500 meter limit altitude hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have successfully hacked the 500 meter altitude limit in DJI Go and flown my P3P 609 meters (2000 feet) straight up using the DJI Go app.

Here is the hack:
1) Buy the Litchi app
2) Sign up as an Alpha tester for the P3 version
3) Once you have the Alpha version for the P3, connect Litchi to the controller and the P3 and set the maximum altitude to 2000 feet (or anything above 1640 feet / 500 meters)
4) Power off the tablet, the controller and the P3
5) Power everything back on as normal.
6) Launch DJI Go
7) Confirm the maximum altitude is over 500 meters (what ever value you set in Litchi)
8) Fly as normal. If you reach the new set altitude it will report as normal that you have reached the maximum altitude. As far as I could tell everything in DJI Go worked normally.

This procedure needs to be done for each flight as it will default back to 120 meters.

Please fly responsibly! The only reason I wanted to fly over 500 meters is to do aerial video over mountains. I generally always remain below 400 feet above the ground. I see no point in flying this high over flat ground as it can be dangerous to aircraft.

2000 feet.jpg

Reactions: BrianG-PH
ib4 "omg over 400FT!"

It defaults to 120m every time? That's kind of lame.

Chris how do I get the alpha I can only find the app for p2

Chris how do I get the alpha I can only find the app for p2

Here is the information from the email I received to join:

Hi,

In order to get the alpha version which supports the P3/Inspire1, you will need to join this google forum/group:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vision-plus-app-alpha-testers/join

You also need to sign up for testing at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.aryuthere.visionplus

Assuming you already own the app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aryuthere.visionplus), you will then receive alpha updates automatically through the play store.

Firmware links can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-KZ2g2eD63FRXJ4NndMYWx3ZEk&usp=sharing

These firmwares are required if you want to test autonomous flight modes (currently GS, Follow me and POI) on the P3 or I1.

In order to use autonomous flight modes on P3 and I1, you need to flip the controller switch to the F position. You also need to make sure that IOC is disabled (can be changed in DJI Pilot).

If you need to regain control at any time, you will be able to do so by flipping the mode switch back to P.

Please make sure you understand the risks if you decide to give it a try!

Thank you for your interest!

My P3P will go above 2000 ft with the new firmware and go app. Usually I was limited to 1639 ft. But now it goes that's high and keeps climbing. Went to 2080 ft without a hiccup and decided I needed to come back down. Who knows how high it will actually go

Glad to see you are in Arizona where the limit is 400 ft. Sorry but your one of the guys well read about. Drone up at 2000 ft in commercial airspace or a Cesna windshield crashed by a drone and the pilot was severely injured.
Get my drift. Fly safe and do us all a favor. But I guess in the mountains that height above ground is not dangerous. Sorry for the rant.

Glad to see you are in Arizona where the limit is 400 ft. Sorry but your one of the guys well read about. Drone up at 2000 ft in commercial airspace or a Cesna windshield crashed by a drone and the pilot was severely injured.
Get my drift. Fly safe and do us all a favor. But I guess in the mountains that height above ground is not dangerous. Sorry for the rant.
What limit?

Reactions: TYCORP
RoyVA, you know I actually agree with you 100%. I have absolutely no interest in flying 2000 feet above the ground and I also think it is dangerous and irresponsible. I think the 400 foot limit above the ground is quite reasonable. My passion is shooting mountain scenes and twice now the 500 meter limit has impacted my flights as I couldn't clear a ridge line.

For people who shoot where the land is flat, even 500 meters is too high IMO. But for those of us who shoot around mountains, cliffs and spires the 500 meter limit is unreasonable as I am not posing a danger to aircraft unless they are flying dangerously close to the mountain.

Dear scooterchris. please explain to us how you get the mentioned altitude. And if you may, show us the configurations and versions you are using. Plot Thickens!
(I haven't t had so much fun since my Lisa became Mac!)

I would like to see a video showing a two thousand foot mountain range. And also please fly safe and obey all rules and regulations. Thanks

The DJI Go app has a 500 meter limit. How did you get past it?
I did nothing sir other than go out and fly. Was trying to gain my reception back and in the process didn't realize how high was. Over 2025 feet. Don't remember the exact number.

Dear scooterchris. please explain to us how you get the mentioned altitude. And if you may, show us the configurations and versions you are using. Plot Thickens!
(I haven't t had so much fun since my Lisa became Mac!)
I'm using the newest firmware updates for both the bird and rc. The dji go app. Dji go app updated. I always fly safe. This was a total slip up on my part. I was basically just trying to get my video back.

I did nothing sir other than go out and fly. Was trying to gain my reception back and in the process didn't realize how high was. Over 2025 feet. Don't remember the exact number.
Where you 2025 feet away, or 2025 feet in altitude? 2000 feet away is easy with the Phantom 3. 2000 feet straight up or above where you took off is not possible with a stock setup.

Reactions: romi
Wish people would stop blasting flights distance of heights based on their own local laws. Not everyone flying a DJI product is bound to the FAA.
I do hope that users use common sense and respect local limits but can we keep posts constructive.
If someone has a way to exceed a readers "local limits" please don't comment, regardless of how entitled or worried you are that they are in your air space.
Common sense and local laws should be priority for any user. Filling forums with nonsense and arguments is not.

So..
The Litchi app is Android only? iOS ?

Where you 2025 feet away, or 2025 feet in altitude? 2000 feet away is easy with the Phantom 3. 2000 feet straight up or above where you took off is not possible with a stock setup.
I was at about 9000 ft away I believe. I will pull the flight data tonight if I remember how to do that.
Anyone want to refresh my memory please

I have an Inspire, but I also have a P3 on order. I was thinking about going to this spot that I know that is on a ridgeline. Where I'd stand (as well as park) is around 5200' elevation. Thought it would be cool to fly along the ridgeline and dip into the valley. Is this possible, or would my craft not even be able to get off the ground? Or do I just have to go into the settings and increase/release the elevation limits?

For those of you complaining about this thread: While we don't condone this behavior, posting about it is not breaking forum guidelines. The world is a big place full of lots of different rules. Not all apply everywhere.

I will say, on a personal note for our US members, that flights above 400ft are foolish and ill-advised. Boasting about it online is even more ill-advised given that anyone can report your exploits to the FAA. And they WILL investigate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav