5.8ghz vs 2.4ghz ( range and quality of signal )

Reaction score
Hi
Just wondered if everyone using their 5.8ghz visions are happy with range ( knowing it's less than 2.4ghz) and how much if any interference or issues near tress etc?

Reading up online I've heard users mention that 5.8ghz has some object penetration issues compared to 2.4ghz !?

Any feedback from actual users would be much appreciated ... Thanks :)

There seems to be a lot of variation in stock condition, and I think a lot of that is dependent on your local geography and the level of RF where you fly. For example I tend to run out of control signal at about 1000ft in any direction (including up), often before I run out of wifi. I tend to fly in fairly standard British lightly rolling countryside with trees, hedges and "stuff" in the landscape. It's been pretty wet round here, though, and I know moisture and humidity aren't friends to reception. I'm gong to try modding my tx with a different 5.8 antenna shortly and see what difference that makes. Others who fly are reporting losing video way before losing control and pushing control out beyond 1.5km without any tx mods...

In terms of interference on 5.8? Never had any. Only time I've lost signal is due to distance, never anything else and no untoward behaviour.

Pull_Up said:
There seems to be a lot of variation in stock condition, and I think a lot of that is dependent on your local geography and the level of RF where you fly. For example I tend to run out of control signal at about 1000ft in any direction (including up), often before I run out of wifi. I tend to fly in fairly standard British lightly rolling countryside with trees, hedges and "stuff" in the landscape. It's been pretty wet round here, though, and I know moisture and humidity aren't friends to reception. I'm gong to try modding my tx with a different 5.8 antenna shortly and see what difference that makes. Others who fly are reporting losing video way before losing control and pushing control out beyond 1.5km without any tx mods...

In terms of interference on 5.8? Never had any. Only time I've lost signal is due to distance, never anything else and no untoward behaviour.

Thanks for the reply ....
Interesting and useful information. I've actually got an FC40 but they are basically the same when it comes the 5.8ghz range. I actually purchased it not realising that the 5.8 had a reduced range and also I thought it had a gamble pitch control lever on the rear of the tax which it doesn't although if I'm not mistaken the adjustment is there but just need a 3rd party lever. Is that correct? I don't have any use for the stock camera and want to add a 2.4ghz fpv which I already had from previous set ups. I've been offered a return and refund or small part refund if I keep it as the supplier made a mistake in the advert stating it had a gamble lever. I was interested in range for full use of the fpv but still can't make my mind up whether to just keep the fc40 . If i do then I save a bit with the part refund but if I go for the 2.4ghz phantom then I will have to purchase a whole new fpv setup which will around £200 but will have full range. If I knew that with 5.8 I get less interference than 2.4 then I would rather have the chance of less tx issues than the extra range. I need to make my mind up this weekend.
I also live in wet UK lol
Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik