5.8G FPV 14dbi High Gain Panel Antenna

Reaction score
Is it fair to say that this antenna gives you the most 5.8 ghz distance? 5.8G FPV 14dbi High Gain Panel Antenna. This seems to be the longest reaching antenna that I have used on my transmitter. My 10 dbi RHCP FPVLR even amplified doesn't given me as good distance. Any other suggestions? Or is this the best deal out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Receiver- ... QXGWCGTD16

When I looked into this antenna I think the only downside is you have to aim very accurately. :)

Depends on what you are looking for....

For longest range it's this PRA50019 from itelite... http://shop.neobits.com/mobi-itelite_pra50019_radio_antenna_5_ghz_19_dbi_h_v_pol_1035256012.php
I've had it out at 4 miles and never even had a glitch with control yet... but you have to be accurate with aim... case dimensions are big but the panel that comes out is only 6" x 6"

Then the one you posted for good long range with wider beamwidth so you have extra play with aiming it... good, solid antenna :ugeek:

nhoover said:
I've used that 14dBi Docooler to 2.5 miles and it works great. It's small and light and cheap.

I just ordered one of these as well yesterday for my new setup. Did you do anything to the copter to get out to 2.5 miles?
Also what about the FPV side? I ordered a couple dipole antennas also for the WiFi repeater when I don't want to drag out the new panel antenna that DBS suggested.

Here is the new antenna on the advice of DBS.
http://www.linktechs.net/productcart/pc ... tegory=122

Long range flights here I come.

I used this exact antenna (the one in your first post) and a 12db flat panel before tt... Both were a nice upgrade over stock.

recently switched to to 16db LHCP (as I believe receivers are LHCP, right ??) and the LHCP has provided best range so far.

*edit* I was using it for R/C though... not FPV.

If you are in Australia I'm happy to lend you the 14db one so you can test it.

Did more testing with the 14dbi panel?
Works well for distance (didn't do a proper range test) but height maxed out at low 400's feet.

LHCP antenna also had the same range and much better height ?

Perhaps its just my setup, but I'm going back to using the LHCP ?

Would be interested to hear others testing ?

Hoping this weekend to do a full distance test..

There is no way that little patch has 14dBi of gain. It looks to be 1" - 1.5" square, and that aperture is too small to achieve 14 dBi. I have built this Backfire array in a 4" can, and it achieves 14 dBi, L.H.C.P. with Axial Ratio of <1 dB, and a V.S.W.R. of <1.2 @ 5.8 GHz. The 3dB beamwidth is 45°
You simply cannot get that kind of gain at 5.8 GHzfrom an aperture that small.

Attachments

• Front-View.jpg
    Front-View.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • Side-View.jpg
    Side-View.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,419
Reactions: dirkclod
Bear501 said:
I just ordered one of these as well yesterday for my new setup. Did you do anything to the copter to get out to 2.5 miles?
Also what about the FPV side?

With the Android booster app I was getting FPV with the stock repeater to about 7500'. I upgraded the repeater antennas and have had FPV working to over 12,000' using a 14 dBi TP-link 2.4Ghz antenna (kind of big, mounted on a tripod). There's still battery power to go further if you're just doing distance, but I prefer doing flights where I go somewhere, like flying up to the top of a mountain and back. This range is pretty much far enough for me although it would be fun to push it more. Would need upgraded antennas on the copter and/or amps.

nhoover said:
With the Android booster app I was getting FPV with the stock repeater to about 7500'. I upgraded the repeater antennas and have had FPV working to over 12,000' using a 14 dBi TP-link 2.4Ghz antenna (kind of big, mounted on a tripod). There's still battery power to go further if you're just doing distance, but I prefer doing flights where I go somewhere, like flying up to the top of a mountain and back. This range is pretty much far enough for me although it would be fun to push it more. Would need upgraded antennas on the copter and/or amps.

You were getting over seven thousand feet with just the stock repeater? I can barely get three thousand feet with mine and that's with running the booster app. Also that is with perfect line of sight because I live on top of a hill and I fly it downhill from me with no obstructions between me and the phantom.

Is it fair to say that this antenna gives you the most 5.8 ghz distance? 5.8G FPV 14dbi High Gain Panel Antenna. This seems to be the longest reaching antenna that I have used on my transmitter. My 10 dbi RHCP FPVLR even amplified doesn't given me as good distance. Any other suggestions? Or is this the best deal out there?

http://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Receiver- ... QXGWCGTD16
This thread is kind of old but I just recently got this antenna after being disappointed by a "individually tuned" circular coil antenna that costs 6 time more that this one. I was pleasantly surprised at the almost doubling of range through trees using DJI's 500 kw TX (with cloverleaf antenna). Found that if video was starting to cut out through the trees a rise of altitude brought it right back and that's at over 1800' distance at very low altitude.

I'm using the Flysight diversity RX with a cloverleaf on the other side and notice the panel antenna stays 'hot' almost all the time except when the craft gets behind me.

This thread is kind of old but I just recently got this antenna after being disappointed by a "individually tuned" circular coil antenna that costs 6 time more that this one. I was pleasantly surprised at the almost doubling of range through trees using DJI's 500 kw TX (with cloverleaf antenna). Found that if video was starting to cut out through the trees a rise of altitude brought it right back and that's at over 1800' distance at very low altitude.

I'm using the Flysight diversity RX with a cloverleaf on the other side and notice the panel antenna stays 'hot' almost all the time except when the craft gets behind me.
WOW.....So your Transmitting 500 Thousand Watts on 2.4G........That's enough Power to Power every home in San Francisco .....I'll bet that Transmitter cost's Millions of Dollars.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20