A better heli pilot, due to phantom flying?

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
Any of you learning to fly Heli's, through phantom flying?
Reason I ask, is a few years back ( 6-8 yrs ) I figured I'd give heli flying a go, so I bought this:
( helimax axe cp pro ) 3D helicopter
8E2812BB-B716-4B5F-BD5E-8E749CE75D3C_zpssamsuxkq.jpg

I tried to fly it several times, ultimately crashing SEVERAL times, bought it twice over in replacement parts. She is fresh and new again, but I gave up.
Fast forward to 2-1/2yrs ago
I bought my first phantom ( p2v )
Been flying for the last 2-1/2yrs, and have gotten pretty good at ORIENTATION!
So 6 months or so ago, I bought this:
F8E6E2BD-BBFD-49B8-B04F-0483169C7F7E_zpscynb4ecm.jpg

( wltoys v977 brushless 3D-6g helicopter )
Another pic
( this is micro, one above was MUCH bigger )
4B9152A4-78D3-4C4A-AAF5-E5F9CC642A9C_zpsq75nnkyr.jpg

Well I flew it for the first time the other day, and I was not bad? I was like WTH, right away, was doing flat turns ( no collective pitch ), momentum turns ( collective ), and stall turns ( collective )!, I can maintain a decent stable hover, can fly nose any direction , tail forward is a bit hard, and have not braved INVERTED, YET!!!!!!!!!
All this in 3D mode, 6g for beginners ,
But I HONESTLY believe, that these last couple years flying my phantoms, has made me a MUCH BETTER, heli pilot! A LOT is different between the 2, but ORIENTATION, is the key and common factor between them!
Best thing is , I have not crashed it YET! But did have to dive behind my bed twice,:eek: close call, indoor flights!
AC unit kicked on, and blew it right at me, TWICE, but both times I managed to pull out, without incident!
I lost coolness points, in the wussy dives, but I'd like to keep my eyes a few more years! Lol :rolleyes:

So I was just wondering if any of you experienced, or IS experiencing this as well?

Kinda cool, free heli lessons with every flight! Food for thought!

J Dot
:cool:
Take care, Fly safe!

Reactions: dirkclod
I believe that learning the drone first made all of the difference for you. It's just like when I learned downhill skiing for the first time. The instructor was "sure" that I had skied before but according to her, water skiing did not count. I know it did. I never took another ski lesson other than the intro-lesson and started skiing with my buddies.

I flew my P3P (my first drone or multi rotor) for the first time 2 days ago. I practiced on the simulator the night before. I used to fly RC aircraft quite a bit over 20 years ago. The simulator was the refresher course and it was like riding a bike. Once learned, you never forget. And, I run joysticks all day long at work so that might help too. The P3P does not really fly like much of anything else I've ever flown but it is super easy to fly. I would like to up the gains later on so that I can do more extreme flying when comfort levels allow it.

The P3/P2 has actually made me complacent. The assisted GPS/IMU flight modes has made me numb and dumb with reaction times.

I once could fly full manual with the P2. But now I just **** myself whenever I see the P2 drop altitude when I flick over to manual. I try to correct but end up over correcting and end up panicking instead.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub