9" Prop Upgrade - Configuring Gains

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my Phantom V1 to some clone Vision props, not self-tightening. I got these props from Amazon, recently listed and I believe I am the first purchaser.
Here is the link to them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA6KGBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question is has anyone experienced their drone taking off from the start after upgrading to these props? I was researching about gains and to no luck have not gathered anything about this problem. A few have said that they had the same problem but no solution was posted.

After starting my drone and giving it a little bit of throttle response it just wants to take off into the sky and will have to throttle it way down to come back down or be able to hover. I have also had experience with this in another drone, a V1.1.1 I believe, that was upgraded to real DJI Vision self-tightening props.

Do I need to adjust gains or something else entirely? Thank you!

Re: 9" Prop Upgrade - Takes Off

I have bought several versions of those props from eBay Chinese suppliers, so what I got may or may not be exactly what you got.....but......in playing around with non-DJI versions of the originals, triblades, carbon-fiber props I always found the differences to be relatively minor....and the bird basically flew the same in terms of control. That is with my V1.

When I put on the new vision clones the same thing happened, no control/adjustment problems at all.....just a longer flight time. I have since tried CF versions....did not like them and no time advantage, so.....because CF is seriously more brittle and likely to break on any form contact, have gone back to the plastic versions.

No, I had no problems with the bird taking off guring "idle" waiting to take off. Nor did I have any issues with changes in "hover". basically I have played with 5-6 prop versions and have never touched my GAINS.

Now, keep in mind, my P1 now is carrying a Tarot gimble, a GoPro 3 black, front LED headlight AND strobe, FPV transmitter, and a voltage transmitter AND I am flying either 2700 or 4000 mA batteries which are heavier that the standard 2200, so this is a seriously heavier bird than a stock, bare P1. When I take off it takes FULL throttle to get lift off. Once up and flying it will still climb pretty well but it is clearly a heavier bird.

I can't relate to what you are experiencing altho I can imagine that a very light, bare V1 just might, with the additional lift of the new props, lift off at mid-centered throttle upon start up. But....once it is flying, if in GPS mode, the throttle center position should initiate a GPS modulated hover NO MATTER the engine/prop thrust.

I am assuming you have self-centering throttle type controller (early versions were NOT...necessarily). I am also assuming you have calibrated/re-calibrated all the sticks and brains in Assistant. There IS an adjustable setting for start-up idle speed. I am also assuming you are waiting for GPS lock and are flying, at least initially, in GPS mode.

Basically, while I can imagine that my heavier bird does NOT take off with the new props at the standard, initial "idle" setting (and a light bird might)......otherwise if sticks and brains are properly calibrated and controlled....your bird's brain should adjust it's hover and flight to the added thrust. Altho my bird is now almost as heavy as a V2, and with the new props, I have not yet touched the gains settings or anything else....altho I have THOUGHT about increasing the throttle gain. I would suggest re-setting the throttle idle setting for you...but otherwise explore calibration of the sticks and brains before experimenting with changing the gains settings. The gains settings basically only make the sticks more or less sensitive to movement FROM mid-position....not re-set basic "stick-centered" settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply, it does help.

I have not re-calibrated the drone or the sticks before my quick test flight due to I did not think I had to since I have been flying with the stock 8" props perfectly fine. I may try that and test again. I do not have the self-centering throttle type controller and have performed a calibration on it recently.

I think where my problem might be is that I fly with a Walkera G-3D gimbal and on my test flight I had it off because of my previous experience with a near fly away on another drone facing the same problem.

If you do not have a self-centering throttle.........YOU NEED ONE!!! I haven't heard of any discussion re- pro/con issues around that for a year.......basicallt the life of the P1. Other than perhaps experts flying stunts and other things in MANUAL mode us motals are incapable of, I an unaware of ANY advantage of the NON version....and everyone was recommended to FIX their controller into a s-c mode. There is/was a small kit.

With a S-C throttle....HOVER is an automatic, hands-off, problem solver. Once set up correctly you just release EVERYTHING (in GPS mode) and the bird will hold its position AND altitude....regardless of wind, whatever, indefinitely. With s-c throttle, the idle power upon start-up is progrqammable and predictable. It is, in fact, "hovering" in a stable position ON THE GROUND....so no inputs of throttle, pitch, roll, etc. are called up. Once actually flying, if not getting enough (or too much) throttle....then the GPS senses altitude change (when in s-c position) it and adjusts/corrects to maintain altitude whether in hover or even when flying on inputs of pitch and roll.

Morph to a s-c throttle and I predict you would/will discover flying to be a PIECE OF CAKE no-brainer in comparison.

bobhaole said:
I have recently upgraded my Phantom V1 to some clone Vision props, not self-tightening. I got these props from Amazon, recently listed and I believe I am the first purchaser.
Here is the link to them.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA6KGBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My question is has anyone experienced their drone taking off from the start after upgrading to these props? I was researching about gains and to no luck have not gathered anything about this problem. A few have said that they had the same problem but no solution was posted.

After starting my drone and giving it a little bit of throttle response it just wants to take off into the sky and will have to throttle it way down to come back down or be able to hover. I have also had experience with this in another drone, a V1.1.1 I believe, that was upgraded to real DJI Vision self-tightening props.

Do I need to adjust gains or something else entirely? Thank you!

I think it sounds like the left stick on a SR6 transmitter. what happens if you put the 8" props back on would be my first test. the easy fix fir this is a DJ6 Transmitter which means a new receiver. But first confirm the issue by switching props back and forth.

Shot the gun and put my gimbal on with gopro hero 3 and it no longer wants to shoot off from take off.

My default gains in Naza assistant were:
125 125 100 100
100 100

I believe my test gains were:
135 135 115 115
115 115

This test I felt was ok so I decided to up gains another 10%:
145 145 125 125
125 125

Both tests had little to no wind. This test turned out to be a little better than the first but I did notice my drone hovering a little to one side in GPS mode. Although it wasn't a big deal I decided to leave it for now.

Upon wanting to film some pumpkin patch fun on a kind of windy day, I tried out my new setup. Fail. Got the drone up about 10 ft. and controls were not really responsive I believe because I felt the drone was too busy trying to compensate itself. Shortly after it dove to the ground where I had to shut off the motors just before it landed upside down. Nothing broken or damaged. Threw on my stock 8" props and everything was back to normal except a little over compensation with the new gains I had set so some jello was noticeable.

When I have the time I am going to set my gain settings back to default and try the 9" props again with those settings and keep you guys informed of my results as I guarantee there are more people wondering about gains when installing new props on a V1.

Also, I live in Hawaii so I am flying pretty close to sea level if that matters to anyone. I've seen a few threads where people take this into consideration.

hi guys am using a fc40 no mods what like are these 9443 props
on that? I bought 8 props for £12 then I read about problems with
these props loss of control and such so I dident use them as someone
sayed these are cheap chinese unbalanced junk :s

Attachments

• file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 643

toorboy said:
hi guys am using a fc40 no mods what like are these 9443 props
on that? I bought 8 props for £12 then I read about problems with
these props loss of control and such so I dident use them as someone
sayed these are cheap chinese unbalanced junk :s

I'm sure with a good balance to them and finding the gains to match them they could be very good but that could also go the opposite way and be terrible

ouch I dont think I will bother with these props then lol
what is the best prop out there for an fc40?
I did read about 9450 were ment to be the best
then on youtube theres the tri bladed prop
I know carbon fiber props are junk for the fc40
can anyone recommend me a good prop???
thanks guys

toorboy said:
ouch I dont think I will bother with these props then lol
what is the best prop out there for an fc40?
I did read about 9450 were ment to be the best
then on youtube theres the tri bladed prop
I know carbon fiber props are junk for the fc40
can anyone recommend me a good prop???
thanks guys

I would keep researching. There are probably lots of info that you haven't come across yet. As for me, I have researched many different props and finally decided to just try the stock 9" props but clone versions for my V1 as a reference and maybe to build on top of that later. Try out those props though and see how you like them. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20