600mw?

Reaction score
Would I be better off with a 600mw vtx on a phantom 2 or a 250mw vtx? I'd like to have the ability/option to fly near the 1km range which is stock range for the phantom 2 controller.

I would say 250mw is enough for the stock range of the P2, with a good helical you should get 1km+ with a 250mw tx.

I have a 600mw and have no problem with the video at 2km. I also have no problem controlling the P2 at that range with the stock controller. Based on my experience people tend to underestimate the altitude you have to fly at to maintain line of sight with your quad in order the radio can still control it (as well as maintaining a decent video feed). This is especially true if you have a tree line to contend with.

I suggest that once the quad is far enough away you can barely see it that you turn it around every so often to make sure it can see where you are at. When I fly from my house I look for the retention pond right behind me. If I can't see that I need to goose up the altitude for both FPV video and for the controller radio to be able to get to the quad.

jondrew said:
I have a 600mw and have no problem with the video at 2km. I also have no problem controlling the P2 at that range with the stock controller. Based on my experience people tend to underestimate the altitude you have to fly at to maintain line of sight with your quad in order the radio can still control it (as well as maintaining a decent video feed). This is especially true if you have a tree line to contend with.

I suggest that once the quad is far enough away you can barely see it that you turn it around every so often to make sure it can see where you are at. When I fly from my house I look for the retention pond right behind me. If I can't see that I need to goose up the altitude for both FPV video and for the controller radio to be able to get to the quad.

I agree, i fly between 80 and 120 to get better range.

I get 2km with the Fatshark 250mw and a helical on my monitor.

xgeek said:
I get 2km with the Fatshark 250mw and a helical on my monitor.
Just got my FSs the other day. I'll have to put the Tx that came with it on my P2 and do a comparison.

Not sure how much more range is necessary, at least as far as I'm concerned. 2 km is pretty amazing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl