8/28/2016 NOT A GOOD DAY TO FLY.

Reaction score
I am a license amateur radio operator and a web site I check almost daily is www.spaceweather.com. Not only for radio propagation but if the is a geomagnetic storm predicted for the day. Even G1's can wreak havoc on your drone operations, it cuts down on wifi, and gps stability.

SOLAR SECTOR BOUNDARY CROSSING:
On Aug. 28th, Earth will cross a fold in the heliospheric current sheet. This "solar sector boundary crossing" could disturb our planet's magnetic field and spark auroras at high latitudes. NOAA forecasters estimate a 25% to 30% chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms.

Nothing Wrong with my wifi or GPS today. I see the Kp index on UAV forecast is occasionally high and recommending don't fly. I ignore it. Never an issue yet.

As a side note, uavforecast is predicting rosy conditions regarding the kp index, not that anybody ever pays attention to it.

UAV Forecast

I guess tomorrow will be a good test on the validity of the geomagnetic storm forecast and its potential to wreak havoc. My bird will be in the air in the morning so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for posting.

As a side note, uavforecast is predicting rosy conditions regarding the kp index, not that anybody ever pays attention to it.

UAV Forecast

I guess tomorrow will be a good test on the validity of the geomagnetic storm forecast and its potential to wreak havoc. My bird will be in the air in the morning so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for posting.
I have never been stuck at the boarding gate while an airline pilot waited for a drop in Kp index. That includes occasions when UAV forecast predicted high numbers.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks for the linkage, also a ham op, but the oldtimers around here dont care to much for them new fangled webbie site thingies. LOL
10-4. We use 440 freq for our beacon on board, if problem, we can find our drones quickly.

AC8V

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jerry Shadrick
Well the sky isn't falling so throw some salt over you shoulder and go out an fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Shadrick
Come to think about it maybe that's why my magnetic shoes seem to be a little funky today.

Also a HAM for decades - never consulted an index for flying my Phantoms or any other craft.
I have to chuckle when I read posts about other machines when folks "warn" others they shouldn't fly or that the index was the cause of their crashes.

Sure - it's possible in theory. But, in reality, the dual GPS and other instruments on the modern P3 and P4 make this a lower probability event.

I'd be more worried about a pilot who drank the night before or was distracted by something else.

Also a HAM for decades - never consulted an index for flying my Phantoms or any other craft.
I have to chuckle when I read posts about other machines when folks "warn" others they shouldn't fly or that the index was the cause of their crashes.

Sure - it's possible in theory. But, in reality, the dual GPS and other instruments on the modern P3 and P4 make this a lower probability event.

I'd be more worried about a pilot who drank the night before or was distracted by something else.
I don't think it is an issue like it used to be but it definitely caused some issues on my P2, FPV and iOSD reporting height and distance on a problematic flight. I landed without incident.

KC9WNZ - Ham Operator, as well. If you are flying your drone when Great Leader Kim pops his EMP over the USA, then safely flying your drone is the very least of your problems ........... (or his) ! LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic