969 Meters (appx 3200 feet) high, above the clouds!

Reaction score
Flying high...! Of course NOT in controlled airspace.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,881
More detials please! This is cool! You just went up and up and up? Man, I'd be afraid to try that. I get around 300' and I turn in to a chicken. "Bock Bock! Time to come home and land!"

When did you lose the video signal - video is lost first before the 5.8ghz control, right?

Yes, up and up. Try it.

Video link was fine. RC was a bit shaky, meaning it got lost several times.

A sort of side issue -- what device were you using for the data display, and what did you use to take the screenshot?

Lovely view though... Where in the world are you? When we get cloud that low you'd never get to the other side of it!!

I presume you're using an uncle fester mod here for the video link?

That's awesome
I'm still struggling to get beyond 700ft in altitude before it starts dropping out

You must all have cleaner atmosphere or some ****, lol

gpauk said:
A sort of side issue -- what device were you using for the data display, and what did you use to take the screenshot?

Lovely view though... Where in the world are you? When we get cloud that low you'd never get to the other side of it!!

Home Button + Lock Button pressed at same time will do a screen capture on iPhone.

From the screenshot of your app four things stand out: first of course is the beautiful photo, second is the altimeter reading (wow!), third is you're distance reading (almost straight overhead), and fourth is you've got full bars on your WiFi Signal indicator. Did you takeoff from an isolated area away from homes, buildings, radio signals, etc? I'm sure many of us would love to have just half that range w/control & FPV!

iDrone

MrFlats said:
gpauk said:

Home Button + Lock Button pressed at same time will do a screen capture on iPhone.

Ah -- thanks!
Must be a similar way on an ipad...

Colorado -- so you are probably a fair way above sea level then!

Yep it's the same on the iPad. Home + Lock button

Yes, Colorado, I live at 7200 feet. High desert where I'm at. Picture looking east. Notice the Hot Spot above that house. It's a reflection call "Opposition Effect".

Fanti said:
Flying high...! Of course NOT in controlled airspace.

can you please explain this experience a bit more? i don't understand how you maintained wifi but lost control? I thought the control lasted much farther than wifi (which shows you as full bars in this picture).

Also, if you lost signal several times as stated, wouldn't it have just come all the way down and landed, or did you interrupt the 'going home' process.

this is very interesting (and also dangerous since you can't see airplanes through the clouds).

A few more questions.... :?:
About how long did it take to get to this altitude? I see your iPhone shows 77% battery left...I assume you went straight up from the beginning....?
Had you attempted going for altitude before, if so what was your previous best? How long did you remain at this height and how long was the total up/down trip?
I see the photo you posted from the screen shot shows clouds...but the one with the houses does not...I'm thinking that pix was not taken from the 3200' level??

And...I am amazed at this...I will have some opportunities to be in Western KS before long with clear skies and very little air traffic....not sure I have the moxie to try to match your feat...!! Thanks for sharing your experience...when is your next flight? >Grins< :shock:

Hi guys,

it was in a sort of no fly zone in South Africa, where aviation is forbidden. So I could go that high.

The whole trip up and down took about 12 minutes.

Wifi is not the problem, TX range is. When I fly away though, I hardly have 200 m range. Odd

No mods to any systems, all stock.

I interrupted the going home process.

Yes, straight up from the beginning.

Next project: to exceed 1000 meters..:) And then 2000 ;-)

Why don't you all try ho high you can go and we share the results here.

Even if you loose TX and/or wifi, nothing will happen,worst case it will auto come home.

Fanti said:
Hi guys,

it was in a sort of no fly zone in South Africa, where aviation is forbidden. So I could go that high.

The whole trip up and down took about 12 minutes.

Wifi is not the problem, TX range is. When I fly away though, I hardly have 200 m range. Odd

No mods to any systems, all stock.

I interrupted the going home process.

Yes, straight up from the beginning.

Next project: to exceed 1000 meters..:) And then 2000 ;-)

Why don't you all try ho high you can go and we share the results here.

Even if you loose TX and/or wifi, nothing will happen,worst case it will auto come home.

I can think of a couple more worst case scenarios, but I admire your courage :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic