500m limit cracked yet? Not buying P3 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, you just don't get it. Drivers licenses don't make good drivers, training and practice does. I grew up on a farm I drove equipment on the road by myself since age 9. I followed the rules and didn't cause problems. I didn't magically become a driver when I turned 16 and memorized the drivers manual well enough to to pass the test.

You actually believe that people who support having pilots or drivers be licensed is because we believe it makes them magically "good"? o_O Don't you do realize that in order to get a driver's license you're required to have TRAINING AND PRACTICE - the two things you just said made good drivers?

You may actually be in elementary school right now.

Raytheon is working on a airborne system that can detect active signatures common to consumer drones. The system is supposedly capable of altitude recognition to a resolution of 25 feet and locating the transmission source paired to the drone.

:)

Reactions: Adam Kontras
Raytheon is working on a airborne system that can detect active signatures common to consumer drones. The system is supposedly capable of altitude recognition to a resolution of 25 feet and locating the transmission source paired to the drone.

:)
So would that help the issue I brought up where my altitude limit kept me from going over a foothill, even though I was only 75 feet off the ground since my starting point was 400 feet below? Or is this just a totally unrelated point so I stop flogging elementary children.

You actually believe that people who support having pilots or drivers be licensed is because we believe it makes them magically "good"? o_O Don't you do realize that in order to get a driver's license you're required to have TRAINING AND PRACTICE - the two things you just said made good drivers?

You may actually be in elementary school right now.
Pilots is one thing but it's gonna be hard to require licenses when any idiot will be able to go into best buy and buy a drone and fly it anywhere.

You are wrong on drivers training. Over 18 in my home state all that was required to get your license was pass the written test, no driving test or training required.

Again I want the same thing as you, people to follow rules (which we don't really have right now) with or without licenses won't make a difference for items like this. Only responsible people will follow rules and they happen to be the same people who would get licenses.

Go ahead and keep calling me immature and then re-read my posts and understand what I'm saying you aren't comprehending it.

But then again you strike me as somebody who would love to be one of the people to profit off of being a drone trainer for someone to get their drone license, only $250 per person.

So would that help the issue I brought up where my altitude limit kept me from going over a foothill, even though I was only 75 feet off the ground since my starting point was 400 feet below? Or is this just a totally unrelated point so I stop flogging elementary children.
Stop flogging the children... ;)

And I was talking to a fellow pilot, who is also a senior check airman at FEDEX and is a Lobbyist for AOPA.... They are pushing hard for appropriate penalties to those who exhibit zero regard for aviation safety.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
"Again I want the same thing as you, people to follow rules"

YOU HAVE TO MAKE RULES FOR PEOPLE TO FOLLOW. And when you're operating something that can go thousands of feet in the air and thus FALL thousands of feet in the air you need to be certain they understand what those rules are. You need to be able to read Class B No-Fly zones, something I sure as hell didn't when I went to Vegas and apparently broke every law there was. I was stupid enough to trust the no-fly zones DJI loaded into my GPS and avoided them, come to find out? They were wrong. Had I been trained and licensed I would've looked at the Class B no-fly zones that go from 400 feet all the way to the GROUND and then, I wouldn't have broken the law.

See the point? You need training. You need a certification system. And considering what I just admitted to not knowing, I'm pretty sure I'm the last person to be profiting off TEACHING these classes. :D

The bottom line is, if we don't as a community push for this? We're 1 or 2 accidents away from an outright ban of consumer drones. Ban. Done. Congress will have NO issue getting that passed when a couple of kids die. Get these laws in place NOW and we'll avoid that.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE RULES FOR PEOPLE TO FOLLOW. And when you're operating something that can go thousands of feet in the air and thus FALL thousands of feet in the air you need to be certain they understand what those rules are. You need to be able to read Class B No-Fly zones, something I sure as hell didn't when I went to Vegas and apparently broke every law there was. I was stupid enough to trust the no-fly zones DJI loaded into my GPS and avoided them, come to find out? They were wrong. Had I been trained and licensed I would've looked at the Class B no-fly zones that go from 400 feet all the way to the GROUND and then, I wouldn't have broken the law.

See the point? You need training. You need a certification system. And considering what I just admitted to not knowing, I'm pretty sure I'm the last person to be profiting off TEACHING these classes. :D

The bottom line is, if we don't as a community push for this? We're 1 or 2 accidents away from an outright ban of consumer drones. Ban. Done. Congress will have NO issue getting that passed when a couple of kids die. Get these laws in place NOW and we'll avoid that.
As I've said before we as a community would be better served if we worked with manufacturers so that you had to earn your privileges through flying and reading the manual and laws before the app let you fly or remove limits. Hell, put a test in it. Some will hack it, some will still home brew a drone.

Government involvement in the form of a required license in my opinion is the last thing we need for a toy.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=18295

"Under the proposed rule, the person actually flying a small UAS would be an “operator.” An operator would have to be at least 17 years old, pass an aeronautical knowledge test and obtain an FAA UAS operator certificate. To maintain certification, the operator would have to pass the FAA knowledge tests every 24 months. A small UAS operator would not need any further private pilot certifications (i.e., a private pilot license or medical rating)."

Yes. This is what I'm talking about. It's a start. And by the way I found that link from the story of a guy hitting 2 people with a (you guessed it) Phantom 3 hitting a building and having it fall into a parade.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-day-parade/UFt2MohBZ9ZQZU49EcLsxN/story.html

As I've said before we as a community would be better served if we worked with manufacturers so that you had to earn your privileges through flying and reading the manual and laws before the app let you fly or remove limits. Hell, put a test in it. Some will hack it, some will still home brew a drone.

Government involvement in the form of a required license in my opinion is the last thing we need for a toy.
It's not a toy. For the millionth time, it's not a toy. The fact that you think that proves the very point we're all saying.

Reactions: Buzz313th

I think the point is regulations won't fix stupid. See also: guns. Responsible gun owners don't need laws.

People will do stupid **** and post it on YouTube. Laws will not make this go away.

I think the point is regulations won't fix stupid. See also: guns. Responsible gun owners don't need laws.

People will do stupid **** and post it on YouTube. Laws will not make this go away.

Without laws and well defined fines and penalties, they will outlaw it altogether. Think about it.

Phantom firmware Vers. 1.98765432 will implement another flight mode.

It will be called GPC mode, short for "Gene Pool Cleansing".

With this new firmware version, the phantom will evaluate flight data from the encrypted log files stored in the onboard memory everytime the phantom boots up. If the flight data shows numerous logs that exhibit "DE" (Dumbassery events) it will switch to the GPC" mode after home position is recorded. Once in the "GPC" mode and positive altitude is commanded by the phantom remote controller, the phantom will immediately perform a "CSB" maneuver and fly at maximum velocity directly towards the transmition source of the remote controller.

Unfortunately, DJI refuses to comment on how many recorded "DE's" are needed to switch to "GPC" mode, nor have the commented on what the "CSB" maneuver stands for, although it's rumored to stand for, "Chopper Sick Balls".

LOL, everyone is trying to argue with someone named Jerkynuts !

In case I was misunderstood... I'm talking about 'operating' at 1500 feet. I'm talking about going up, snapping some shots of a video and coming down. I can hear a plane coming. I can see a plane coming. I can do this quite safely... until they come up with a Cessna that operates in the <1500 foot range and does Mach 2, no one is going to die. Get over your sheeple selves.

That said, this is my first Phantom and it hasn't been over 215 feet yet, that's scary high! :D I just enjoy ruffling the wool on the sheep. :rolleyes:

In case I was misunderstood... I'm talking about 'operating' at 1500 feet. I'm talking about going up, snapping some shots of a video and coming down. I can hear a plane coming. I can see a plane coming. I can do this quite safely... until they come up with a Cessna that operates in the <1500 foot range and does Mach 2, no one is going to die. Get over your sheeple selves.

That said, this is my first Phantom and it hasn't been over 215 feet yet, that's scary high! :D I just enjoy ruffling the wool on the sheep. :rolleyes:
Excellent.. What happens when your safely "Snapping Your Shot At 1500 feet", in controlled airspace and the drone goes into RTH mode and starts flying autonomously at that altitude? What if something goes wrong, and you lose or drop control signal? What about a flyaway? Real Pilots are constantly taking into consideration redundancy and plans for an emergency.. Which Drone operators are less likely to consider because they are not putting their *** on the line.

I'm a newbie to the sport and joined this site because I thought it was for "Phantom Pilots"....not "Phantom Idiots"? There is a tremendous amount of useful information on this site and this is the kind of crap that will ruin the sport. I hope nobody gives out any information for defeating the altitude restriction? If you want to do that then do it in a message not here. If you insist on posting it here please include your full name and address.

It's not a toy. For the millionth time, it's not a toy. The fact that you think that proves the very point we're all saying.
To me it is. I have or had cars, motorcycles, atv's and guns that I've had for no other reason than to play with. I don't have my phantom for business or building my internet blog life nor do I post on YouTube. It's purely a fun hobby to me hence another toy in my collection. Others opinions may vary.

Reactions: damitjim
Excellent.. What happens when your safely "Snapping Your Shot At 1500 feet", in controlled airspace and the drone goes into RTH mode and starts flying autonomously at that altitude? What if something goes wrong, and you lose or drop control signal? What about a flyaway? Real Pilots are constantly taking into consideration redundancy and plans for an emergency.. Which Drone operators are less likely to consider because they are not putting their *** on the line.

RTH isn't set at 1500 feet, but guess what, accidents happen. Your argument is weak. What happens when I'm flying at 200 feet and the Phantom freaks out and flies to 3000 feet, on it's own? What if global warming melts the quad in midair and it crashes to earth, hitting a 2 year old as a blob of hot, liquid plastic? A whole lot of 'what if' in there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20