the factory supplied transmitter can't access all. Hence, my looking for a new transmitter.

p.s. I did search as I thought this would have been asked before.

PhantomFanatic said:
Hi all,

I don't consider myself an expert on the Phantom 2, so I need some advice. Being an electrical engineer, ham, etc. makes me want to add a lot of 'things' to my Phantom.

Ideally, I would like a absolute minimum of 10 channels, but I would prefer more. I recall reading that the P2 has a receiver with some unused channels. But, I might want to swap it out, for a higher channel rave later.

I can't afford a Futaba 18 channel transmitter. I do have a Futaba 9Z, that I converted to 2.4Ghz, but I don't know if it would be compatible. So, what are some good, high channel transmitters that will work with the factory receiver. Second, any suggestions on a transmitter and receiver for even more channels.

I think there are at least 4 unused channels on the P2, but the factory supplied transmitter can't access all. Hence, my looking for a new transmitter.

p.s. I did search as I thought this would have been asked before.

I don't know what the number of idle or unused channels are available with the OEM Rx so I can't verify but I can say that the only transmitters compatable with DJI's 2.4GHz DESST protocol are Futaba 2.4GHz FASST protocol types.

Based on your wishes above your choices are the 18MZ, 14SG,or 10CG.
Anything else will require swapping the Rx too.

73s

There are no free channels that can be tapped into on the stock receiver. There is one channel free if you use the 8FGS or 14SG receiver. In order to get more, I am pretty sure you need a second receiver.

It looks like I'll have to read the manual again. I could have sworn there were four extra channels. I must have misunderstood.

Although, if I do upgrade to another transmitter, for more channels, I'll probably replace the receiver anyway?

Thanks

The standard Phantom tx offers 7 channels:
- 4 from the sticks
- 2 from the switches
- "7th" channel via a pot on the circuit board, accessible via an add-on lever; or same as the dial on new tx models

The 7th channel is usually used to control a gimbal's pitch. There's an 8th output that can be used to adjust gimbal yaw.
Of course, you can hook up whatever you'd like to the 7th & 8th channels.

The Naza module normally expects D-Bus (like S-Bus) in from the receiver. But it can also take PPM input, or even 8 discrete inputs. (At least certain Naza modules can; not 100% sure about Phantoms.)

ianwood said:
There are no free channels that can be tapped into on the stock receiver. There is one channel free if you use the 8FGS or 14SG receiver. In order to get more, I am pretty sure you need a second receiver.

Yes, you are correct. I went back to see where I saw four and I must have misread. There is that one channel, so I will need to do a rcver and xmtr swap out. I would imagine that pretty much any transmitter would be acceptable, if I did that.

A p.s. I just read that two are available. Either way, I have a gimbal installed so I assume that any available channels are now being used.

Okay, since it appears I will be replacing the transmitter and receiver, does anyone have opinions on what models to go with. (I want the Futaba 18, IF Santa brings it!)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4