A beginner's first foray in to FPV racing drones - what do you reckon?

Reaction score
I understand this is not the best place to post something like this, but there are probably others here that have bought a phantom and then decided to try out FPV racing for the immersive experience and a speed fix. Or vice versa.

Any recommendations on what to start off with? I'm thinking of just getting a RTF to start off with, as not sure I can be bothered sitting down to build it up myself. We'll see. Happy to repair it, of course.

Looking at some of the Storm 250s from Helipal, in particular this one:

http://www.helipal.com/storm-racing-drone-rtf-type-b.html

Any recommendations/warnings on these or others - RC controllers/3s v 4s/tri-blades v Bi/type A or B/FPV goggles etc

I've had a look at rcgroups, but their format is odd; it's kind of a gaudy mess where everything is hidden in loooong threads with dated info at the start. Is that still my best bet for information on FPV racing?

Thanks in advance.

I'd look at Lumenier QAV250 full carbon.
http://www.lumenier.com/products/multirotors/qav250

available in rtf, and kit form. Seems like most of the best fpv racing videos use this frame. I have one myself, although i still cant get used to the goggles yet.
ImmersiionRC also just came out with a arf and rtf 250 class racer.
http://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/vortex-racing-quad/
and they make the most popular video transmitter system around, so the name is well known. I've crashed my qav250 several times full speed into the ground or trees with nothing worse than broken props, and one bent motor shaft so I can attest to its strength.

as for the hardware, tmotors or cobra motors seem to be the main choice. the Naze32 or CC3d for flight controller, but don't expect anywhere to the ease of setup you get with a phantom :)

I'm using fatshark dominator v2 goggles with an immersion 600mw transmitter. sony ccd super had camera. works good, but depending on WHERE you are racing, i.e. buildings, parking structures, open fields, the 1.2ghz of 900mhz systems have much better penetration of obstacles.

Get Lots and lots of Gemfan 5x3 blades. you're gonna use them up fast while racing.

hope this helps a little. It's such a new segment of r/c quads, that the reviews are all over the place. I myself went for the parts and supplies i see in real videos that work well and survive.Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: ScottyT
I'd look at Lumenier QAV250 full carbon.
http://www.lumenier.com/products/multirotors/qav250

available in rtf, and kit form. Seems like most of the best fpv racing videos use this frame. I have one myself, although i still cant get used to the goggles yet.
ImmersiionRC also just came out with a arf and rtf 250 class racer.
http://www.immersionrc.com/fpv-products/vortex-racing-quad/
and they make the most popular video transmitter system around, so the name is well known. I've crashed my qav250 several times full speed into the ground or trees with nothing worse than broken props, and one bent motor shaft so I can attest to its strength.

as for the hardware, tmotors or cobra motors seem to be the main choice. the Naze32 or CC3d for flight controller, but don't expect anywhere to the ease of setup you get with a phantom :)

I'm using fatshark dominator v2 goggles with an immersion 600mw transmitter. sony ccd super had camera. works good, but depending on WHERE you are racing, i.e. buildings, parking structures, open fields, the 1.2ghz of 900mhz systems have much better penetration of obstacles.

Get Lots and lots of Gemfan 5x3 blades. you're gonna use them up fast while racing.

hope this helps a little. It's such a new segment of r/c quads, that the reviews are all over the place. I myself went for the parts and supplies i see in real videos that work well and survive.Your mileage may vary.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look-see at all that.

With regards to the goggles, is there any point with going to a higher def pair, or are the dominator v2s sufficient? I was thinking of getting some that have an HDMI connection so I could use them with the phantom too...

Most of all, are you enjoying it - worth the time and money?

I fly the Storm Racing Drone Type A,,the newer version has some options you had to pay to get on the "Type A",,,whatever you get, chances are you will buy something a little different later after you get some experience

I had the the dominator HDs which are superior to any other goggles is video quality but the only problem you will run into is if your head is narrow then the diopters won't adjust enough to correct the problem, so I sold them. Yes they will work great through the hdmi plug mod. I also had the moverio bt-200s which in my opinion were far superior because of the fact that you could see through them while having a floating large screen projected out in front of you. wish I had never sold them. As far as top of the line fpv racers, I built a blackout hex that is a monster full of power, but they also make a frame that's comparable to the quav250 called a blackout H frame. If you go to Rcgoups.com and scroll down to multirotors you can find hundreds of designs and lots of information. Hope that helps:D

I fly the Storm Racing Drone Type A,,the newer version has some options you had to pay to get on the "Type A",,,whatever you get, chances are you will buy something a little different later after you get some experience
Yeah that's true. Perhaps I'll just keep it simple and get something else once I get more experience.
What goggles are you using?

I had the the dominator HDs which are superior to any other goggles is video quality but the only problem you will run into is if your head is narrow then the diopters won't adjust enough to correct the problem, so I sold them. Yes they will work great through the hdmi plug mod. I also had the moverio bt-200s which in my opinion were far superior because of the fact that you could see through them while having a floating large screen projected out in front of you. wish I had never sold them. As far as top of the line fpv racers, I built a blackout hex that is a monster full of power, but they also make a frame that's comparable to the quav250 called a blackout H frame. If you go to Rcgoups.com and scroll down to multirotors you can find hundreds of designs and lots of information. Hope that helps:D

Thanks. The bt-200s were ok in the daylight and otherwise sufficient for racing? How did you interface them - do you buy a separate 5.8Ghz receiver for the video or something?

I only used them for the P2V+. So my bad, I don't think there was an easy way to interface them. Everybody seems to be happy with the headplays, so that's next on the list.

You guys and your amazing, spirited flying, drone copter machines. ;-)
I admire anyone who can fly that fast, and maintain their composure.

It looks like so much fun, in any of the FPV racing videos I've watched.
Ah, but way too intense for this lawn chair cowboy. I like to relax when I fly, not be at the edge of my seat, covered in sweat, worrying about finishing the race, in one piece. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
You guys and your amazing, spirited flying, drone copter machines. ;-)
I admire anyone who can fly that fast, and maintain their composure.

It looks like so much fun, in any of the FPV racing videos I've watched.
Ah, but way too intense for this lawn chair cowboy. I like to relax when I fly, not be at the edge of my seat, covered in sweat, worrying about finishing the race, in one piece. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

The good thing is the racing drones are tough, extremely tough,,you hit something, change props and keep going,,,but you do go through a LOT of props,,my last order was 6 dozen (but I'm new so I go through more than people that are good)

I attended some of the U.S. National Drone Racing Championships in Sacramento this past week. Simply incredible speeds and skills with those machines. I was in awe.

Andy,
Gee, that's a lot of props. A whole lot. No that would be 12 dozen, right? Hahaha
I give you guys credit, for flying at the speed of thought...

I do enjoy your flying races, by witnessing these from a short distance.

RedHotPoker

I attended some of the U.S. National Drone Racing Championships in Sacramento this past week. Simply incredible speeds and skills with those machines. I was in awe.

Oso,
By any chance, did you happen to video any of them awe inspiring races?
Ah, or only just stood by & watched the festivities. Either way, you sound amused and still rather excited by what you witnessed. Is this something that you might enjoy doing yourself?
I would love to try it someday...

RedHotPoker

I live in Silicon Valley, a real meca for mini-quad FPV racing. I can't keep up with the fast guys but I have fun. Based on my past 2 years messing around with FPV multicopters of all sizes I'd recommend:

Get really good goggles! Dominator V2's or Skyzones.
Build a generic 250 size quad first. Here are a few bundles from a quality US vendor:
http://multirotormania.com/47-multirotor-packages
Visit the the mini quad forum on RCGroups.com !!!!
Find local flyers and ask questions while trolling for good used deals (!)
Avoid anything that is proprietary in nature..so just get a generic carbon frame.
Either the CC3D or Naze32 flight controllers are good and easy to set up.
Buy a used DX8 or DX9 transmitter so you can use cheap Spektrum clone receivers that work great.
Everyone I know starts with s 3s lipo set up and 5x4 gemfan props.
Try to get a transmitter with an SMA antenna fitting, as opposed to the Chinese RPSMA style so you can use American made antennas.
Look at this YT video series:
I bet someone has already told you to get lots of props...as in a dozen or more to start with...really :)

It's really fun, you'll love it.

:harry

Build your mini quads from scratch with easily obtained standard components. Really.

If you don't possess basic building skills it's a great way to learn, and after you crash and break something then you'll know how to fix it.

In addition, at some point you'll want to know how to set up your flight Controller reprogram your ESC's, or get help from a fellow flyer. You don't want to hear "wow, I've never seen that before..."

:harry

Any particular reason you went with the type A over the type B?
Looks like tri-blades. Can you just replace them with normal props?
Did you mount a camera on it at all? Looks like they have the video transmitter there up the front...

you can use tri or normal props, I just use the camera for FPV, I don't put a gopro on it, but you could on top if you want,I'm always going to but never have,,I just liked the A layout more than the B, but I don't think either is bad, the new SRD is really nice the way it is designed

Oso,
By any chance, did you happen to video any of them awe inspiring races?
Ah, or only just stood by & watched the festivities. Either way, you sound amused and still rather excited by what you witnessed. Is this something that you might enjoy doing yourself?
I would love to try it someday...

RedHotPoker
Here is some video I took at one of the practices. I apologize in advance for my poor video skills. I tried using my DSLR at first, but I had a zoom lens so couldn't get the whole course. I gave up and switched to my iPhone. I was hoping to track a drone around the course to show the speed, but they were just too fast for me to track well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub