900Mhz Datalink and PC Ground Station

Reaction score
I can now confirm that this works with the P2V+. I followed wattsn's instructions in a earlier thread to connect the CAN bus.

I had tried the 2.4Ghz Datalink with the iPad but it had lots of interference with FPV. I really liked the iPad app, its a more more polished then the PC app however the PC app has more features.

The range on the 900Mhz Datalink is amazing. I haven't managed to get out of range yet. Only a few flights so far but I'm able to get full bars on the Datalink even when I'm out of control link range. On my laptop I can run Airsquirrels reflect and get simultaneous FPV and GS on the same display. The 900Mhz Datalink does not seem to interfere with GPS, control or FPV in any way. Its a bit higher power draw than the 2.4Ghz Datalink and it is a tiny bit larger so I imagine it will cost a tiny bit of flight time but nice to be able to fly without fences and to save my flight plans and create them ahead of time. There is the added advantage that the PC GS software logs all the data and there is a tool to extract GPS data from a mission.

It wasn't difficult to get running. The only down side are 1) the cost 2) only works with a PC (900Mhz Datalink does not support iPad)
I'll try some longer range flights and some test on battery time and report back later.

With the PC version you can also connect a physical joystick and fly using that. I wonder if DJI will eventually update the 900mhz kit to support Bluetooth. I know the original 2.4g kits didn't support it.

One day i'd like to get the 900mhz kit but I still have a lot of testing to do with the 2.4. Good to know it works with no issues though.

I like the iPad GS but the 2.4Ghz interference with the FPV was a problem for me.
Other good news for the 900Mhz Datalink is that it doesn't need a battery for the PC side as it gets it power from USB from the PC or laptop.
Actually my hope is that DJI would release a GS that would work without adding another radio to the P2V+. I'd happily pay for that option as it would be nice to not add additional hardware or draw additional power.
I am however excited about testing the range of the 900Mhz as it appears to be greater distance than the P2V+ battery will take it.

Got mine installed on the Plus last night and had first two flights this AM. First just a circle with max distance 1K feet and second 3300 feet max distance with no loss of FPV and tilt control. Was relatively flat ground and 120' elevation. Very nice.

Still on 3.04, have not upgraded firmware to 3.06

Can you post pictures of the bird with the 900mhz datalink?

I added a CANBUS connector to one of the legs on my P2V+ for the 2.4G datalink but I had interference issues as well. I was waiting for someone to confirm the 900mhz datalink works before purchasing it as it's much more expensive then the 2.4G datalink but I'm glad to see someone has done it!

Followed wattsn's plan on cable mod, so no CAN BUS. Followed OP's direction and stripped the antenna sheath off so it all would fit into the leg.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18439

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here's a couple photos of my setup with the 900 Mhz Datalink and my new Flytrex Live. I mounted everything vertically to keep it from touching the camera mount and the battery release. I made a small angle bracket to hold it together.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I just ordered the 900mhz Datalink.
Thanks to wattsn for blazing the way, and to Drone Pilot and all the others who posted.
I have 2 P2V+. I plan to install this on one of them when I want to fly missions with a PC, and leave the other one with antenna mods for regular flying.

In case anyone is interested I found the PC ground station stores a log of all missions. The log files are stored in the program files folder and contains all the live feedback from the Phantom GPS. The logs are however encrypted. Fortunately winsta has already cracked this and now you can get KML's from your PC GS log files.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712646

So if you have a good datalink connection the entire mission you have all the tracking data needed right in the GS mission log. With the range of the 900 Mhz datalink being so huge my logs so have been entirely complete.

Whats the benefit of the 900Mhz GS vs the app GS for the vision?

Lets say I don't need 3000' of range and am good with 1000', Other than data logging which I can get from an app, is there any benefit to the added cost of 900Mhz GS?

I typically plan my missions ahead of time and I often fly the same mission many times. The GS app allows for a very fine control of where all the waypoints are placed and even allows waypoints to be trained. Each mission can be saved, re-loaded, edited etc... For me not being able to save and reload and having a geofence kills the usefulness of the Vision/GS app. I wish both the Vision/GS and the full GS allowed for yaw control during waypoint missions.

If you are happy with the Vision/GS app then stick with that.

Most of my GS missions are greater than 500m away from me and greater than 5km total.

DronePilot said:
I typically plan my missions ahead of time and I often fly the same mission many times. The GS app allows for a very fine control of where all the waypoints are placed and even allows waypoints to be trained. Each mission can be saved, re-loaded, edited etc... For me not being able to save and reload and having a geofence kills the usefulness of the Vision/GS app. I wish both the Vision/GS and the full GS allowed for yaw control during waypoint missions.

If you are happy with the Vision/GS app then stick with that.

Most of my GS missions are greater than 500m away from me and greater than 5km total.

So is the big difference between GS 2.4 Ghz and 900 Mhz range?

I have a vision+ that I use the app on. I also have a phantom 2 with H3-3D for my 2.4Ghz ground station. Have not used the 2.4Ghz yet, so not sure what the difference between 2.4 and 900 are other than range and price? Does the 2.4 offer all the same software features?

The 2.4 Ghz Datalink interferes with the P2V+ FPV and vice versa. The 900 Mhz Datalink does not appear to interfere with anything on the P2V+. The 900 Mhz only works with PC GS, it does not work with iOS / ipad GS. The 900 Mhz air end is a bit larger than the 2.4 Ghz air end. It also draws a bit more power. The 900 Mhz Datalink has significantly greater range than the 2.4 Ghz Datalink, 900 Mhz is >= 10 km LOS, 2.4 Ghz is 1500 m. The 900 Mhz Datalink is significantly more expensive than the 2.4 Ghz Datalink.

I have both 900 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz Datalinks and have tried them both on the P2V+.

DronePilot said:
The 2.4 Ghz Datalink interferes with the P2V+ FPV and vice versa. The 900 Mhz Datalink does not appear to interfere with anything on the P2V+. The 900 Mhz only works with PC GS, it does not work with iOS / ipad GS. The 900 Mhz air end is a bit larger than the 2.4 Ghz air end. It also draws a bit more power. The 900 Mhz Datalink has significantly greater range than the 2.4 Ghz Datalink, 900 Mhz is >= 10 km LOS, 2.4 Ghz is 1500 m. The 900 Mhz Datalink is significantly more expensive than the 2.4 Ghz Datalink.

I have both 900 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz Datalinks and have tried them both on the P2V+.

Thanks, that sums everything up pretty well!

So you cannot plan, preload etc save preloaded routes on the app? I find that annoying, would love more control.

AcierX said:
So you cannot plan, preload etc save preloaded routes on the app? I find that annoying, would love more control.

With the additional datalink hardware the ground station app allows saving, loading and editing missions all without connecting to your bird. Once the datalink is connected to you bird a flight plan can be uploaded any time. Updated or new loaded plans can be uploaded during flight should you desire.

For the stock P2V+ with DJI's Vision/GS app you can only create a mission once connected to the P2V+ and it has GPS lock, you cannot save it or reload it later. So very difficult to repeat the same mission exactly from one battery to the next.

Great information on this thread,,, i guess a combination of this thread and watts thread for install...

Seriously would like to have the Full Version of GS,,, and if that is with using a PC laptop would be fantastic!
too bad not avail on the IOS.

watts mentioned in his thread the requirement for a DJI Phantom V2 CAN Module

I that required with the 900Mhz on a P2V+ ?

What is the exact equipment required for the P2V+

And can anyone provide a link of where they purchased so I can compare ?

2.4Ghz vs. 900Mhz Datalink and PC Ground Station

Anyone have any issues with way-points on the 900mhz datalink? Have just been reading on the DJI website and it mentions having to purchase way-points on the page for the 900mhz datalink. Just want to make sure I DON'T have to worry about that. I picked up the 2.4ghz ground-station and tried it out over the weekend, and must say, was not impressed. Range was abysmal, I tried it in 3 different locations in different areas around town & was never able to even exceeded my 5.8 control range. But that wasn't even my biggest problem, it kept dropping the connection every few minutes, I could be 20-30ft away and it would just drop the connection and wouldn't re-connect. I eventually figured out that unplugging and re-plugging in the usb/power cable from the ground unit would allow it to re-connect, but that was a real pain in the a$$. I also do not have any other 2.4 radio gear in my phantom at the moment, so it wasn't an interference issue. I swapped out the antenna on the ground end for a higher gain direction panel & was able to finally get some decent range with that, but then still only maybe 1-2km. Anyone else have any problems like this with it dropping the connection? At first I thought it might have been a power setting for the usb on my laptop, but it had the same issue when powered via a battery using the BT connection and iPad GS.

Anyway, found a deal on a 900mhz unit and jumped on it. Hoping I will have better luck with it, not to mention it free's up a more usable frequency for other things. I hated having my 2.4 band tied up by the GS link.

I was having similar problems then I raised the base station antennae on a pole so its sits about 5 feet off the ground and reoriented my antennae on the bird and all is good now but most of my missions are out only 3,000 feet max.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl