A cautionary tale...

Reaction score
OK - so I've flown a few drones. But the P4 is my first "expensive" unit.

I've had about 20 flights, up to 1.5 miles away. Never a single issue ever. Smooth as glass. Completely in control.

2 weeks ago, late in the evening, after a few adult beverages, I decide to try to fly indoors. In my relatively small living room. Big mistake.

Takeoff is smooth. Drifting begins. Switch to ATTI mode, attempt to control and land. Run into wall, P4 flips over onto top, quickly pick up and switch off.

I immediately start seeing compass errors on #2 - "disconnected". The trim near the 2 optical sensors is knocked off. I can fly on 1 compass (and do a couple of flights), but decide to send for repair (DJI authorized dealer in my region).

Unfortunately, I broke the connector on one of the main boards where the compass connects. Probably $240 in repairs. My bad - I'm not going to piss and moan and look for a free repair.

Just wanted to warn others. Be smart. Be safe. Don't be like me.

Reactions: Fitcherama and SGs
Yeah man I can't imagine trying to fly the bird indoors. Good post though, and warning.

Unfortunately, I broke the connector on one of the main boards where the compass connects. Probably $240 in repairs. My bad - I'm not going to piss and moan and look for a free repair.
Wow, that's an expensive mishap. I'm still trying to get my head around how you broke an internal main board connector from such a minor crash. That's seems like a freak accident where the stars lined up perfectly to rob your wallet. (I can whine about your mishap can't I?)

I've flown both my P3A and P4 in the house. It is not for the faint of heart. The key to success was many hours of X5C in the house first. Also leaving VPS and CA on. Prop wash is pretty intense.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic