500 meter limit altitude hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get the Litchi app, you can just use that as your app and not even bother with the DJI Go app at all. The Litchi app has everything you need with the possible exception of IMU calibration. It also has functional GS, Waypoint flying with multiple POIs, Follow Me, and Orbit, all for the P3 and I1, and no arbitrary altitude limits on manual flight like the Go App. You don't need to start with that, then go to the DJI app. Litchi is not an enhancement for the Go app, it is it's own stand-alone app. It is currently in Alpha testing, but you can sign up, and start testing. I am an Alpha tester for this app, as well as the Ultimate Flight app, although I am using Litchi much more. Here's what you need to do if you are interested:

In order to get the alpha version which supports the P3/Inspire1, you will need to join this google forum/group:Google Groups

You also need to sign up for testing at Sign in - Google Accounts

Assuming you already own the app (Litchi for DJI Phantom 2 - Android Apps on Google Play), you will then receive alpha updates automatically through the play store.

Firmware links can be found here: Firmwares

These firmwares are required if you want to test autonomous flight modes (currently GS, Follow me and POI) on the P3 or I1.

In order to use autonomous flight modes on P3 and I1, you need to flip the controller switch to the F position. You also need to make sure that IOC is disabled (can be changed in DJI Pilot).

If you need to regain control at any time, you will be able to do so by flipping the mode switch back to P.

Please make sure you understand the risks if you decide to give it a try!

Thank you for your interest!

Glad to see you are in Arizona where the limit is 400 ft. Sorry but your one of the guys well read about. Drone up at 2000 ft in commercial airspace or a Cesna windshield crashed by a drone and the pilot was severely injured.
Get my drift. Fly safe and do us all a favor. But I guess in the mountains that height above ground is not dangerous. Sorry for the rant.
Do t be sorry for the rant. There will be enough bozos out there to spoil it for everyone else. It's inevitable.

Yeah those are really nice shots. I love that type of thing. I was flying a P2V+ earlier this year in Nepal and had lots of problems with GPS. Those gorges are so deep (more than 10,000' sometimes) that there were quite a few locations I could never get more than 4 or 5 satellites. P3 is better in that regard it seems to me. I had 20 satellites once flying in Scotland.

Bet you have some incredible video and pics from Nepal. I was there in November 2014 but did not have my drone. Not easy to fly when it does not have GPS.

acherman, do you have problems with GPS or losing signal with all those trees and in those narrow canyons?

Here in Arizona we have an abundance of wide open spaces and no trees to worry about (at least down here in the desert). Here is my latest video. The 500 meter limit wasn't an issue with this particular mountain as it was only 1200 vertical feet up from the parking lot.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have been thinking of flying at Toms Thumb as well. Great video!

Rob, once Litchi is ready for Prime Time you are right. No need for the DJI Go app. Litchi doesn't have camera control yet and the fact that it is in Alpha means bugs and to be expected. The DJI Go is tried and true and I know the work around for the bugs. It takes a lot of trust to fly out this far. Once Litchi is ready I'll probably switch.

Here is one. To the summit it is actually 3000 feet.
Can you say which hardware (Android/IOS) that you are using? Is it freezing? etc. How reliable is it. I'm looking to buy something because the Galaxy Tab S freezes all the time with all other apps disabled.

Hi all I'm in Australia "height limits" from what I understand we are not under height restrictions yet I can allow a setting over 500m.
We all agree most of will not be 2km up but when in Mountainous areas etc we need that ability. CAN anyone say for sure if in AUS are forced into there restrictions.

I'm trolling thru the CASA AUS equivalent to FAA.

DJI this need to be addressed people need to be held responsible for their own actions.

Hope to hear from anyone

Reactions: huntjock
Can you say which hardware (Android/IOS) that you are using? Is it freezing? etc. How reliable is it. I'm looking to buy something because the Galaxy Tab S freezes all the time with all other apps disabled.
Hi tmyc. I'm using an Acer Iconia 8 Tab running Android 4.4.2 and the latest DJI Go. I was crashing every time but once I turned the local video caching it has been very stable.

After looking up CASA we in AUS are advised to stay below 500m. DJI these machines are not toys and most of are not kids but responsible people allow us too fly above 500m

Great video.
Interesting point: Is the measurement on the P3P from the point of takeoff or via the altimiter? As the land below rises so should you be allowed to so flying over a 3000' mountain as you are not actually breaking the law (mountains are measured from sea-level).

Chris. What is the green box on the top of the rock? Beautiful work, by the way.

On the Tom's Thumb video I assume? It is a summit registry. When someone climbs to the top, they can sign their name as proof that they climbed it. It has to be in a weather proof box obviously.
I am guessing it is a Geocache box.

Well, at last there is some decent, real music, with the shots. A couple of very nice shots, too. While flights over 100m are not allowed in areas where there is habitation, this footage hardly represents a danger to anything, and the pilot of any aircraft flying at that altitude in that setting is the one being irresponsible. But then I guess that's already been said. I couldn't resist the comment on the decent music.

Last edited:
I have 3 batteries. The Supers were shot with 2. When doing these long flights a lot of the energy is spent on getting to the target and then getting home. Toms Thumb was only a mile away so it takes about 2 minutes out and 2 minutes back. I try and keep my flights down to about 15 minutes of safe flying time. I'm still pretty much an amateur at smooth clean flying and so there is a lot of video that ends up on the digital cutting room floor. It is tricky because I am using the video for both vidography and to pilot the P3. That means much of the video is me looking around assessing the best angles etc.

Here is a video of Mt. McDowell that is a combination of three separate days of flights over 3 weeks. It is 2 miles out and 1500 feet up to the summit so it is really pushing it.

Flying over mountain at Spring lake park Cali. Max altitude reached (from my take off point) flying over the mountain was around 1,100 feet though I was maybe never over two to three hundred feet from the ground below. Also flew over a mile distance roughly 6,300 feet. Check out the scenery on the return leg. Very nice. Don't mind the light exposure at the beginning it gets adjusted.

Last edited:
Just know a different set of 'boys' fly around, too low at times.

Many push beyond the limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31