OI Photography said:
No, the puck is pointed properly, the rest of your airframe is crooked :D

Also, your rails look kind of short, could you not find any longer than that?

Heh, OI is punchy tonight!

Opwan, you're only the second person I've seen so far who has attached t-style flat props directly to the 12mm distance M3 bolts, with no prop washer. Any reason for that? Most motors come with the prop washer and you generally want to have the force distributed as widely/evenly as possible on your blades.

The Tarot is a great, bulletproof 2-axis gimbal. It's heavier than a Zenmuse but on a 650, the H3-2D's need for a GCU makes that a wash. My tarot is still my main camera gimbal.

Opwan said:
ElGuano said:
OI Photography said:
No, the puck is pointed properly, the rest of your airframe is crooked :D

Also, your rails look kind of short, could you not find any longer than that?

Heh, OI is punchy tonight!

Opwan, you're only the second person I've seen so far who has attached t-style flat props directly to the 12mm distance M3 bolts, with no prop washer. Any reason for that? Most motors come with the prop washer and you generally want to have the force distributed as widely/evenly as possible on your blades.

The Tarot is a great, bulletproof 2-axis gimbal. It's heavier than a Zenmuse but on a 650, the H3-2D's need for a GCU makes that a wash. My tarot is still my main camera gimbal.
We'll the dummies sent screws too short to go through the washers, I'll have to buy some longer ones, I have seen people run em without the washer but I won't be one of them!

Huh. Same with the 12mm screws for my folding props. They're just a bit short. I remedied that by buying a ton of various M3 x 0.5 screws - 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 16mm so I don't have that problem. If you have a motor kit, you could try using the M3 x 8mm screws for mounting the motors.

Great job, looks like you've got yourself a successful build!

As an update to the screw length issue, I just replaced the 12mm screws with 16mm, after dremeling off 1.5mm off the ends of each so that fewer exposed threads
remained.

Here's 16mm on the right, with the standard 12mm on the left (the 12mm doesn't reach the end of the nylock nut):
MD43NnB.jpg

After taking a bit off the 16mm, the length is just about perfect.

Opwan said:
33 minutes to the first level warning! Just what I was shooting for! Stable as all get out! Can you tell I'm ecstatic? :D One question though, when I go into forward flight it seems to lose a little altitude, is that normal? Can that be fixed in the gain settings?

30+min, nicely done! I'm getting a couple of 8k mah batteries in next week, will see what that buys on the hex. I'm aiming for ~15 minutes loaded with a gimbal/camera.

Opwan said:
ElGuano said:
Opwan said:
Looks good, is that a DJI S800 you have?

Nothing that cool! It's a franken-F550 with E600.

NpWqWwO.jpg
That's a cool looking machine! I would like to maybe some day build a stacked motor design like that. How do you like the folding props I almost put them on mine?

The folding props are great. They're pretty well balanced as far as I can tell, but honestly, I can't tell. Just a tiny turn (like an arcsecond) completely flips the balance around. Pretty sure I'll need to use the laser/vibration app method to balance the motor/prop combos dynamically.

They're SUPER quiet in flight, like whisper quiet compared to a Phantom.

Laser balancing:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqtUSSdf8b4[/youtube]

Vibration app balancing (same principle):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RItntpZZH4g[/youtube]

With folding props, you have to let the motors extend the props to where they will be during flight, and balance as-is (dynamically).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj