5200 battery discharge device

Reaction score
Put together a little resistor based discharge device for Phantom 5200 type batteries:

Parts:
Qty 4, 100 watt, 8 ohm power resistors Ebay item: 131163389595
Aluminum heat sink Ebay item: 141381483277
Power connector for the Phantom (also good to use same cables to charge multiple batteries on a HiTec 4AC charger)
http://www.helipal.com/djip2-06-dji...r-plug.html?osCsid=hdoike8h7011tk5slo9uaf4vu7
Bullet connector pairs, some wiring and screws.

Wired up as shown giving 8 Ohms split among the 4 power resistors allowing up to 400 watts power discharge capability which is more than adequate. Discharge rate is about 1.5A. You can switch around the wires to the resistors to change that rate or buy different values of resistors from same item as above. One might want to get a little larger heat sink if you do higher rates.

Attachments

• dischargedevice.jpg
    dischargedevice.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 483
When you use this set up to discharge a battery, how do you monitor the battery state? I discharge my batteries using a 12 volt halogen bulb on a lead that is soldered to the battery connector.

Interesting if an attempt to get battery down to the 8% after 20 charges. If for reduction to 50%, the new battery firmware will do that after 10 days.

I thought the Plus V3 is supposed to have a way to discharge the batteries. Is this correct?

Pmcdn said:
I thought the Plus V3 is supposed to have a way to discharge the batteries. Is this correct?
The new firmware update for the battery will discharge the battery down to 50% for storage. Li-Po's should not be stored fully charged. My test with one showed it was discharged down to 50% after sitting for 13 days. Don't check it before that time. That will reset the "timer."
Just be sure you have real DJI batteries or they may not work after being updated with new battery firmware.

I updated to firmware 3.6. I heard you need to update each battery is this true ? How do I do that and how do I know witch version or number is it ? Thanks

GearLoose said:
When you use this set up to discharge a battery, how do you monitor the battery state? I discharge my batteries using a 12 volt halogen bulb on a lead that is soldered to the battery connector.

Battery lights themselves tell degree of charge. I just discharge below 50% or all the way down as far as the lights keep going.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj