5400mAH Battery

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I quickly discovered that I really need another battery. Probably 2 more.
I know we´re supposed to use original and genuine DJI products.
However, I came across this battery and seeing they have sold around 140 units, I would like to know the opinions of those who actually have tested them. Are they ok? Any noticeable difference from the original ones?
I assume they are compatible with the Phantom 2.

Im aware they made a recall on the first batch of these batteries.
Any comment is appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.banggood.com/11_1V-5400mAH-B ... 22154.html

I don´t want to risk it, that´s why I asked for those who have been using this battery to see if it was reliable. :)
Actually, if youre talking about 2 units, it´s US$120 + taxes over that (nearly U$200 more for me). Not a small difference.

From firmware v2
See item 3

March 26, 2014 PHANTOM 2 Firmware V2.00 has been released
ZENMUSE H3-3D compatible with PHANTOM 2 is released.
What’s new?
Main Controller Firmware
1. Supported of iPad Ground Station and PC Ground Station functions. When using iPad Ground Station, the BTU
firmware should be upgrade to V1.0.1.3 or above.
2. Added Flight Limits functions, including Max Height and Max Radius limits.
3. Added LED indicators warning, if non-DJI smart battery is detected, the LED flight indicators will be solid red.

Thanks Kev

From my own experience with this battery from the seller… Item 3 as listed above has no effect. The quad powers up and cycles through it's routines as if the battery is a genuine DJI battery. All lighting. calibrating and warm-up routines seem normal.

That said, using this battery in my neighbors phantom 2 resulted in a complete power loss during climbing flight twice. Upon further investigation and testing we determined that if full upward power was given the battery would completely shut down.
We can duplicate the issue by holding the Phantom by it's landing gear and applying full power.
This behavior does not happen with either of the OEM DJi batteries he has.

We contacted the seller and they offered a full refund for the battery.

Since the battery was anon DJI product we had no recourse through DJI because the defect was not their fault. This left us with a completely destroyed Zenmuse gimbal.

Totally not worth it.

Classic symptoms of a fictitious 'C' rating on the battery.

It just cant give out the power required of it at full throttle.

I would steer well clear of these batteries they are clearly not up to the job

I ordered a few batteries recently.
Went with DJI. Didn't want to risk it. Even if everyone on here that has purchased them didn't have any problems, I'd be the one that did.

I don't need more factors to contribute to my crash possibilities. haha

Kevinski said:
From firmware v2
3. Added LED indicators warning, if non-DJI smart battery is detected, the LED flight indicators will be solid red.

That's a negative ghost rider.

I have been using Turnigy batteries in my P2 for a while now and have never seen that issue...pure marketing!

Total cutout at WOT, that is about as bad as it gets! If ever there was a reason to stay away...

I have some saggy 10c 5200 packs and they still work without triggering LV on either the phantom or even my hex.

webtop said:
Kevinski said:
From firmware v2

That's a negative ghost rider.

I have been using Turnigy batteries in my P2 for a while now and have never seen that issue...pure marketing!

How do you connect them ?

Given the rather impressive power-to-weight ratio of the smart battery it's obviously not just a case of reverse engineering the electronics but also whatever chemistry is in there to develop the perfromance. Looks like these guys cracked one (literally) but not the other.

The problem is the Banggood price is £40 below UK retail prices from dealers, so I can see why it would be attractive, but it's far too big a risk to use non-original batteries that might cost you the whole quad. The worry about these is if they are suffering with these power losses, how vulnerable is the lipo going to be to something potential much worse: going up in smoke - best case scenario in the air in the Phantom, worst case scenario at home plugged into the charger...

jkramer5 said:
From my own experience with this battery from the seller… Item 3 as listed above has no effect. The quad powers up and cycles through it's routines as if the battery is a genuine DJI battery. All lighting. calibrating and warm-up routines seem normal.

That said, using this battery in my neighbors phantom 2 resulted in a complete power loss during climbing flight twice. Upon further investigation and testing we determined that if full upward power was given the battery would completely shut down.
We can duplicate the issue by holding the Phantom by it's landing gear and applying full power.
This behavior does not happen with either of the OEM DJi batteries he has.

We contacted the seller and they offered a full refund for the battery.

Since the battery was anon DJI product we had no recourse through DJI because the defect was not their fault. This left us with a completely destroyed Zenmuse gimbal.

Totally not worth it.

Wow.. that´s terrible. I assume that this battery was from the first batch that was recalled, right?
Anyways.. I don´t think I´m willing to risk it even if they say the problem has been fixed. Maybe in the future when it´s been tested for some time.

I guess it´s ok to buy these ones:
http://www.banggood.com/DJI-Phantom-2-V ... 16793.html

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Yeah, these are not just standard "dumb" lipos that you can pick up anywhere and solder on an appropriate connector. There are substantial electronics integrated into the pack and i2c communications between it and the NAZA. Get that wrong, and you have way more problems than just "3rd party pack that doesn't fit well in the bay" or other typical lipo issues. This is a real concrete example showing that it's just not worth risking your Phantom...JMO.

Ordering from a site called "banggood" will probably increase the odds that your Phantom is going to "bang" the ground "good".

The one you linked to is the one he bought. This happened very recently. I wouldn't have touched it myself.... and I'm pretty sure my buddy regrets it to say the least.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic