8 vs 10 pin battery charger

Reaction score
I ordered a car charger for my p4p and when I received it, it only had 8 pins. I went back to the Amazon site and they showed 8 pins in their pictures so they technically sent me what I bought. I didn't think much of the picture until I held it next to my regular charger. They assured me it would work and not damage my battery.
Question: has anyone used an 8 pin before? Has it damaged your battery?

edb985285767b240d2ca189416052529.jpg

8cc0c40eb0c3e2d8e738ea0a6cadbf47.jpg

From my understanding, the outside two pins are SDA and SCL communication lines used by the drone to talk to the battery. The charger itself doesn't use these lines. If you look at the charger brick labeling on the DJI supplied charger, the outside two pins are shown as N/C.
Maybe they thought a 8 pin adapter would save them some money seeing as how they aren't used. If you wanted to be extra safe, you could verify the output voltage with a DMM if you were worried about its cheapness. Or see how it compares with the stock charger.

I wish DJI made the battery communicate with the charger to have a more standard Smart Battery System. But nope. They put more of the smarts in the battery, and made the charger nothing other than a voltage source with a current limit.

Thank you. I have still not tried it yet, but I guess I'll try soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31