60fps? Not?

"i" versus "p" does not change the dimensions (1920x1080 or 1280x720) of the video being recorded, they describe the depth of video data.

I thought I had replied, but guess it didn't make it thru.

But as they say, the Vision only does 60i (not 60p), . which is ok for viewing on televisions (that's what many broadcasters broadcast at ).

However, when a movie is recorded at 60i, when viewed on a TV, it will appear 60fps.
but when viewed on a computer, it's playback rate and info will actually be 30 interlaced frames a sec. -not ideal for uploading to youtube.

Another note-

60i does not provide the opportunity to grab a frame and turn it into a picture as the image is always in transition- whereas in 60p you can take any single frame and use it as a picture.

You do not want to mix fps when editing footage as it wreaks havoc. I learned that the hard way- wow- the lost video shots that were never used. :roll:

So do you recommend avoiding 60i ?

Sledge said:
The usual reason for shooting 60fps is to slow it down to 30 or 24 fps for a slow-motion effect. If that's what you want, you're probably best to shoot 720p60 and avoid interlaced artifacts.

jimre said:
Sledge said:
The usual reason for shooting 60fps is to slow it down to 30 or 24 fps for a slow-motion effect. If that's what you want, you're probably best to shoot 720p60 and avoid interlaced artifacts.

Precisely- although I tend to shoot at 60fps with a #3 ND filter at 1080p and crop. I don't go to 24fps on final edit though as my editor doesn't play well with that, instead I prefer 30fps.

I am very new to this specific niche, but I have a long history in graphics so I am kind of poking my way laterally through all this minutiae.

I can pull stills during edit- and progressive scan allows me to do that. For pure, absolute smooth and jello free shots (all mounting and gimbal gear aside) interlaced, or 60i offers a much more superior slow motion effect and if it is bright sunlight, a natural density filter will help smooth things out and make it look more pro.

Amateurs like me need all the crutches I can find since I never properly learned photography and editing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj