9 inch props for Phantom question

Reaction score
After I ordered my Phantom I went accessory shopping on eBay. (Phantom is in a DHL plane now)

It supposed to be the latest version with the white/black self fastening prop screws etc.

Read something about needing balanced props, so I ordered a few of those.

They already have arrived, can't check if they are really balanced, but anyway. They are 9 inch.

Does anyone have experience with those props? ( see attached pic)

What gains are advised for this type?

Sent from my SM-T311 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386851305402.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386851305402.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,764
Re: 9 inch props for Phantom question

Personally, I'd have gone with the props for a Phantom Vision. They seem to be the best 9" props around and fit straight on.

You will need some prop nuts for those ones you've ordered. If your Phantom comes with the self-tightening props it won't come with nuts. You'll need 2 x normal and 2 x left-handed. No idea where to buy them though.

Ok, thanks. Was planning for the Vision Props.

Seems like i will have a lot of props for sale soon :) No nuts :(

I had to balance my carbon fiber props that came- and I wish I could post a report on any improvements or changes, but between sub zero temps and winds, I cannot get a flight in to see.

As for the balancing- I invested in a dubro prop balancer based on some feedback here and other places and I am extremely glad I took heed- this gadget is tits on a ritz! The props came and not a single one was balanced- not even close- once they were leveled out and installed on the Phantom, I could immediately tell a HUGE difference from the original props from sound, smoothness on motor startup, and a few blips of the throttle tells me that they are humming along in rare form- I expect more torque (stiffer blade material and no flex) and a much more vibration free image from my gopro. Get a prop balancer- and if you go with the integrated nut props from DJI, then there is only 1 or 2 balancers that may work to do those types- dubro is one and there is a nice thread here that shows how. (forget where it is though)

Surprise.

I received a Phantom v 1.2 and it comes with self tightening prop screws. (Black and White) But also with notches below the thread?

Even found myself a balancer, balanced the 9"" carbon props, and my DJI props.

The 9"" carbon props don't seem to offer beneficial properties over the standard props. It seems as if the standard props even give a bit more fly-time.

Next step is of-course the Vision 9"" props, but I wonder if they fit. Even though I have self-tightening nuts, the shaft also has notches. Would the Vision props fit there? My guess is yes, because the vision props don't have the notches inside, so there would only be some empty space....., but if someone could enlighten me :?

Did someone find carbon Vision type props that are better than the standard vision props?

Ton4 said:
Did someone find carbon Vision type props that are better than the standard vision props?

No idea if they're "better" but I got carbon fiber vision-style 9" props off ebay. I don't have the self-tightening motor threads so I got the unthreaded variety.

8XVlMx4.jpg

I get 2-3 minutes more flight time, but that's on dual batteries so the increase definitely is not as great as some are reporting here on single batteries with real Vision props. I've never tried real Vision props because my Phantom won't fit them.

These are a bit lighter than real Vision props.

If you have a pretty bare, stock bird....the advantages over OEM props will not be very substantial. The stock ones work pretty well....though should still be balanced.

It is when you start loading the bird down with gimbal+camera+FPV TX, etc., etc. that the stock props lose their efficiency and the advantages of the larger props start to separate themselves. There is no such thing as "pre-balanced" props...in my experience. They ALL need balancing once they arrive. Clearly the airflight from China UNbalances them.

Still stockish. Tomorrow fpv fitting, waiting for the gimbal. Will find me some vision props....

Final setup will be 600mw Fatshark, 2 batteries and 3 axis gimbal. With the vision props I hope for 6-7 minutes fly time....

rilot said:
Personally, I'd have gone with the props for a Phantom Vision. They seem to be the best 9" props around and fit straight on.

You will need some prop nuts for those ones you've ordered. If your Phantom comes with the self-tightening props it won't come with nuts. You'll need 2 x normal and 2 x left-handed. No idea where to buy them though.

i bought my phantom ver.1 2 weeks ago-came with self tightening props and the nuts as well.

nwillitts said:
i bought my phantom ver.1 2 weeks ago-came with self tightening props and the nuts as well.

Interesting. Nice that they are putting the nuts in the box so you can use whatever props you like.

Well, my v 1.2 had ordinary props with B&W self tightening nuts.

Anyways, heard there is a version 1.2.1 as well. No nuts, self tightening props, dual antenna (futuba receiver) , tilt lever installed. Similar to v 1.1.1 except for the props.

Ton4 said:
Still stockish. Tomorrow fpv fitting, waiting for the gimbal. Will find me some vision props....

Final setup will be 600mw Fatshark, 2 batteries and 3 axis gimbal. With the vision props I hope for 6-7 minutes fly time....

That's gonna be a heavy bird, I'd be more worried about how well it will fly than how much flight time you'll see. Between dual batteries and the 3-axis, you may be looking at ~800g, which is heavier than the Phantom!

I would only caution that instant, hurried loading of the bird with all the bells and whistles, done in a hurry and without careful consideration and research as to WEIGHT SAVINGS in the components generally leads to a heavily over-weighted bird with terrible flight times and poor flying characteristics....driving one to double batteries......which improves the flight time but worsens the flying characteristics. Those who fly double batteries are in the minority. Many more have tried them and opted to put their bird on a diet and go back to a single battery.

Weight savings are available all along the line....in the gimbal (Zen-muse MUCH lighter than all alternatives among 2D stabilized gimbals, smaller FPX TX's, H3 Black as sole FPV source (if doing video) OR MUCH LIGHTER non-recording alternatives...etc., landing gear extensions LIGHTER than stock, etc..

Your path has been plowed many times....with a wide range of satisfaction and dissatisfaction with the various results. My recommendation is find someone experienced on the forum here who seems to be using their bird about the way you want to use yours and then emulate their setup. Haste makes waste. Ask me how I know.

Ton4 said:
People seem to fly this, afaik...

Yep, I've seen them; they're really pushing the limits of the frame, but no denying it's physically possible. Just make sure you know what you're getting into if you're pushing 1400-1500g.

Thanks for your advice.....

I will go slow, I now fly with a non gimbal mobius, second will be a simple 2 axis gimbal with the mobius.... And then experiment a bit, and see whats available when I am ready to step up. 3 axis will be needed, don't like the yaw jitter. But maybe I need a larger copter. Will see...

I got a 1.1.1 it came with no nuts just 8 self/tight props . It is label 1.1.1 I have not opened it up yet waiting on PMU V2 to install the gimbal . After crashing a few times with the 8" props (broke) I ordered the 9" they are more like 9 1/4" over all . But I like them a lot better she handles a little better and has better lift . I will stay with the 9" .

ElGuano said:
No idea if they're "better" but I got carbon fiber vision-style 9" props off ebay. I don't have the self-tightening motor threads so I got the unthreaded variety.

How about a link? Please? Do they have the proper notch for the motor shaft?

My v1.1.1 (with self tightening props) came with the black and silver nuts- I am impressed with my basic 9" carbon ebay props over the stock 8" though- my flight times are only shortened by about a minute, but I actually chalk that up to having more extreme flights now as I have found some comfort levels in piloting. I have much more responsive lift with the gimbal and camera, and the 2 battery tests will be done on Sunday to see how it responds. I sense a need for more lift, and those carbon vision deals there look like the ticket. I want to try the tri-blades, but am waiting to see how to balance them- no tutorials yet that i have seen.

Hiway said:
How about a link? Please? Do they have the proper notch for the motor shaft?

My v1.1.1 (with self tightening props) came with the black and silver nuts- I am impressed with my basic 9" carbon ebay props over the stock 8" though- my flight times are only shortened by about a minute, but I actually chalk that up to having more extreme flights now as I have found some comfort levels in piloting. I have much more responsive lift with the gimbal and camera, and the 2 battery tests will be done on Sunday to see how it responds. I sense a need for more lift, and those carbon vision deals there look like the ticket. I want to try the tri-blades, but am waiting to see how to balance them- no tutorials yet that i have seen.

I got these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261340030834

They are notched (keyed) properly for the Phantom's motors. As with any props I've had, they've needed balancing (both blades and hubs) before they behave well.

Weight is 28g for the set (not including prop nuts).

Oy9C2CF.jpg

Ton4 said:
After I ordered my Phantom I went accessory shopping on eBay. (Phantom is in a DHL plane now)

It supposed to be the latest version with the white/black self fastening prop screws etc.

Read something about needing balanced props, so I ordered a few of those.

They already have arrived, can't check if they are really balanced, but anyway. They are 9 inch.

Does anyone have experience with those props? ( see attached pic)

What gains are advised for this type?

I wouldn't go with the Carbon fiber. a hobby store in Tempe Arizona did a test with them and they determined that the carbon fiber props are way to stiff. what happens is that the carbon fiber is so hard that if the prop is not balanced properly from production, the vibrations will effect the way the quad flies and the way your video (if you plan to take any with your quad) turns out and the worst part, they are a bit noisy. other guys have tried them and they swear by them, but others beg to differ. The Vision props are the way to go. they are by far the best fit (for obvious reasons) and you better believe your lift will be strong, not to mention much easier to maneuver the quad. this evening I just installed mine and talk about a blast! LITERALLY! once I started my phantom up, the prop wash was extremely stronger than with the original props, so it would be a pretty good idea to get your phantom at least 5 feet off the ground to be on the safe side to avoid losing control due to the prop wash. So, The DJI Phantom Vision props would be the best bet if you're looking to upgrade the props.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik