5 months into hobby 1600 bucks later and I had a fly away

Re: 5 months into hobby 1600 bucks later and I had a fly awa

Sure it didn't go into RTH mode ? Trying to climb to 20 m ? I hit the fail safe switch once and it tried to climb.
My plugs a little loose too and never had a problem. If the plug came out wouldn't it just go onto atti mode ?

Do you have failsafe mode replaced with manual mode? Manual (not ATTI) is trickier to fly and can cause it to do things you never intended it to.
Losing sats would have nothing to do with your crash, by the way, it would just default to ATTI mode.

I do have fail safe replaced with manual Ill put it back to fail safe and see I just cant understand it I just recalibrated everything so lets see what happens... Im pissed at this

Could it be a bad S1 switch that shorted into manual mode? I'm thinking of replacing my toggle switches with better quality ones because I've heard of the cheap originals breaking.

Any antenna mods? Maybe a loose connection with the cable? Only thing I would think of would be your replacement GPS antenna... You mentioned your soldering skills are good. So I just dong know. But very scary did u update firmware? And what version?

Im gonna give up with this,Im calling B+H camera in Manhattan and we will see what happens maybe get anotherone and keep this for parts? or just give it up altogether... I caught it on video ill post it in a few

It almost sounds like it engaged to RTH mode, which made it gain altitude (normal behaviour), then flipped to manual, and since it is much more sensitive in that mode, it lost altitude because you banked too hard when you were making it come back. Smash into the pavement.

If RTH was engaged, and the phone/tablet still had WiFi reception (FPV) with the Drone, then it would indicate RTH on the screen as a massive black rectangle in the middle of the screen. I have seen times when the WiFi is still working but the control signal is lost, and times when the control signal is working and the WiFi is lost. So far I have never lost both together :)

I managed to video this outside. Im holding on to it very lightly letting it go where it wants to. as you can see and hear the sound in the vid..

Im going to get another one and it be the last one this one ill keep for parts... anyone need any parts? lol

https://vimeo.com/121836096

that thing is fukd. sorry. lol :shock: :shock:

i hate to say i but it has to have something to do with the replacment gps antenna... maybe its shitty out of the box.. only thing you know and we don't is was it flying normal before you modded the antenna, then , after you modded did it start having this issue. if the answer to that is yes, and only you would know then. well..

try to fix again with known good equipment or give up and start over.

sometimes buying new is easier and less frustrating ..

I know its ****** up... :evil:

I put the antenna in a month or so ago and it flew awesome had 3-4 more satts than it usually did... it flew flawlessly then one day BAM its phucked up.

I've been at this all day,If I smoked cigarettes it would of been a carton... :shock: I putting it down for the night, I saved the original gps antenna without breaking it.
maybe Ill solder it back in and see. but In into this hobby and In going to get another one, and that one I'm not touching... guess Ill have to work some Overtime to afford another phantom

goatman said:
I know its ****** up... :evil:

I put the antenna in a month or so ago and it flew awesome had 3-4 more satts than it usually did... it flew flawlessly then one day BAM its phucked up.

I've been at this all day,If I smoked cigarettes it would of been a carton... :shock: I putting it down for the night, I saved the original gps antenna without breaking it.
maybe Ill solder it back in and see. but In into this hobby and In going to get another one, and that one I'm not touching... guess Ill have to work some Overtime to afford another phantom
B9DmIqv.jpg

i just bought this. maybe you should to satisfy your need to fly.. and resolder your old gps puck back in when you feel up to it :mrgreen:

lol thanks bud for the kind thoughts I have one of those hubsan mini copters that I started with before I bought the big one.... Ill satisfy my flight needs with that. .LMAO I guess you have to laugh at it... its only money that's all,, it is just money... I can buy another one... but I want to get to the bottom of this.. so others can learn from my mishaps as I learn from theirs...

goatman said:
lol thanks bud for the kind thoughts I have one of those hubsan mini copters that I started with before I bought the big one.... Ill satisfy my flight needs with that. .LMAO I guess you have to laugh at it... its only money that's all,, it is just money... I can buy another one... but I want to get to the bottom of this.. so others can learn from my mishaps as I learn from theirs...

agreed, its just money...

yea i really hope you do , worse case there are some members on here that from what i understand are really reasonable and have a quick repair turnaround. they will fix and send it back.. if you give up trying or are exhausted from the effort, send it off. still better than buying a new quad.

goatman said:
I cant believe this!!
I have 8 sats fully charged batteries I take off about 60 feet or so and let off the throttle to look at the screen and hit the record button, but its not responding. I look up and its drifting, then it excels by it self tries to go strait up I try to slow it down but no response.
Without further information, it's hard to go past a combination of loss of control signal followed by normal RTH behaviour.
Where was the Phantom .. was it straight up above you?
It would help to have further details of satellite numbers after you hit record.
Have you done the foil mod?
How high did the Phantom ascend?
What RTH height have you set?
Have you tested RTH and are you familiar with how it behaves?

Meta4 said:
goatman said:
I cant believe this!!
I have 8 sats fully charged batteries I take off about 60 feet or so and let off the throttle to look at the screen and hit the record button, but its not responding. I look up and its drifting, then it excels by it self tries to go strait up I try to slow it down but no response.
Without further information, it's hard to go past a combination of loss of control signal followed by normal RTH behaviour.
It would help to have further details of satellite numbers after you hit record.

Yep, all of this needs to be known.

Also there is no possible way to hold a Phantom and expect it to perform properly. The accelerometer/gyro needs to see the micro inputs of movement that you are removing by having your hand on it. This does not work...... and only confuses it more.

burlbark said:
Meta4 said:
goatman said:
I cant believe this!!

Yep, all of this needs to be known.

Also there is no possible way to hold a Phantom and expect it to perform properly. The accelerometer/gyro needs to see the micro inputs of movement that you are removing by having your hand on it. This does not work...... and only confuses it more.

OK let me give as much detail as possible:

the phantom was about 30 feet in front of me about 60 feet in the air
I had 8 satellites

there was no foil mod-the mod I did was solder in a "better antenna" which I got from digikey in a thread on this forum however when I put the existing foil back on I kept the ribbon wire under it.

the RTH is default I never touched that

I never tried the RTH feature, -afraid of losing it

I under stand what your saying about holding it-if I don't it will crash, I have tried it twice( I should have filmed it then) and caused further damage-it broke a prop the first time and second time it received more scrapes.

I tested it outside I started it with no props had 7 satts and after a few seconds it accelerated by itself. I thought maybe cause it didn't have props on it.. so I tried it with.

Im going to remove the GPS module and replace the original ceramic one and see what happens then.

Attachments

• satts mod.JPG
    satts mod.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 352

As others have said and I agree, your problem is not gps related. No offense but your problem is so all over the place is hard to tell what's going on with your bird.

Going back to your original problem, it appears your bird was in manual mode and that caused your crash. Now that you have crashed, it seems you have other problems probably related to that impact.

I hope reverting your gps puck to the original fixes it but I doubt it. I hope you prove us wrong and you are back flying by now.

Do a IMU recalibration! Lots of post on the best way to do it. Read them first you will save yourself time and maybe a few props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31