9.2 km (5.8 miles) flight ! Yeaaaahhh!

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just completed my 9.2 km flight (4.6km going and 4.6 km coming back)

Stock Phantom 2 with stock receiver.

Coming back was difficult, lots of wind, just made it. Landed with 3% battery.... :D

Some pics, sorry for quality, took them with cell phone.

I guess thats the maximum range of the Phantom 2....

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    546 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 1,068
Rest of pics

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    429.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 1,002
Fanti said:
Hi Guys, just completed my 9.2 km flight (4.6km going and 4.6 km coming back)

Stock Phantom 2 with stock receiver.

Coming back was difficult, lots of wind, just made it. Landed with 3% battery.... :D

Some pics, sorry for quality, took them with cell phone.

I guess thats the maximum range of the Phantom 2....

Brilliant!
Please take pics of your setup.
DId you record the flight?
Was it stock controller ??

Well done! I think thats good enough to make the leaderboard (we don't have one but really should). 5,000m is the best I've seen here so far. That would be the distance shown in the OSD not including return trip or height. Be careful with flying to 3%. It is bad for your battery. And best to fly upwind first so you know you can get back!

I haven't seen the 5000m. Where is it pls ?

I know 3% is bad, and it wasn't the goal, but the wind suddenly picked up...next time I plan more carefully :)

Fanti said:
Uuups, sorry, I meant stock controller.

Here's a 11.8km (6.4 mile) round trip I made 3 days ago :lol:

Attachments

• long distance.jpg
    long distance.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 1,046
Fanti said:
6.4 miles is 10.3 km...

With Gimbal, GoPro, FPV ?

Oops!,your right. Must have been wishful thinking !!

Gimbal, Gopro, Flytrex logger, IRC600mW TX and mount.

I just checked, I had typed 6.4 NAUTICAL miles into the converter by mistake. :oops:

With what % battery did you land ??

Can you measure the straight distance from your starting point to the furthest you went pls ?

Fanti said:
With what % battery did you land ??

Can you measure the straight distance from your starting point to the furthest you went pls ?

Dont need to measure anything, thats why I have the Flytrex logger attached to my Phantom. It measures everything for you.
Where it says "maximum distance" is where the quad is furthest away from your controller. The "travel distance" is the total distance from takeoff to landing. I arrived home with 15% battery.

Heres the flight:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IjID4oNkoE[/youtube]

Sorry, I didnt see that.

So I went a bit further than you... :D

Is it difficult to install the flytrex ?

Fanti said:
Nice flight btw.

Stock controller ?

Yeah, stock controller, for now !!

Fanti said:

I know 3% is bad, and it wasn't the goal, but the wind suddenly picked up...next time I plan more carefully :)

GOD! I thought you did 9.2km one way by your title. I am not surprised and I am not trying to lie. I have done 5-6km many times. check my post here, I have 5km on youtube. believe me or not I just did 6km last week in a very nice day. I got back with about 20% battery left. use atti mode to boost your speed there and back 17-20m/s is achievable. my experience tells me that the weather has stronge impact with your range and video. my last flight in foggy day only got 2000m with many fail safe and video loss.
your diversity monitor shouldn't give your that kind of range even with very good helical antenna. you must use separate receiver.

leekawey said:
Fanti said:

GOD! I thought you did 9.2km one way by your title. I am not surprised and I am not trying to lie. I have done 5-6km many times. check my post here, I have 5km on youtube. believe me or not I just did 6km last week in a very nice day. I got back with about 20% battery left. use atti mode to boost your speed there and back 17-20m/s is achievable. my experience tells me that the weather has stronge impact with your range and video. my last flight in foggy day only got 2000m with many fail safe and video loss.
your diversity monitor shouldn't give your that kind of range even with very good helical antenna. you must use separate receiver.

LOL, Thats what I thought when I first read the title :shock:

Using ATTI mode that far away, isn't it a bit risky ? If failsafe occurs far out (because of loosing RC connection for example), it won't come back ?!?

Fanti said:
Using ATTI mode that far away, isn't it a bit risky ? If failsafe occurs far out (because of loosing RC connection for example), it won't come back ?!?
It will still come back u will just regain control when signal returns in atti

Are you sure about that? 100%? According to the manual, in atti mode it will try to land wherever it is at that moment.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj