8-Bit (jittery, Wreck It Ralph) Cloud Shadows on UHD Footage

Reaction score
So... as the title spells out in crystal clear detail, i have some footage that was captured earlier this year and just getting around to editing it for the client.

Take a look at the link and see what I mean. Look close at the cloud shadows rolling across the field. They are jittery... like 8bit jittery. But everything else is smooth.

Shot with ND32 at ISO 100 - 30FPS at UHD. Have you seen this before? Is it the anti-flicker? or Do you think the cloud speed is just right to match up with 30fps...?

Any ideas are helpful. Can't seem to get it out in POST either. It's not rolling shutter, or the normal things you can fix.

Maybe your theories are correct.

First of all I watched the vid directly on YouTube and it looked awful - as you say, jittery-ness not only with the clouds but also with stuttering of frames too. So I downloaded the vid from YouTube in 1440p and played it with Potplayer.

A lot better of course - but I can still see what you mean by problems with the clouds. However, the sun looks to be very bright and the clouds look to be quite thin and moving fast.

Just my idea which may be incorrect: Maybe it's just an illusion/problem caused by the the three things mentioned along with, in many places, the undulation of the landscape? You're unlikely to get strong sharp edges or form to cloud shadows which will move clearly across the landscape when the clouds are wispy, thin and constantly changing. Look at the shadows of the trees - they're quite nicely defined because the trees are more solid and static.

Uploaded to YT is direct RAW file from P4. Kinda in with Steve on this, it was high altitude 4,000, clouds were thin and moving VERY fast that day and sun was bright.

As stated in op, 30fps
Usually when discussing video, 30FPS stands for the frame rate 30 Frames per second. If this was his shutter speed ie 1/30 second the shutter was way too slow since the standard shutter speed for video where the shooter wants natural motion blur would be (30 frames per second - Shutter speed 1/60 second). ( 24 Frames per second shutter speed 1/48 second). excreta.

Usually when discussing video, 30FPS stands for the frame rate 30 Frames per second. If this was his shutter speed ie 1/30 second the shutter was way too slow since the standard shutter speed for video where the shooter wants natural motion blur would be (30 frames per second - Shutter speed 1/60 second). ( 24 Frames per second shutter speed 1/48 second). excreta.
OMG Master Ansil... It was set to 1/30 shutter speed. Do you think I would post this if I had a supper high shutter speed? Obviously that would create issues. I already deleted the video because nobody was offering any help (kinda like you).

Will chock it up to what myself and the first guy was saying. Just a combination of cloud speed etc.

OMG Master Ansil... It was set to 1/30 shutter speed. Do you think I would post this if I had a supper high shutter speed? Obviously that would create issues. I already deleted the video because nobody was offering any help (kinda like you).

Will chock it up to what myself and the first guy was saying. Just a combination of cloud speed etc.
Sorry you feel that way, the rule of thumb is that the shutter speed should be set to the reciprocal of twice the frame rate. Some shoot at a higher shutter speed for fast action sports. I have no Idea what will happen if one shoots a frame rate that is equal to the shutter speed. Perhaps you have found out.

Sorry you feel that way, the rule of thumb is that the shutter speed should be set to the reciprocal of twice the frame rate. Some shoot at a higher shutter speed for fast action sports. I have no Idea what will happen if one shoots a frame rate that is equal to the shutter speed. Perhaps you have found out.
That is from the ground... You never shoot at double from the air because of a little thing called rotor induced oscillations (or jello effect) where the shutterspeed matches the oscillation frequency.

I'm always ready to learn something new however I cannot find any reference to using a shutter speed less than the 180 degree shutter angle rule. Can you provide data recommending setting the shutter speed =to the frame rate?. I would think using a shutter=FR would cause a strobe effect. Also the rolling shutter or Jello effect you mentioned is caused by fast camera movement ie whip pan and based on this I would imagine that a rolling shutter (jello) would be exacerbated by a slow shutter speed.

Don't ya ever wish you hadn't joined the dots between two threads?..... :eek:.... Boys, boys..... I hope we're all here to help each other and respect others views, not to compete... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl