5400mah for Phantom 1

With your 4400mah frankenbat you could add 2 2200mah on the side and stay below 1500 gr I guess :)

ElGuano said:
Just doing a quick browse on HK, another reason why dual-DJI 2200s or Maddogs may be a better idea than just dropping $30-50 on a big 3s pack: weight.

A 4000mah pack weighs between 420-450g. A 5000mah pack weighs between 490-550g.

The dual-DJI 4400 weighs 320g, and dual Maddog 5400 weighs under 400g.That's a huge difference.

Very true, and even including the weight of a parallel XT60 cable, using 2 individual maddog batts would still only come to about 420g.

29 minutes you say? Challenge accepted :D

Ton4 said:
With your 4400mah frankenbat you could add 2 2200mah on the side and stay below 1500 gr I guess :)

Some dude on rcgroups ran 4(!) 2200s:

Phantom 1.2, Graupner 9x5 props, (4) 2200mah Phantom 3s, 3.3V alarm
Zenmuse Upgrade Board
AP style flight
TOTAL 26mins 41 seconds

Talk about your diminishing returns! Most of the overhead is copper I'd imagine.

I could strap one 4400mah to the bottom of my Phantom, with another one in the bay. 590g for the naked Phantom, 1232g AUW with two doubled batteries.

Huh, maybe I should add that to tomorrow's bare-5400mah test? If a 1268g 5400mah Phantom gets 21 minutes, I wonder what an 8800mah 1232g build would yield!

At some point it's just gonna be too boring flying back and forth in the yard. Dunno how EOD does it.

So I had my third test flight this morning, this time with a completely stripped, bare Phantom.

30 minutes, 22 seconds.

First level alarm came on at 29:04.
Ending voltage: 10.8.
AUW 987g.

The voltage was a bit lower than I would have liked, the Maddogs really need to land quickly once first level alarm is hit on the Naza (set to 10.6v). My 4400s can linger for a good 3 minutes or more.

Phantom weight (no battery):
Zd63ugq.jpg

Phantom weight AUW (with battery):
20Vb5Xd.jpg

@ElGuano:

Nice.

I can see that your Phantom is excited with his upgrade too :mrgreen:

Btw, have you looked into vacuforming? I'm thinking of getting into it to fabricate some body parts or casings (need lighter body for tk102b GPS tracker).

LeoS said:
@ElGuano:

Nice.

I can see that your Phantom is excited with his upgrade too :mrgreen:

Btw, have you looked into vacuforming? I'm thinking of getting into it to fabricate some body parts or casings (need lighter body for tk102b GPS tracker).

Yeah I've seen Parepko's mod. It's amazing, and honestly a lot more work than I'd be willing to do. I figure "crafting" new parts of the shell would add quite a bit of weight to epoxy onto the polystyrene. It's probably more fruitful to transfer everything to a P2 shell and work with the bigger battery cavity.

But, I try to keep an open mind, so if you give it a shot, I hope you come up with something incredible and change my mind!

So, after hitting 30 minutes on a 5400, I figure I'd have some fun while the Phantom was still unencumbered. The math suggests that I should also be able to hit 30 minutes if I used both of my 4400mah batteries in tandem. Thus birthed the 8800 3S4P:
CNV7tot.jpg

Yeah, it's that ridiculous. It's also pretty heavy: 1262g.
gpWPFzR.jpg

And you know what? It also hits over 30 minutes! So that's two ways to fly a Phantom for half an hour, in one day.

Because the weight is SO close to my 5400mah with gimbal and FPV, it gives me an idea of the tradeoff between energy and payload. 5400@1268g = 21 minutes. 8800@1262g = 30 minutes. Not nearly 1:1, but interesting results nonetheless.

OI Photography said:
Have you posted any of this at rcgroups or anywhere? That's gotta be a record for a P1 with no external batts.

I posted it to the huge (but kinda empty now) main Phantom thread on rcgroups. I don't know of anyone else who's hit 30 minutes on one, but I can't imagine it hasn't been done before. The 3S2P mod and 2700s have been out since October, and 9"/triblades have as well. I had the whole setup for months but never thought to run the test. This is more of a "personal best" for me. :)

LeoS said:
That's a huge milestone!

What's next? :mrgreen:

I think I need to take some time and go fly for fun :) An entire hour of watching this thing buzz around my backyard is about as fun as sitting in chem class

That's no good. Give Mark at 2dogs a call or email. I've found he is very responsive and may have some options depending on where you are.

Also, there are several brands of 2700s out now in EU and Asia, I'm sure you can find some with a more favorable shipping price.

BTW,

This thing http://www.e-volo.com is supposed to be very green etc, but can only fly for 20 minutes. So they invented the "range extender". The range extender is a combustion engine charging the batteries. Should be able to add a lot of fly time.

So, let's find a small rc engine and a dynamo of some sort and hang it on the Phantom :)

Oh, should someone tell them about vision style props?

LeoS said:
That's a huge milestone!

No doubt some P2 shells are ordered. The DJI "smart battery" seems pretty good in its watt/weight ratio, can be run with XT6 connectors, so my guess next is dual smart batteries on a P1 in a P2 shell.

Ton4 said:
LeoS said:
That's a huge milestone!

No doubt some P2 shells are ordered. The DJI "smart battery" seems pretty good in its watt/weight ratio, can be run with XT6 connectors, so my guess next is dual smart batteries on a P1 in a P2 shell.

My Phantom is light enough where 4400s give similar flight times to the P2+5200. Judging from the end voltage of my 8800mah setup after the 30min flight, I figure I could be up about 32-33 minutes total in that configuration. I think dual-5200s will max out at about 34-35 minutes. But it seems there aren't a lot of people who are concerned with weight on a P2. I bet there's a lot being left on the table and 40 minutes may actually be possible with a setup as impractical as mine :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31