5 Mile Airport Restriction

Reaction score
Ok so I get that FAA wants us to stay below 400 feet anywhere. But with the 5 mile airport restriction, what does that actually mean? My entire town is within 5 miles of a small rural airport. So does that mean you can't fly AT ALL within that 5 mile zone? Or is up to 50 feet or 100 feet OK? I mean if there is an airplane flying 100ft AGL over my city then I'm not the one who needs to be reported to FAA... Has there been any clarification on this?

Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport means don't fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Is it likely doing so will cause an issue if you're sensible - No

Will the FAA, your neighbours, the media take that into account if something goes wrong - Also no

Do everyone a favour and take it outside the 5 mile radius, if that's too much effort, there's plenty of people who'll buy a 2nd hand one.

You just need to notify the tower and or manager of your flight intentions. If you are planning on regularly flying in that area you may be able to work out an arrangement of altitude and flight path that does not interfere with the air traffic. I am in a similar situation and have worked out an agreement with my local tower.

While you don't need permission (just need to notify) it is in the best interest of all involved to work out an agreement.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport means don't fly within 5 miles of an airport.

Is it likely doing so will cause an issue if you're sensible - No

Will the FAA, your neighbours, the media take that into account if something goes wrong - Also no

Do everyone a favour and take it outside the 5 mile radius, if that's too much effort, there's plenty of people who'll buy a 2nd hand one.
Many folks are on the edge of the 5 mile radius (say 4.5 to 4.9 miles) the altitude of departing and arriving aircraft is really not that much different in those ranges. Also private aircraft vary in climb rate quite a bit. Flying at 400 agl at the 5 mile boarder may be much more dangerous to air traffic than say 200 agl at the 4.8 mile radius.

Just FYI. In the City of Los Angeles, a new law has been passed (not yet signed) which requires not notification but PRIOR EXPRESS PERMISSION before flying within 5 miles of an airport. And no this does not just apply to LAX. This is the insanity we have reached (yes, I realize this is California, after all) where at any given flying location, you have to figure out FAA rules, state rules, and local rules, all of which are basically conflicting.

http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2015/15-0927_misc_09-17-2015.pdf

Do everyone a favour and take it outside the 5 mile radius, if that's too much effort, there's plenty of people who'll buy a 2nd hand one.[/QUOTE]

There is a jerk in every group...

You must be careful, that's common sense. Given it's a small airport the controller firmware will likely let you take off. For larger class airports the firmware won't let you take off if you're too close. With medium size non commercial airports the perimeter seems to be less, that's what I've noticed, it's less than 5mi. And if you fly toward a NFZ and get close, the controller will warn that you are approaching a NFZ, at which time you should turn around. With small community private aircraft airports there is often no warnings and no firmware take-off restrictions, so you have to be cognizant to do the right thing. So if you're at a local park, and not in the flight path, don't do anything stupid, stay low and close, be safe, stay within the park. Never fly FPV close to any airport regardless of size, always LOS, but if you're a mile or two away from the end of a runway of a small airport, you should be OK flying at 60 or 70' for stick practice, but it's not legal, just understand that. If a neighbor complains you could be in trouble. Stay away from the landing path areas of small airports, you're asking for trouble doing that, and the glide path can change with the wind of course.

Bottom line though, it's better to get out of town to fly and get 5mi away. It's boring in town anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daren0477
You just need to notify the tower and or manager of your flight intentions. If you are planning on regularly flying in that area you may be able to work out an arrangement of altitude and flight path that does not interfere with the air traffic. I am in a similar situation and have worked out an agreement with my local tower.

While you don't need permission (just need to notify) it is in the best interest of all involved to work out an agreement.
This information is correct. Notify, nothing more -

Public Law 112-95, Section 336 requires model aircraft operators to notify the airport operator and air traffic control tower (if one is located at the airport) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

One thing that has been discussed recently is the fact that frequent calls to an ATCT could disrupt normal tower functions and possibly create a safety risk. Therefore, the FAA is considering developing an electronic notification process through future app they are beta testing.

Reactions: StumbleBee
Where I live, the airports have no clue how to deal with notification. They certainly won't give out tower telephone numbers. At one airport, they told me to "leave a message for the noise abatement department." At another: "call the airport manager." BTW, these are medium to medium-large GA and air carrier airports. One would expect an air carrier airport to know how to deal with UAS notification issues.

Nevertheless, this is arguably fine for "notification." But as I previously posted, what happens in locations where you are required to get "express ATC permission?" Good luck with that.

Reactions: skyhighdiver

There is a jerk in every group...

Lol, sorry if it seems I'm a jerk. What I mean is I assume you fall within say the 3-5 miles range (because if your less than 3 miles away I hope you're not even considering it). In which case you need to travel a mere 2 miles to fly without risking any repercussions. Is that such a big deal? Is there anything that exciting right on your doorstep which makes you want to fly there at the risk of breaking the regs?

Last edited:
The simple fact is that you are not violating any of the existing laws or guidelines if you notify. Also to think you are safer at the edge of the radius vs just inside is ridiculous. If the OP notifies they are compliant. If they work with the tower to establish a safe altitude and pattern they are acting with much more responsibility than someone who assumes that they are good to go 5.1 miles from the airport.

The bottom line is you need to understand your flight environment. Flying from your local area gives you an advantage to know where lower flying helicopters (In my case not related to the airport) generally pass through.

However flying 1-2 miles within a busy airport is not a good idea in most circumstances.

Ok so I get that FAA wants us to stay below 400 feet anywhere. But with the 5 mile airport restriction, what does that actually mean? My entire town is within 5 miles of a small rural airport. So does that mean you can't fly AT ALL within that 5 mile zone? Or is up to 50 feet or 100 feet OK? I mean if there is an airplane flying 100ft AGL over my city then I'm not the one who needs to be reported to FAA... Has there been any clarification on this?

Why not take the time to check to see what class your local airport is. No FLY Zones | DJI

The system is still a mess. I used to call a lot. Then they started asking for personally identifiable information at which point I was concerned that if someone else did something foolish, I would be maybe the only one on their minds.....visions of SWAT teams breaking my door down come to mind...

We can hope "they" are wise enough to realize that someone who calls and notifies them probably isn't the same moron flying across the runways and buzzing the tower.

But no guarantees

Sure you might be able to prove later it wasn't you....after you have to pay 5,000 to repair your home and your poodle is dead.

Reactions: redmoe
5 miles from a major airport. 3 miles from a midsized airport. 2 miles from a heliport or seaplane base. Pretty ridiculous rules. Meanwhile RC hobbyists who in many cases have much larger aircraft never had such rules prior to drone hype right?

I'm at 4.75 miles from an airport. I call the tower, they do not answer. How can I fly?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj