60 Minutes: Drones Over America (airs Sun 3/16)

Please don't use the C word and Feinstein in the same sentence - she will give the C word a bad name. Actually it is not surprising and parallels her position on everything. She owns and carries a weapon because she is an elitist, and it is not alright for anyone else. As part of the ruling elite, she is fine with the NSA, but the rest of us shall not possess anything of which she does not approve. These special people will be dumping crap in the blades in the coming months. You can count on it.

Have fun while you can.

Scottrod said:
Feinstein is a miserable old ****. Forgive my language. She's the same idiot who wants to ban guns. If it were up to her everything fun would be banned and any young whipper snappers (anyone under 60) would be thrown in jail.

LOl. I hope not. Under 60 puts me barely in the young whipper snapper group, soon to become an old whipper snapper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old Gazer, it is heartining to see someone from California dumping on Fienstein. How does she keep getting re-elected? All she wants to do is take away our freedoms. At least there is one person in California that won't vote for her!!

Feinstein is the ultimate hypocrite (as I tend to find most limo-libs). She personifies government knows what's best for you but she was the first to cry foul (after publically supporting the spying on our citizens) with the CIA removing documents from her. Even Stewart took her to task.

Firestat said:
Old Gazer, it is heartining to see someone from California dumping on Fienstein. How does she keep getting re-elected? All she wants to do is take away our freedoms. At least there is one person in California that won't vote for her!!

Actually, I'm from Oklahoma, one of the friendliest gun states in the country. Not many here that support her or Obama, including myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Of course, the irony is that Colin probably just sold a whole bunch more DJI products--when they show how cool these gizmos are and mention that you can buy them on Amazon, and do this on national TV...

I would imagine that Colin had rather mixed feelings about the piece--he just put a pile of money into DJI's pockets (and if their lawyers are any good the resulting sales boost won't figure into the inevitable legal settlement), but he's just positioned himself as a TV-friendly spokesman for an emerging industry. If I were him, I'd want to get the DJI suit settled sooner rather than later, as it tends to limit his marketability going forward, and he is in an excellent position for whatever comes next.

Scottrod said:
Feinstein is a miserable old ****. Forgive my language. She's the same idiot who wants to ban guns. If it were up to her everything fun would be banned and any young whipper snappers (anyone under 60) would be thrown in jail.

Another +1

dkatz42 said:
Of course, the irony is that Colin probably just sold a whole bunch more DJI products--

Yep, and the bulk of those are gonna end up in a tree somewhere because he made flying through a hole in one look so easy. ;)

Watch for good prices on "only flown once" Phantoms when folks find out there's still a little skill (depth perception, eye-hand coordination) required.

The piece was clearly produced well before the scathing decision against the FAA. However, 60 Minutes should have inserted an update at the end of the piece to let the audience know about that decision. 60 Minutes is not what it used to be. That was horrible journalism.

And on an interesting note, 60 Minute's use of drone-taken footage in the piece, for which it was paid (by advertisers), was arguably a "commercial use," and therefore in violation to the FAA's (fake) ban on such use. Talk about irony.

The FAA is required by the FMRA of 2012 to regulate unmanned aircraft. It just has not done so yet. And it is not permitted under the FMRA to regulate "model aircraft." However, model aircraft are specifically defined under that Act. (See below)

MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Remember, this Act instructs the FAA to regulate unmanned aircraft in the future, and it applies only to the FAA and not the public. Once the FAA has created the regulations the FMRA requires it to create, those regulations will then apply to the public.

iDrone said:
Nicely put flyNfrank.

iDrone :!:

You know, I seriously thought of you before adding this. I said "I wonder if that iDrone guy will get offended'.

petersachs said:
The FAA is required by the FMRA of 2012 to regulate unmanned aircraft. It just has not done so yet. And it is not permitted under the FMRA to regulate "model aircraft." However, model aircraft are specifically defined under that Act. (See below)

MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Remember, this Act instructs the FAA to regulate unmanned aircraft in the future, and it applies only to the FAA and not the public. Once the FAA has created the regulations the FMRA requires it to create, those regulations will then apply to the public.

I spoke with Micheal Toscano who is the President and CEO of AUVSI or Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International. We first spoke about my new multicopter website about what it's scope was, and then what his associations push was with FAA. He said it's about the Safety. He said it will be up to the FAA how any regulations are put into effect. He said his association provides recommendations to the FAA. I asked him about the 60 minutes segment and he said that footage was actually taken back at the end of the 1st week in January this year and it as you know finally aired. Anyway, he finally mentioned that there will be another event for UAS like we saw on 60 minutes coming up in Orlando Florida at the Orlando Expo (I believe that's what he called) in the middle of May this year(sorry but I think it was the 13-15th?)....

In my opinion I don't think anyone should worry about what the may oppose. Should there be some mechanical restrictions as someone here mentioned, just remember we have the aftermarket.

Innovation will keep doors open for us..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4