7th channel tilt lever confussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
OK, I've been reading now for a while about the experiences with the new firmware and the 7th channel tilt function.

First of all I have to mention that there are lots of people here not realizing that the tilt function always worked outside the DJI app, that is if you did not start the app. As soon as you did the gimbal would only tilt from the commands from the app. So I find it kinda surprising to see posts like those:

Fourblade said:
Strangely enough I've just installed the pitch lever on my stock P2V+ TX and it works fine with the new firmware 3.08 .... until you run the DJI App and then it stops working... nothing nada zip - so frustrating !!!!

That is the same behavior you had on the old firmware! You just didn't try it!

Now to actually make it work in the new firmware you have to go into the DJI Assistant software on you computer and select "Upgraded Version" instead of "Basic Version" for transmitter. DJI messed here up a bit because they placed an illustration for the "Basic Version" that shows the old transmitter with the tilt lever on the back side suggesting that it should work if you leave it selected as "Basic Version". But it doesn't.

After you do that it works, but people are wondering why does it only tilt a small amount. Well, the problem is in the lever design. For some reason(unknown to me) all the tilt levers that I saw have a plastic limiting plate. Probably so that the tilt lever does not hit the parts of the transmitter on the back. However that plate physically limits the use of full range of the 7th channel knob inside the transmitter. You can test that by simply using a screwdriver(like you did when you switched from CE to FCC).
Since those levers where used until now mostly by people owning Phantom 2 non vision with a Zenmuse h3-3d gimbal it did not matter since it had the option to calibrate the 7th channel to use only the available range. That is what I see that people are trying to achieve now through those hacks with downgrading and what not, cheat the Phantom into thinking it has a Zenmuse gimbal and calibrate it that way.

I'm hoping that either DJI will fix this in an upgrade soon and allow calibration or that someone is going to start producing levers that take advantage of the full range.
My question for others is, is there any other reason why current levers have those limiting plates, beside purely for not hitting the battery compartment on one side and the hand grip on the other? Why couldn't the lever be made to move above all that and have full range?

I was able to calibrate the original DJI phantom 2 lever to get the full range. However in the app when selecting the upgraded controler, the tilt is not linear, it will move up or down until you re-center the lever.

DaveMoi said:
I was able to calibrate the original DJI phantom 2 lever to get the full range. However in the app when selecting the upgraded controler, the tilt is not linear, it will move up or down until you re-center the lever.

Hmm I'm clueless. I wrote my post above just by reading experiences from others and making conclusions. I still have to test it for myself, but I'm currently traveling and don't have my Phantom with me. :-/

Are you able to control the speed of the tilt that way? In the center it does not tilt, but if you move just a tiny bit up or down does it tilt slowly? And faster if you push more?
That might indicate how DJI new wheel control is working

Just to clarify... I have the old remote with the traditional 7th channel lever on the back.

They both work differently.

The upgrade version works like the gyro mode on the app. It travels on a rate of the position of the lever. So to stop the movement of the camera, you must centre it again.
Where as the basic version is based on the position of the lever. If you leave in centre, it will look 45 degrees. If you max up, it will look up, and if you max down, it will look down.

I havent flown yet, but theoretically, you would want the upgrade mode as this will give a controlled rate of travel when filming..
It's much hard i think to move the lever gradually up whilst flying..
Make sense???

I do like that DJI has provided both variants.

Mako79 said:
I havent flown yet, but theoretically, you would want the upgrade mode as this will give a controlled rate of travel when filming..
It's much hard i think to move the lever gradually up whilst flying..
Make sense???

It does! And I would also prefer it like so(the upgraded mode). So did you test both modes on an old remote?
Why are then people reporting they can't achieve full range even after selecting the upgraded mode. Because if the lever can be used as described, to actually select the speed of the tilt and not the position, then even just with a small lever movement one could reach full tilt range up or down. I'm really trying to figure this out before I come home and can test it on my own...

Nathan Carter said:
OK, I've been reading now for a while about the experiences with the new firmware and the 7th channel tilt function.

First of all I have to mention that there are lots of people here not realizing that the tilt function always worked outside the DJI app, that is if you did not start the app. As soon as you did the gimbal would only tilt from the commands from the app. So I find it kinda surprising to see posts like those:

Fourblade said:
Strangely enough I've just installed the pitch lever on my stock P2V+ TX and it works fine with the new firmware 3.08 .... until you run the DJI App and then it stops working... nothing nada zip - so frustrating !!!!

That is the same behavior you had on the old firmware! You just didn't try it!

Now to actually make it work in the new firmware you have to go into the DJI Assistant software on you computer and select "Upgraded Version" instead of "Basic Version" for transmitter. DJI messed here up a bit because they placed an illustration for the "Basic Version" that shows the old transmitter with the tilt lever on the back side suggesting that it should work if you leave it selected as "Basic Version". But it doesn't.

After you do that it works....

Yes I have to admit I never tried the lever with the old firmware (don't know why) but anyway today I have tried as you and others have suggested to select the "upgrade version" and that, for me, stops all tilt function from working - either lever or app... until I change it back to "basic" when the apps' on screen tilt starts functioning again??

Fourblade said:
Yes I have to admit I never tried the lever with the old firmware (don't know why) but anyway today I have tried as you and others have suggested to select the "upgrade version" and that, for me, stops all tilt function from working - either lever or app... until I change it back to "basic" when the apps' on screen tilt starts functioning again??

You have updated everything? Firmware and the app on the phone? Also one note about the behavior from the old firmware, once you start the app the tilt lever(7th channel) would be permanently disabled, even if you turn off the app afterwards. It would stay disabled until you would turn off you phantom and turn it on back again. I'm telling you this so you can test if your experience now is similar to that behavior which would maybe indicate that you did not update everything.

Nathan Carter said:
Fourblade said:

You have updated everything? Firmware and the app on the phone? Also one note about the behavior from the old firmware, once you start the app the tilt lever(7th channel) would be permanently disabled, even if you turn off the app afterwards. It would stay disabled until you would turn off you phantom and turn it on back again. I'm telling you this so you can test if your experience now is similar to that behavior which would maybe indicate that you did not update everything.

Hmm I'll check through everything again just to be certain but as you can see all firmwares are up to date and the iPhone app is freshly upgraded too..

Attachments

• Assistant1.png
    Assistant1.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 545
Fourblade said:
Hmm I'll check through everything again just to be certain but as you can see all firmwares are up to date and the iPhone app is freshly upgraded too..

Yup seems good. You might maybe try this suggestion from the other thread:

DaveMoi said:
I had the same problem until I updated the Zen IMU to V 1.0.0.6

Just check on the upgrade tab in the app to makes sure that you have this version (and even if you do, just click on the "latest version" link in blue to force the update again)

So basically try to repeat the update for Zen IMU by clicking the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers