8 flights, P3A, cracked shell

Reaction score
A small crack formed on my nearly new P3. It only had 8 flights, no crashes. DJI sent me a shipping label and an RMA for warranty repair. I didn't think it would happen to me but it has.

I am on my second RMA now, honestly I feel most people get them, and they just dont look close enough, you have to REALLY look to see them.

I'm sending my P3a back in this will be the 3rd time, first was bad motor, second cracked upper shell and now cracked lower shell. I'm waiting on an answer from DJI. I see that DJI had changed their handling. first 2 times i was able to get a RMA & shipping label from the service chat on line. now they want you to contact by way of email or phone the customer service in California I think. Ok then why even have a chat area for service on their web site? When they can't do anything but hold your hand...I was giving them high marks for service before and now their back to substandard.

I am on my second RMA now, honestly I feel most people get them, and they just dont look close enough, you have to REALLY look to see them.

Wow. How long will DJI honor a warranty on cracked shells?

I'm sending my P3a back in this will be the 3rd time, first was bad motor, second cracked upper shell and now cracked lower shell. I'm waiting on an answer from DJI. I see that DJI had changed their handling. first 2 times i was able to get a RMA & shipping label from the service chat on line. now they want you to contact by way of email or phone the customer service in California I think. Ok then why even have a chat area for service on their web site? When they can't do anything but hold your hand...I was giving them high marks for service before and now their back to substandard.

I used email. They progressed me through the process, it took several emails. They asked who I purchased from, proof of purchase, what happened when I noticed the crack (nothing, just routine post-flight inspection) and I had to send them a picture of the crack.

I used email. They progressed me through the process, it took several emails. They asked who I purchased from, proof of purchase, what happened when I noticed the crack (nothing, just routine post-flight inspection) and I had to send them a picture of the crack.
Yea this being my 3 time I had it down. first email copy of what was chatted on line and a copy of sales rec. and pictures of cracks.

I just don't umderstand why DJI does not FIX this issue!

Crack analysis is a mature science and most cracking happens in the same area's. So it's difficult for me to believe they don't know why it is happening!
As the issue wasn't resolved with the P4 I'm leaning towards a problem with manufacturing process. Again what are they doing to resolve! Nothing, just silence from DJI.

In the final analysis everything comes down to money. So it appears to me it's cheaper for them to repair them, and don't feel the issue will impact them in a material way!

Crack analysis is a mature science and most cracking happens in the same area's. So it's difficult for me to believe they don't know why it is happening!
As the issue wasn't resolved with the P4 I'm leaning towards a problem with manufacturing process. Again what are they doing to resolve! Nothing, just silence from DJI.

In the final analysis everything comes down to money. So it appears to me it's cheaper for them to repair them, and don't feel the issue will impact them in a material way!
Special if you can't get a hold of them to get it repaired.

on the phone with DJI and i am getting somewhere. they sending label to me. So skip everything else and just call them.

There is a lot of speculation why it occurs, but I'd just conclude the shell design is marginal from a stress and strain perspective and torque tightening of screws are not quality controlled.

Reactions: ShivarenoP3
My names Lifted Chevy and I'm a member of the cracked shell club now. I found a crack in the lower during a preflight. This is really sad it cost a thousand bucks and two months later it's cracking.

My names Lifted Chevy and I'm a member of the cracked shell club now. I found a crack in the lower during a preflight. This is really sad it cost a thousand bucks and two months later it's cracking.
Welcome Chevy, for me it was 4 months before I found a crack then I was crack free for four month and had a relapse with this past week having found 2 cracks. The drone is off to rehab in California to be decracked:(. Lucky for me I have a P2v+ as a backup. :cool:

Reactions: Kima kim
Welcome Chevy, for me it was 4 months before I found a crack then I was crack free for four month and had a relapse with this past week having found 2 cracks. The drone is off to rehab in California to be decracked:(. Lucky for me I have a P2v+ as a backup. :cool:

In addition to the cracked P3A, I have a P3P - it is a year old with over 40 flights, still working great like new (knock on wood). I wish the shell were made of a reliable material such as fiberglass or carbon fiber, but if that were the case, some may never buy another drone like people buy phones every year or two. My P3A was shipped to Carson CA yesterday. It will be interesting to see how it goes, and how quickly it is repaired.

I'm in Los Angeles so hopefully they fix it kinda quick. I can drop it off so no shipping. I was checking every flight and now I know why I was paranoid.

I just spoke with DJI and they are sending me a RMA for shipping. They won't let me drop it off in Carson CA. I hope she's off the crack when it comes back lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub