5 months into hobby 1600 bucks later and I had a fly away

Re: 5 months into hobby 1600 bucks later and I had a fly awa

BlackTracer said:
As others have said and I agree, your problem is not gps related. No offense but your problem is so all over the place is hard to tell what's going on with your bird.

Going back to your original problem, it appears your bird was in manual mode and that caused your crash. Now that you have crashed, it seems you have other problems probably related to that impact.

I hope reverting your gps puck to the original fixes it but I doubt it. I hope you prove us wrong and you are back flying by now.

Agreed, when I first read this post I thought "he was in manual somehow" especially believed this when his earlier post said he had manual as an option on S1

The GPS antenna is not the problem. If you start it up on the ground without props and it starts ramping up on its own you need to find out the cause. Sounds like a TX calibration is in order and an advanced IMU calibration are in order.

Jeremy James

People attribute too much importance - and blame - to the GPS. This erratic behavior has nothing to do with the GPS. Like everyone has said, IMU calibration is probably the culprit here. After a hard landing/crash, ESC's may be damaged, and motors slightly bent (even though they may look straight).

This may be a longshot, and I'm asking the experts here in the thread, but could a pinched/damaged wire/cable cause this kind of thing?

GPS to many is not well understood (I'm no expert either) so we are 'wired' to suspect that which we know the least about.

Makes sense cause if you have knowledge that can eliminate some of the other possible causes, that's what you're left with.

If you are receiving satellites, then it's not the GPS antenna. Besides, the behaviour you are describing is not GPS or Compass. Did you ever recalibrate the IMU?

Looking back at your posts, I understand that when you start the motors it wants to fly off on its own? That sounds like it's going into fail-safe and wants to take off, rise to RTH altitude then head for home.
Have you tried updating the firmware on the controller and the Phantom, then recalibrate everything.

You guys aren't going to believe this........

It WAS the GPS I removed the protective foil and the module and what you know... it looks like it got hot and burned a bit.
check out the pictures the one I posted earlier the ceramic square is clean, that's when it was new.

This picture shows it a bit brown. . And I was wondering why it always felt a bit warm on top..

Then as I removed it the bottom of it was a bit cooked too

So I soldered the original one back

I went out in the yard reset the compass and waited a good 3-4 minutes until I had 6 satellites

and it flew and hovered like it should, a little drifty but it was only 6 satts, this is why I did that mod in the first place.. I did notice one thing though it would flash green once then red once now that tells me I need 1 more satt to make it 100% right??

Geeze what an experience.. I can here my father saying to me when I was a kid always taking things apart to "make them better"
He would say " They pay engineers thousands of dollars to draw up the design.. AND YOUR GONNA MAKE IT BETTER??" LMAO He's right
Maybe DJI had a reason not use that particular ceramic antenna...

SO NOW I have to repair the camera rubber dampers... I'm looking at this is there an easy way to get the new rubber on without taking the camera off the bird? I need to see some type of video..

Thanks to EVERYONE you guys are great listening to me whine and *****..

Now to Repair this camera rubbers how the hell do you get the plastic thing in there when its so close behind the bird??

Attachments

• IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 435

goatman said:
You guys aren't going to believe this........

It WAS the GPS I removed the protective foil and the module and what you know... it looks like it got hot and burned a bit.
check out the pictures the one I posted earlier the ceramic square is clean, that's when it was new.

This picture shows it a bit brown. . And I was wondering why it always felt a bit warm on top..

Then as I removed it the bottom of it was a bit cooked too

So I soldered the original one back

I went out in the yard reset the compass and waited a good 3-4 minutes until I had 6 satellites

and it flew and hovered like it should, a little drifty but it was only 6 satts, this is why I did that mod in the first place.. I did notice one thing though it would flash green once then red once now that tells me I need 1 more satt to make it 100% right??

Geeze what an experience.. I can here my father saying to me when I was a kid always taking things apart to "make them better"
He would say " They pay engineers thousands of dollars to draw up the design.. AND YOUR GONNA MAKE IT BETTER??" LMAO He's right
Maybe DJI had a reason not use that particular ceramic antenna...

SO NOW I have to repair the camera rubber dampers... I'm looking at this is there an easy way to get the new rubber on without taking the camera off the bird? I need to see some type of video..

Thanks to EVERYONE you guys are great listening to me whine and *****..

Now to Repair this camera rubbers how the hell do you get the plastic thing in there when its so close behind the bird??

Interesting. I have one but haven't put it in yet. First I've read about this happening. Maybe nobody has looked at them afterwards. Many :?: :?: :?:

I have 4 of them. Bought 2 for myself and 2 for a buddy of mine and had planned to swap mine out and keep one as a spare in case it were ever needed. Got lazy and just decided to do the copper tape shielding mod instead and see how that worked out. I have picked up as many as 13 satellites with just the copper shielding mod in my Vision 2, and routinely have 10-11. Satellite lock is not a problem for me at all.

After this story, I doubt that I will go to the trouble.

I wonder what made it overheat.

capodrone called it on page 3 ... just saying .. lol..

nice job bro fixing your phantom and not giving up!!!

I have replaced dozens of these antennas. The antenna is more than likely not the problem. I have seen some people use too much solder and it bridges the receiving plane with the ground plane and then this happens. Here is a small pile of antennas with all happy customers. It does not take much solder.

Jeremy

Attachments

• antennas resized.jpg
    antennas resized.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 444

To me, the original GPS puck goatman reinstalled looks a bit singed too.

If I were him for good measure I would just replace the whole GPS unit.

well fellas....its completely ffed..... I first did a a advanced reset in the assistant did it all... I went out to the beach this AM and had 8 satts , green lights Got up about 60 feet again and it was very unsteady I tried to bring it back to me and it suffered another crash.. IM DONE... :( at least the camera didn't get hurt.. now I have a spare parts bird. .may be just the motors-at least they spin... What I did notice was that it lost after about 20 seconds connectivity with my ipod , but no fail safe lights blinking , still had all green as it hit the ground
Don't know If Ill buy another one... anyone need any parts? I give up no sense trying to fix it

****, I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have any video footage of the crash? Might help us figure out what happened, even though you said you were done.

eurostylin said:
NAZA mode? Flip S1 down one click and take over manually.

Just posting this here for others to read as a reminder of why you should always fly in NAZA..

2 clicks down

I think he means flying it [mostly] manually in ATTI mode, not true manual mode.

hey guys check this out I m just at the end of my rope and at a last ditch effort I see that there is some type of reset button on the phantom. . I pushed it with a small screwdriver and also clicked the reset on the wi fi (why I don't know) but I did.. Now I really messed it up cause the phantom doesn't connect to the Ipod ..On the I pod it shows Im connected to the wi fi but nothing else...Thankfully it connects to the TX.. So now what do I do...well I took the camera off and decided to fly blind NO Ipod all I'm relying on is the light sequence on the Bird...WELL HOLY **** It flies like a champ!! Hovers PERFECT but with no camera attatched... WTF did I do??

PLEASE How DO I get the bird to connect to the WIFI?? What good is it if it flies perfectly without the camera??

goatman said:
hey guys check this out I m just at the end of my rope and at a last ditch effort I see that there is some type of reset button on the phantom. . I pushed it with a small screwdriver and also clicked the reset on the wi fi (why I don't know) but I did.. Now I really messed it up cause the phantom doesn't connect to the Ipod ..On the I pod it shows Im connected to the wi fi but nothing else...Thankfully it connects to the TX.. So now what do I do...well I took the camera off and decided to fly blind NO Ipod all I'm relying on is the light sequence on the Bird...WELL HOLY **** It flies like a champ!! Hovers PERFECT but with no camera attatched... WTF did I do??

PLEASE How DO I get the bird to connect to the WIFI?? What good is it if it flies perfectly without the camera??

Here is how to... also check how to do it with QR-Code Scan.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92pm6bahxg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7FsdCPrEeU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SBxGj_4bo[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj